Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
But if I were Apple I would worry about next year. I think with the Air2 Apple has hit a plateau. I do not think they will be able to do much to make the next model much better.

There are people working at Apple whose job it is to worry about next year, and to try to prove you wrong.

Everything that can be invented has been invented.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
64 GB Space Gray WIFI + Cellular seems to be the best selling model. It is the only one thats shipping time has slipped to 4 - 6 days. All other models and colors are 2 - 4 days.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Looks like the Space Grey-64GB-LTE model is the first to slip. It now shows 4-6 business day availability.

That's the exact model I went for. Glad I got my order in when it was still 2-4 days.

----------

64 GB Space Gray WIFI + Cellular seems to be the best selling model.

Not necessarily. They could have made fewer of that specific model. I can't imagine they make exactly the same number of each configuration.

But yes... One would *expect* that combo to be popular, and for Apple to make a lot of them. That it sold out first is interesting.

----------

The Space Grey-128GB-LTE model just dropped to 4-6 days, too. Maybe the Cellular models are proving more popular this time around?

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I'm getting one. I purchased a iPad retina when they first came out, but sold it because I didn't use it in favor of my laptop.

Now that I don't really do work on my personal computer anymore it's like a gigantic iPad. :(

Can't wait :D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Mini3, 128 GB, semi-black ... finally I can get all my music on this big iPod Touch Maxi, I mean, iPad Mini.

I tried a small memory version for the last 6 month and happy with the format; so I upgrade now to the memory I wanted and pass the current one to our little one. Good for :apple:, good for me :D, good for my son :)

phantom5251

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Michigan
Started to fill out order on app, but then checked site when it went back up and went through site (wanted to get Barclaycard portal points, nerd I know :)), and got iPad Air 2 Space Gray 64 GB WiFi at 2-4 business days and black case for 1-3 business days. Looks like the temporary authorizations on the CC have showed up already too. Despite the wait for the site to come back up, much smoother than ordering an iPhone!

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Mini3, 128 GB, semi-black ... finally I can get all my music on this big iPod Touch Maxi, I mean, iPad Mini.

I tried a small memory version for the last 6 month and happy with the format; so I upgrade now to the memory I wanted and pass the current one to our little one. Good for :apple:, good for me :D, good for my son :)

You actually bought a Mini3?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Think of it this way: Apple is offering the last iPad mini with some minor updates (as you mentioned) for the same price this year. The last iPad mini has been therefore discounted to a lower price point favoring a customer group to whom $100 is a big difference.

Somehow I think this would have been more palatable if last years model was discontinued, offering them side by side seems to exaggerate the price difference. You get very little for your $100.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
When does this actually come out? Next Friday?

My guess is next Thursday or Friday (maybe Wednesday if we're lucky). The delivery estimate for my iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi+Cellular (ordered about 5 minutes after the store went back up) is October 23-27th.

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
128GB Air 2. Had one of EVERY model since the first. Why end the streak now?

Non-reflective screen is enough for me. (But might return if it turns out to only be 1GB RAM.)

Not sure why people are so obsessed with iDevices having more ram. Its obviously not that important as far as improving performance so why worry. Does it work? Yes, Is it fast? yes, Does it allow you to perform all functions you expect to perform? yes.. Now why the hell is ram so important??? lol.. Do these people even understand what ram does? Sheesh

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Somehow I think this would have been more palatable if last years model was discontinued, offering them side by side seems to exaggerate the price difference. You get very little for your $100.

I think there still would have been anger that there was no price drop given the old hardware, but yes, psychologically, offering the Mini 2 for $100 less alongside the nearly identical Mini 3 does exaggerate the difference. If they had ditched the Mini 2 and offered the Mini 3 at $349/$449/$549, do you think the reaction would have been better? Sure, it's "last year's hardware" but at a $50 price drop, plus Touch ID?

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012

To me, that is similar to the discussion whether or not a RAM upgrade e.g. from 64GB to 128GB is worth what Apple is asking for it. In the end, the market will decide.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Not sure why people are so obsessed with iDevices having more ram. Its obviously not that important as far as improving performance so why worry. Does it work? Yes, Is it fast? yes, Does it allow you to perform all functions you expect to perform? yes.. Now why the hell is ram so important??? lol.. Do these people even understand what ram does? Sheesh

Maybe more RAM would keep Safari pages from reloading with a few tabs open?

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
The only spec I consider when buying Apple products now is whether it is thinner. As long as it is Our Thinnest _______ Ever ! ! !, I buy.

Really. Promise.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Ordered a Space Gray 64GB ATT Cellular.

Interesting thing to me is that unlike previous iPad pre-orders which had hard launch day delivery dates, the Air 2 has a broader delivery date between Wednesday prior to launch day and launch day.

This cuts down on added shipping charges for Apple, but I wonder if also embedded in this strategy is to get more "social" amateur reviews prior to it hitting stores to juice interest (the whole keep up with the Jones routine). Of course, the delivery companies might also have told Apple it's too much of a burden to hold all packages and deliver every order on one day.

Or the delivery range info on the Apple site was just wrong.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I think what most people complain about is the tab reloading issue in Safari. And yes, these people understand what RAM does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.