Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Best Buy doesn't have the LTE models up for preorder. I want to use my discover card/shopdiscover to get 10% back. What to do?

Use your Discover Card and Discover Deals to get 10% when purchasing from Apple directly.

(Discover has two shopping portals: ShopDiscover and Discover Deals. Discover Deals does not exclude preorders in the fine print.)

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
There is so much more that can be done for the iPad Air 3...

Physical redesign (even thinner...5.5mm?)
We have probably pretty much reached the end of the road there, mostly due to battery size.
Retina HD+ resolution (5K?)
What for? Nobody is going to be able to see the difference on such a small screen.
built-in digitizer for accurate stylus usage
The day that happens, ice skates will sell out in hell.

I guess there is still further room for upgrading the performance of the iPads. Beyond that (and thanks to that) most other enhancements will probably be in the software area.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Now that you mention it, the temperature difference in each image is significant. Wtf?

The thread is a couple of hours old now, and I am still laughing about this. I think this will still make me chuckle a week from now.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Got my iPad Air 2. It will be nice and snappy compared to my iPad 3. :)

It will be a significant difference in speed for sure, but it was the weight that made the biggest difference for me. It's a pleasure to use and almost impossible to go back to any previous generation of iPad.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
I really don't understand Apple sometimes...why in the HECK would they figure ppl are going to be willing to pay $100 extra JUST for Touch ID...??

Its not $100 EXTRA.

It's the same price as the mini 2 was before the mini 3 was announced.

The mini 2 is $100 CHEAPER than its original price.

Why is that so hard for you to grasp?!

Last edited:

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
How does one get a Verizon cellular model?

There's only one LTE model this time around. Pre-loaded with Apple SIM, which supports 3 of the 4 main carriers. If you want to use Verizon, you go to a Verizon Store to get a Verizon SIM.

----------

Its not $100 EXTRA.

The mini 3 is $100 CHEAPER than its original price.

Yeah, but the only substantive difference between mini 2 and mini 3 is Touch ID. So in making a purchasing decision now, it's $100 more for Touch ID.

DeadSeaMac

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
New iPad Air 2 is a beauty...

...but I'm still very satisfied with my iPad 2 (which I rarely use except for taking notes at meetings) and the Mrs. is more than happy with her 1st Gen iPad Air.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Available in white /gold white/silver and black/space grey

Why not black/gold and black/silver??

Why not in green/silver or purple/space grey (I'd buy that one immediately)? ;) Ultimately, Apple decides what they believe will sell. They are already dealing with 18 different iPad Air 2 models now and probably don't want to deal with 30.

Would be nice though if they'd offer build-to-order models with different colors for a few bucks more.

sweetestbaboon

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2011
Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know how much one will be able to get for trade-in of an iPad Air 32GB at the retail stores or indeed to sell one (on eBay or otherwise)?
Thinking of trading but would like to know what I can get in both scenarios.
Thanks so much!

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Its not $100 EXTRA.

The mini 3 is $100 CHEAPER than its original price.

It is $100 extra considering iPad mini 2 and 3 are exactly the same except for Touch ID on the mini 3.

I'm not sure why Apple even decided to keep selling the mini 2. It makes the mini 3 look like a terrible buy.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, but the only substantive difference between mini 2 and mini 3 is Touch ID. So in making a purchasing decision now, it's $100 more for Touch ID.
Yes, but if you want Touch ID, it's your only option. If you want an iPad Air 2 with 64GB instead of 16GB, you also have to pay $100 more, even though that is the only difference between the two models. Will that keep you from buying the 64GB model?

When I buy something, I determine what I need and how much money I am willing to pay for it. The fact that a model that doesn't have everything I need is available for significantly less money does not change how much I am willing to pay.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think it's weird that there is no firm launch date for store availability, and said availability is supposed to be next week? Did a plane or two go missing or something? Very weird.

I hope that the reviews hit soon so we can see whether or not it has 2GB of RAM. I'll probably buy a 128GB WiFi if it does, and tether it to my iPhone 6 Plus when I need to using the new Instant Hotspot feature. I'm just worried they'll come out with the iPad Pro in March or something and I'll hate myself, lol. But if the iPad Pro only comes in a huge size, then that would suck too.

I've built a number of computers before and understand exactly what RAM does: More RAM means more tabs, recently used apps resuming quicker, and software update longevity. I get more app crashes and Safari errors/reloads on a 64-bit chip than on the old A6 chip in my iPhone 5 because 64-bit processing uses 20-30% more RAM. I also hope that RAM Compression is ported from OS X to iOS, as Apple touted it giving up to 1.5X increase in available memory, but I don't know the limitations or requirements of that technology. My guess is that you need a fast enough processor to compress and decompress on the fly, and hopefully we're to the point where a beast like the A8X can handle that as it's faster than several older desktops that support Yosemite.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Only 1 Wi-Fi + Cellular model (or rather 3 if you count the different colors) since it allows you to choose whatever carrier you want at any time. I am surprised Apple didn't make a big deal about this at the event.

"The new Apple SIM is preinstalled on iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi + Cellular models. The Apple SIM gives you the flexibility to choose from a variety of short-term plans from select carriers in the U.S. and UK right on your iPad. So whenever you need it, you can choose the plan that works best for you — with no long-term commitments. And when you travel, you may also be able to choose a data plan from a local carrier for the duration of your trip."

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...event-cnbc-sees-it-as-a-knockout-feature.html

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Yes, but if you want Touch ID, it's your only option. If you want an iPad Air 2 with 64GB instead of 16GB, you also have to pay $100 more, even though that is the only difference between the two models. Will that keep you from buying the 64GB model?

Oh, totally. I actually don't have a problem with paying $100 more for Touch ID. I'm just arguing that Apple really is charging $100 more for that feature alone (just as they charge $100 more for additional storage, which is also pretty crappy when you consider the parts cost for additional storage).

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Not sure why people are so obsessed with iDevices having more ram. Its obviously not that important as far as improving performance so why worry. Does it work? Yes, Is it fast? yes, Does it allow you to perform all functions you expect to perform? yes.. Now why the hell is ram so important??? lol.. Do these people even understand what ram does? Sheesh
If I could downvote your post I would. The lack of RAM coupled with the 64-bit processor and Safari tabs/other apps constantly reloading is a well documented issue. Just because you don't see it in your use case doesn't mean it is not a problem for others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.