Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marcellus

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Branford, CT
Devicewear is taking pre-orders for their iPad mini Ridge case. Site shows it for $39.95, but there is a pre-order coupon available that takes 50% off, 50OFFMINI (Until 11/17).

http://www.devicewear.com/the-ridge-ipad-mini-case/

I'm thinking that I like this style folio case more than say the Smart Case like folios, or folios similar to the iPad 1 design. If anyone has spotted a similarly designed case on Amazon please point it out to me, specially the ones that snap in and have the back completely covered.

This looks like a great case. A reviewer on You Tube gave it 5 stars. You can get it at Amazon.com for $26.95:
http://www.amazon.com/Slim-iPad-Min...UTF8&colid=13Z71QVEV89X0&coliid=IA8D6NK3TNRPM

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Great case: smooth rotation, auto-wake, grippy texture, Amazon Prime $14.95

Truly appreciate the design of this i-Blason case.

- Neither of the speakers are covered (the Roo case covered the right speaker)

- Smooth rotation from horizontal to vertical

- Auto-wake

- Texture has just the right amount of grippyness to it

- It seems just as strong but is thinner than my Roo case

- It has a little magnetic tab that secures the front case from unintentional opening

The color is definitely more of a grey-grey than the blue-grey in the picture

i-Blason 360 Degrees Rotating Stand Book Shell Case for Apple New iPad Mini Nano iPad 4 Black (With Auto Wake / Sleep Smartcover function) Vertical and Horizontal Stand

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BV7CKA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Marcellus

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Branford, CT
Yeah, it's a great case. I've been through a dozen cases already, and this is still my favorite. $27 is still a good price if they aren't running any codes or promos on Facebook.

A dozen cases??? Which ones would you not recommend? Beside The Ridge, I am looking at the Ultra Slim by Photive:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009UY4BZC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
Invellop Leatherette:
http://www.amazon.com/INVELLOP-Leat...&qid=1353590272&sr=8-1&keywords=invellop+mini
Kensington:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K3...UTF8&colid=13Z71QVEV89X0&coliid=ILCY4TEASV69G

Your feedback here can help many of us make a wise purchase. Thanks for your reply.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
A dozen cases??? Which ones would you not recommend? Beside The Ridge, I am looking at the Ultra Slim by Photive:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009UY4BZC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
Invellop Leatherette:
http://www.amazon.com/INVELLOP-Leat...&qid=1353590272&sr=8-1&keywords=invellop+mini
Kensington:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K3...UTF8&colid=13Z71QVEV89X0&coliid=ILCY4TEASV69G

Your feedback here can help many of us make a wise purchase. Thanks for your reply.

I have not tried any of those cases, but thought about the Photive one a few times. The Kensington looks decent, but at the price you may be better off with the Poetic SlimLine.

So far I have tried the following:

Speck FitFolio
Joy Factory Smart Suit
Bear Motion Folio w/origami like cover
Khomo Folio case
RooCase Folio
KayCase smartcover compatible TPU and Shell cases
Nugadget TPU case
YooBao Executive Leather case
Incipio NGP
Poetic SlimLine
Devicewear Ridgeline
iFrogz Script (Worse case I have tried so far)

To be honest, most of them were pretty good. Especially some of the cheaper Amazon/Ebay cases (i.e. Khomo, RooCase, Poetic), they are good enough and priced low enough that it's hard to justify something pricer or a brand name. To me it all comes down to which style case you like the best. Even some of the folio cases do things differently from each other, and once you figure out which style you like, then it's easier to find a case to fit that style.

I have found that for folios I like the stand style that both Speck and Devicewear use, but I prefer the Devicewear because it covers the entire iPad (Speck exposes part of the back), has the sleep/wake function, and does not need or have the silly clasp (magnets hold the case shut well enough).

If Switcheasy releases the Canvas, then I will need to take a look at that one since it has always used a similar style, so I would want to see how it matches up with the Devicewear Ridge.

copperlab

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
I am looking for the lightest folio type case for ipad mini. I have the one right now by moko from amazon for $6.28. But it is a bit heavy. A little lighter would be great. Any ideas?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Found this case on Marware site. Has Portrait and Landscape. With the black friday deal seems like a good time to try it.

Click Me

----------

I am looking for the lightest folio type case for ipad mini. I have the one right now by moko from amazon for $6.28. But it is a bit heavy. A little lighter would be great. Any ideas?

First, if you refer to a product please include a link.
Second, right now I think the devicewear case is the best overall. Its not heavy.

Marcellus

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Branford, CT
Yeah, it's a great case. I've been through a dozen cases already, and this is still my favorite. $27 is still a good price if they aren't running any codes or promos on Facebook.

Thanks again for your very helpful replies. As it turns out, my sister ordered The Ridge by Devicewear for me as a Christmas present, so my search for a case is over for now. My new iPad mini will also be a Christmas gift and the iPad and the case will arrive at the same time. Will report back with a review then.

winzee

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2008
Joyfactory Smartsuit vs Devicewear ridge

Hi Guys,

i'm having problems deciding between Joy Factory's Smartsuit , Poetic Slim and Devicewear's ridge.

What one would you recommend?

ALso, i noticed that there's no microfibre/suede-like material on the inside of the polycarbonate shell of the ridge. Is it common to get scratches on the back of your ipad mini?

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I think I finally landed on the Speck Fitfolio- there's just one minor gripe I have and that's that I want the wake functionality.

Oh and a loop for a stylus but I've been able to hook it to the spine without it feeling too awkward.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I think I finally landed on the Speck Fitfolio- there's just one minor gripe I have and that's that I want the wake functionality.

Oh and a loop for a stylus but I've been able to hook it to the spine without it feeling too awkward.

I see no good reason for getting the FitFolio, unless you are looking for a specific color or pattern. The Devicewear Ridge is VERY similar, but has several added PROs that were all CONS for me on the FitFolio.

*The Ridge covers the ENTIRE back of the iPad where the FitFolio leaves parts of the back exposed while in stand view.

*The Ridge has sleep/wake feature that the FitFolio does not.

*The Ridge uses magnets to keep the cover shut which is much nicer than the silly clasp the FitFolio uses.

*I got the Ridge for $20 using a coupon code from their Facebook, but it can also be found for ~ $25 on Amazon. The FitFolio is stupidly priced at $35 (Unless you were one of the lucky few to get it for $1 at Target, it's not worth full price).

*The one PRO I will give the FitFolio over the Ridge is the number of colors/patterns it has. Currently the Ridge is only available in three colors (Black, Red, and Blue).

----------

Hi Guys,

i'm having problems deciding between Joy Factory's Smartsuit , Poetic Slim and Devicewear's ridge.

What one would you recommend?

ALso, i noticed that there's no microfibre/suede-like material on the inside of the polycarbonate shell of the ridge. Is it common to get scratches on the back of your ipad mini?

I gave my thoughts in your thread.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I see no good reason for getting the FitFolio, unless you are looking for a specific color or pattern. The Devicewear Ridge is VERY similar, but has several added PROs that were all CONS for me on the FitFolio.

*The Ridge covers the ENTIRE back of the iPad where the FitFolio leaves parts of the back exposed while in stand view.

*The Ridge has sleep/wake feature that the FitFolio does not.

*The Ridge uses magnets to keep the cover shut which is much nicer than the silly clasp the FitFolio uses.

*I got the Ridge for $20 using a coupon code from their Facebook, but it can also be found for ~ $25 on Amazon. The FitFolio is stupidly priced at $35 (Unless you were one of the lucky few to get it for $1 at Target, it's not worth full price).

*The one PRO I will give the FitFolio over the Ridge is the number of colors/patterns it has. Currently the Ridge is only available in three colors (Black, Red, and Blue).

----------

I gave my thoughts in your thread.

When were they $1 at target? That is where i got mine, Black Friday but I paid $27.

Is the Facebook code thing still happening?

The reason I didn't go for that is because it wasn't in the store. I like to see what I get before I buy, and even then ill sometimes utilize the return policy. Also, I kinda dig being able to look at the exposed back sometimes. I almost consider that a feature if the protection isn't sacrificed, and as long as its closed it seems like its not.

I'll definitely look into that one though. One question about it- is its footprint any larger/wider? The Fitfolio JUST squeezes into a front pocket of a bag and I worry with anything else it just wouldn't go.

Thanks

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
When were they $1 at target? That is where i got mine, Black Friday but I paid $27.

Is the Facebook code thing still happening?

The reason I didn't go for that is because it wasn't in the store. I like to see what I get before I buy, and even then ill sometimes utilize the return policy. Also, I kinda dig being able to look at the exposed back sometimes. I almost consider that a feature if the protection isn't sacrificed, and as long as its closed it seems like its not.

I'll definitely look into that one though. One question about it- is its footprint any larger/wider? The Fitfolio JUST squeezes into a front pocket of a bag and I worry with anything else it just wouldn't go.

Thanks

A member discovered the "price error" earlier this month.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1482839/

As for the coupon code for the Devicewear, the one I used expired on the 17th, but apparently they release codes on their facebook pretty often. It's currently available from Amazon for $26.95.

http://www.amazon.com/Slim-iPad-Mini-case-Devicewear/dp/B00A10D00Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353770927&sr=8-1

I can understand if you prefer the open back, but I still feel that $27 is too much to pay for a case that does not utilize the built in sleep/wake feature. As for the size, they appear to be about the same. I can't say for sure since I only have the one iPad mini, but lining up the cases w/o the mini it's very close, but I would say the FitFolio is a little wider due to the clasp.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
White Poetic slimline arrived on Friday. Minus a smudge on the back that I cant seem to get off, it's a very sturdy case. Well worth the $5

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Leather Sleeve for the Mini

Hi,

I came across the really nice leather sleeve from The Leather Shop made for the iPad Mini. I ordered on in burgundy:

http://theleathershop.com/wallet/ipad-mini-sleeve-burgundy.html/

Joe

ipad-mini-sleeve-burgundy-01.jpg

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Before I waste my money and install the Zagg InvisibleSHIELD, should I get the Otterbox case? I can't decide on what I want. Part of me wants a privacy shield, another part of me stays screw it and get the Otterbox, and another part of me says just put the Zagg InvisibileSHIELD on and get a nice case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.