Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donshin

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
iphone activation in SEL

Hey musicfreak81, where are you located? I'm near central Seoul, and I'd be interested in figuring out something with you. Send me a PM and lets meet up sometime. :) :apple:

Good to hear that there are iphone users here in Seoul! But the thing is it is not working here at all. I use mine as a VOIP phone only. but places I daily go for work and meeting have powerful WIFI signals so I use the forwarding service from SKT. It works like this:

Joining SKT's call forwarding service: I think it is free. Just use *71+any phone number you want to receive calls.

Use Skype or IMTEL to get an actual number: mine starts with 070+.

In other words, if your friend calls u with your own number (SKT number maybe), then it goes to 070 number because of the forwarding service.

When WIFI is on, and your iphone is active status, then you can take calls from your iphone in Korea. But the most important thing is: WIFI connection and 'Insomnia mode lol' on your VOIP application.

I am a native Korean living here for 25++ years and I am pretty expertised in this field. I tried so many times to active my Iphone here. Indeed, I called some offices and governmental labs and what they told me was: bluetooth is the one that private authentication cannot be made. you can visit the handling agency of Korea (http://www.rrl.go.kr/eng/index.jsp)

This agency helps to register foreign phones with small fees but Iphone cannot be registered in this country because bluetooth features. Bluetooth features are not defined on their RRA system so bluetooth needs a special registration and it costs so much (few thousand $$) so indivisuals may not be able to do it. IMEI problems seems that iphone users cannot register here but RRA normally helps issuing a new IMEI number. One of my friends are using his verizon phone here in Korea (but it's very old samsung model)

when we used CDMA mode, there is a serial called ESN. and it was pretty easy to copy and we called this as 'bridge'. It's illegal in Korea and it was a big issue on the beggining of this year (Actress Jun Ji Hyeon case).

Unfortunately, even administration of radio/research allowing the usage of iphone here(domestic released version only), foreign iphones cannot be registered here. It's a bad news.:apple:

donshin

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
iphone in Korea

Good to hear that there are iphone users here in Seoul! But the thing is it is not working here at all. I use mine as a VOIP phone only. but places I daily go for work and meeting have powerful WIFI signals so I use the forwarding service from SKT. It works like this:

Joining SKT's call forwarding service: I think it is free. Just use *71+any phone number you want to receive calls.

In other words, if your friend calls u with your own number (SKT number maybe), then it goes to 070 number because of the forwarding service.

When WIFI is on, and your iphone is active status, then you can take calls from your iphone in Korea. But the most important thing is: WIFI connection and 'Insomnia mode lol' on your VOIP application.

I am a native Korean living here for 25++ years and I am pretty expertised in this field. I tried so many times to active my Iphone here. Indeed, I called some offices and governmental labs and what they told me was: bluetooth is the one that private authentication cannot be made. you can visit the handling agency of Korea (http://www.rrl.go.kr/eng/index.jsp)

This agency helps to register foreign phones with small fees but Iphone cannot be registered in this country because bluetooth features. Bluetooth features are not defined on their RRA system so bluetooth needs a special registration and it costs so much (few thousand $$) so indivisuals may not be able to do it. IMEI problems seems that iphone users cannot register here but RRA normally helps issuing a new IMEI number. One of my friends are using his verizon phone here in Korea (but it's very old samsung model)

when we used CDMA mode, there is a serial called ESN. and it was pretty easy to copy and we called this as 'bridge'. It's illegal in Korea and it was a big issue on the beggining of this year (Actress Jun Ji Hyeon case).

Unfortunately, even administration of radio/research allowing the usage of iphone here(if domestic released version possible by apple), foreign iphones (which are purchased outside Korea) cannot be registered here. It's a bad news.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Hi there donshin, thank you for shedding so much light on the iphone situation. After reading your post, I have come up with an idea that I think might work. I was wondering if we could talk on the phone, or skype, and bounce some ideas off each other. Send me a private message with any contact info, if you're willing. Thanks!

Unfortunately, even administration of radio/research allowing the usage of iphone here(if domestic released version possible by apple), foreign iphones (which are purchased outside Korea) cannot be registered here. It's a bad news.

Julbou

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
Good to hear that some people interested about a release in Korea...
It's quite hard to find information about it...

Here is a quite bad news published yesterday...

http://www.telecomskorea.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7188&Itemid=2

KTF's One-Sided Love for iPhone
Written by T_Korea
THURSDAY, 09 APRIL 2009

Despite removal of the main hurdle for foreign handsets into the local market with the abolishment of the mandatory homegrown mobile standard, WIPI, short for Wireless Internet Platform for Interoperability, it appears that it will still take time to bring the Apple iPhone's much-anticipated launch to Korea.

According to a high-ranking official at KTF, which has been in talks with Apple on the release of the iPhone in Korea, Apple has been indifferent to launching the product in the local market.

"We are holding talks with Apple, however, up to now there is no progress yet," Mr. Won-Do Lee, Vice President of the Handset Strategy Office at KTF, said to Telecoms Korea.

KTF is worried about three issues with the iPhone: First, the current iPhone is an older model than other competitive products; second, the iPhone is pricey due to the weakening of the Korean won against the U.S. dollar; third, Apple has no intention of launching the iPhone anymore. Even with these concerns, KTF is trying to negotiate with Apple, Mr. Lee said.

Meanwhile, KTF continues its cooperative effort with Nokia for the Finnish company's smartphone line-up. And KTF will soon release an additional smartphone by a foreign maker.

While waiting for a release, I'm using an ipod touch 2G with KT NESPOT service: unlimited access to all NESPOT Access Point (almost everywhere in Seoul) for 3000 KRW (little bit more than 2 USD / less than 2 EUR)...

But not as convenient as an iPhone...

monoxera

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Hello. Im having the same issue as everyone here.

Like mentioned above, I will try to change the IMEI number of my Korean cellphone on my iPhone and see if that will work.

Btw, do you accept private messages? Do you use AIM / MSN?

juyoung

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
iPhone 3G approved by the MIC

To anyone interested if the iPhone 3G works in South Korea in non-roaming mode...

Looks like you're all in luck.

The Ministry of Information and Communication (MIC)'s Radio Research Agency (kind of like the FCC of Korea) has approved the iPhone 3G today.

RRA iPhone 3G Approval Page

Mind you, it's not the new model but now that the iPhone 3G has been "approved", there's nothing stopping you from going to your local KT or SKT store next Monday and demanding them to add your phone to their whitelist. If they don't allow you to sign up, then give KT or SKT a call and tell them it is illegal to deny a MIC-approved phone from usage and service.

Good luck!

BTW, it looks like the head office has applied for approval, not the local Apple Korea, which means Apple has plans to sell unlocked iPhone in Korea (like HK) although it's mere speculation at the moment.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
!!!!!!!! Wow !!!!!!!!!

Looks like you're all in luck.

The Ministry of Information and Communication (MIC)'s Radio Research Agency (kind of like the FCC of Korea) has approved the iPhone 3G today.

RRA iPhone 3G Approval Page

Mind you, it's not the new model but now that the iPhone 3G has been "approved", there's nothing stopping you from going to your local KT or SKT store next Monday and demanding them to add your phone to their whitelist. If they don't allow you to sign up, then give KT or SKT a call and tell them it is illegal to deny a MIC-approved phone from usage and service.

Good luck!

BTW, it looks like the head office has applied for approval, not the local Apple Korea, which means Apple has plans to sell unlocked iPhone in Korea (like HK) although it's mere speculation at the moment.

Wow! This is amazing news! Thank you for your time in finding this out! Just after the announcement of the iPhone 3Gs at WWDC earlier this week, I preordered one (with an AT&T contract). I'm a Korean-American living in Korea, so my brother is going to receive the phone and mail it to me... I just hope that I can work some unlocking magic on it.

In terms of having a phone added to SKT/KT's whitelist, is it hard? Where do I go to have it done? I'm with SKT right now, and I wouldn't mind staying with the company.

Do I just go to one of the millions of hole in the wall shops where they sell cell phones? Or do I have to go to a T-world store? Maybe a huge service center like the one in Yongsan?

Can I just print out the approval in the link you posted and take it to them?

Also... I ordered the iPhone 3Gs, not the iPhone 3G. Will that make a big difference? I know from experience that nothing in Korea goes without catch... but seeing as how iPhones sold in different countries all bear different model numbers, I guess I could just make that excuse...

Also do you have Skype? NateOn? MSN? I would love to bounce ideas off each other and see if we can get this working :)

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
While you are waiting for iPhone to officially come to Korea, get LG's latest Prada II. I believe the price is around $1,000 with subsidy. ;)

Attachments

• lgprada2.jpg
    lgprada2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 142

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
If they don't allow you to sign up, then give KT or SKT a call and tell them it is illegal to deny a MIC-approved phone from usage and service.

Good luck!

Illegal by who's law? US or Korea? No way they will sign your iPhone up before APPLE launches iPhone in Korea OFFICIALLY.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Welcome to Korea, unless you are Korean you won't be able to get a SIM card in Korea. I travel often here in Asia and Korea is not very tourist friendly. Everything in Korea is made for locals only. Country is very patriotic, you will see that nearly everything there is Korean and made for Koreans. If you find a SIM card that caters to non-locally made phones for non-locals let me know:rolleyes:

You can buy a SIM car in Thailand,Taiwan,Hong-Kong, Manila, Singapore,China, etc.. except for Korea and Japan:rolleyes: Other Asian countries should not allow Koreans to buy SIM cards in there countries either, maybe then they will change their policies into allowing tourists and visitors the option to buy a local SIM card while visiting in town instead of paying outrageous roaming charges:eek:

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Here's what I get when I insert one of my students' SIM cards into my unlocked 3G. I get this with some SIMs, but with others I get a 'network restricted' error.

I was hoping that the 3GS would come to Korea, but still nothing, and I am flamingly pissed off about it. Check out my rant:

http://mikeinkorea.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/no-iphone-3g-for-korea-again/

Yeah, I made that graphic myself. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    101.6 KB · Views: 158

juyoung

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
Illegal by who's law? US or Korea? No way they will sign your iPhone up before APPLE launches iPhone in Korea OFFICIALLY.

Obviously Korea? I don't even live in the United States.

s4yunkim said:
Can I just print out the approval in the link you posted and take it to them?

However, I'm not 100% sure whether it's stipulated in KOREAN law that phones approved by the MIC must be approved on the whitelist at customer's requests.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
Obviously Korea? I don't even live in the United States.

However, I'm not 100% sure whether it's stipulated in KOREAN law that phones approved by the MIC must be approved on the whitelist at customer's requests.

hmm interesting...I might have a go at them see how everything goes~
I was just going to give up and get KT Wibro Egg when I go to Korea for Holidays in two weeks time...

http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipViewByVid.do?vid=RzeV5HxFQrE$

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I'm interested in this topic as I will be travelling there later this year.
Hope you guys figure out a way to use it there.

lightizet

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Suwon
White Whale BBQ

Well like the rest of you i have been obcessively trying to obtain, and actually use the iphone and a phone here (in Korea) ....Only to be continously @#$% on so to say. It's good news that the 3G was given regulatory approval to sell here but i am pretty sure everyone wants the 3G.

I wonder if they will gain approval for the 3gs after it is released in the US? I thought one of the reasons for the delay after April 1st was they were simply waiting for the new model to come like everyone else. (well of course among other reasons too....)

Also i really just want to buy a 3GS while i am visiting the US this summer and bring it back here, but what i worry is that it won't work even when and if the 3G is sold over here, even with a SIM. As far as the White List thing goes, I dunno. I need to get more info T---T has anyone here had any progress? Or should we just keep waiting and waiting?

P.S Hello everyone! Nice to meet you! lol

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Now I'm just waiting...

So... because of the recent flurry of attention to this topic after the release of the iPhone 3gs, I've been racking my brain again with trying to find a way to use the iPhone in Korea. I might be onto something, but I won't get hopes up until I can test it myself. I ordered an iPhone 3GS and as soon as my brother in the US gets it, he's gonna send it over to me here in Seoul, so I'll actually have one to work with.

I just need the iPhone dev team to release an unlock for the iPhone 3Gs.. and I might be able to get it working here in Seoul. (Looks like they've got a software unlock for the iPhone 3G with 3.0 firmware, I guess only time will tell if it works on the iPhone 3Gs)

I will keep everyone posted on my results here...

arsenius

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
So... because of the recent flurry of attention to this topic after the release of the iPhone 3gs, I've been racking my brain again with trying to find a way to use the iPhone in Korea. I might be onto something, but I won't get hopes up until I can test it myself. I ordered an iPhone 3GS and as soon as my brother in the US gets it, he's gonna send it over to me here in Seoul, so I'll actually have one to work with.

I just need the iPhone dev team to release an unlock for the iPhone 3Gs.. and I might be able to get it working here in Seoul. (Looks like they've got a software unlock for the iPhone 3G with 3.0 firmware, I guess only time will tell if it works on the iPhone 3Gs)

I will keep everyone posted on my results here...

Just so you know, the iPhone Dev team hasn't found a way to allow changing of the IMEI for the 3g, so it will probably be a long time before they figure it out for the 3gs.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I've been going a little nuts about the iPhone in Korea too, but this thread has been highly informative.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
has anyone actually seen the iPhone in Korea yet?

i just bought an iPod touch and need to return it if this news is true.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I'm a second generation Korean from Canada living in Korea for the past w/e months here. I brought my iPhone 3G and tried like EVERYTHING (factory unlocked) to get it to work in Korea.

However, there's good news. KTF is bringing iPhone 3G in July, and a month after SKT is bringing iPhone 3GS according to the news and the rumors here.

Apple negotiated with both KTF and SKT on the release of the iPhone for the past year... and that's the result..

However, it's just a PAIN IN THE ARSE to use ANY other phones than the ones that were programmed by the carriers themselves. For example, I have a T*OMNIA that I use, can't do internet banking, no T-Money, no nothing.

So I had to get a second phone (like, a second number because I can't give up the Windows Mobile or some sort of smartphones) for me to use online banking and stuff.

Ugh.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
in that case, i am goin to return my iPod touch. no need for it if i could get the iphone in Korea. :)

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
actually.. i was wondering. the iPhone in Korea will be EXACTLY the same as the one in the States correct?? and is the WI-FI capabilities the same as the iPod Touch?? so i can get free internet wherever there is a connection??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.