Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toml2003

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

As much as I want it to be a redesigned iPhone 5, it's not looking good. But would they really wait 16 months and release a phone that looks the same and call it iPhone 4s... That's a terrible name in my opinion. 3GS worked because it's still the 3rd iPhone. But this will be the 5th...

I mean, what has the iPhone hardware team been doing for the last 16 months?

Also I think they are changing the product launch order, so I expect the next iPad to be announce at WWDC. Not in march/April...

Just hope they blow us away tomorrow.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
18 months for an A5 and 3 extra mega pixel's in my camera....

As much as I love Apple and the iPhone, I can't help but feel utterly underwhelmed...

Arne-IC

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
Germany
iPhone 4S: Yes - iPhone 5: May be

The German Vodafone page just reveals that iPhone 4 bumpers will fit to iPhone 4S as well. The news on this is, there will be an iPhone 4S. However, this does not tell anything, whether an iPhone 5 will be released too or not. Tuesday around noon we will know.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
When I said it's not an iPhone 5, I was referring to the fact that this iPhone 4s will not have the legit and substantial improvements (be it external and internal improvements) compared to the iPhone 5. And the fact that apple will be making more profit out of the iphone4s doesnt mean jack to me AT ALL. How does their profit matter to the consumer???

Since when has apple (or any major money making organisation for that matter) cared about what the consumer actually wants?

Apple more than any other compnay has proven it can put out high priced , minor updates every year and have record sales, if they slapped an apple logo on a turd and called it the iDump enough people would buy it and swear blind it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Dont get me wrong, i like my macbook pro, but im not a blind apple follower, my MBP is the old one, not the unibody, it does its job, and i dont need to upgade it to fit in with the crowd, if the iPhone 1 had 3G network capability i would never have upgraded to a 3Gs, if the 3Gs/4 had better battery life i would probably have upgrade to the 4, or maybe even stayed with the 3Gs instead of having a Samsung Galaxy SII (android OS sucks, but my phone now lasts 16hrs on a single charge instead of 6-8hrs).

I love my iPad too, but see no need to shell out on an iPad 2 a year later.

Apple has created an expectation in its "devout followers" that there will be a new model every year, and that they must buy it or else be "unworthy" or something, its quite disturbing actually, i remember the days when you bought something that expensive, and you expected it to last 5-10 years, now 18months passes and people are looking at the tech they bought as if owning it is the same as being hitlers best mate and going out on puppy killing nights. madness.

what happened to the days when you bought something and was happy with it until it no longer fullfilled the purpose it was purchased, or until it broke.

immunezone

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
IDTS
Ever heard of the weekend?

I love how these rumours just come in at all times. Coming from Europe and spending much time there, I will tell you right now that those people respect weekends. Everything is closed. EVERYTHING

Nobody breathes on weekends. As a matter of fact already friday afternoon at 1pm the weekend starts. Until Monday morning.

These rumours are fake, I know now.

As far as the iPhone, it will be an iPhone 4S period. What is it with everyone wanting a new design. The iPhone 4's design is the best ever. Secondly it seems like people care more about new body style then a better iPhone.

KK

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
At this point I don't know what people were expecting. What did you think that there'd be inside iPhone 5? An i7m processor? 8GB ram?

Except the case redesign, an iPhone 5 would include the exact same internals as an iPhone 4S. So all this fuss is about the case? Are you kidding me?

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
seems likely it will be a 4s

question is why you all upgrade if the improves are A5 chip, better camera, more ram?

be interesting if the assistant touch will be available on the iphone 4.

if its the same iphone 4 with just an 8mp camera and better cpu i ll stay with my 14month iphone 4, no way i ll pay a fortune to apple for the same phone :cool:

----------

18 months for an A5 and 3 extra mega pixel's in my camera....

As much as I love Apple and the iPhone, I can't help but feel utterly underwhelmed...

this is my thought also !!

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I for one will be picking up the next one no matter what it is, one because I like having the new iPhone kid on the block, two because I get an upgrade every year and three, I'm not a poor sap and can afford it even off contract. Even if it is a 4s, what's not to love...... Faster processor, yes please. More RAM, awesome. Assistant, does anyone have anything that will compete with it? I don't know but it sounds pretty damn cool. All of you threatening to go to another device ffs please do it.....go......enjoy your new device but stop talking about it and do it already!

I will surprised and disappointed if the new iPhone is simply a beefed up iPhone 4. When the 3GS came out it was a huge improvement over the outgoing model and was a turning point in many people finally adopting an iPhone. The iPhone 4 was a flawed device - a poor design, uncomfortable to hold, reception problems and a screen / back made of brittle glass that shattered too often.

Whilst updated internals are always welcome and iOS 5 is fantastic the lack of marrying that to an improved design is a poor show from Apple and I suspect many will not upgrade their iPhone 4 to a 4S.

Says you..... Many have had no reception issues, shattered glass, it's way better to hold than the 3g/3gs, and it's the best designed smart phone IMHO. It's not Apple's fault people can't take care of their $700 device. I have not a scratch on mine after over a year of use. A few drops and still looks almost as good as the day I bought it. SO just because YOU can't handle your phone and abuse it, doesn't mean the adults who own one can't.
Glad you're not upgrading, it will leave a phone for someone that appreciates the beauty and safistication glass and steel gives you.

If, as it looks likely there is no major redesign it will be interesting to see if the whole antenna thing rears its head again. I thought they would have had a major redesign to separate it in peoples minds.

What antenna thing are you speaking of? I've never had any issue with mine, neither has my wife, mom, dad, borther, sister in law......

The believers in 5ers (people who believe in the 5) are losing numbers each day. The 4S on the other hand are gaining believers. It feels good I was one of the first. A bit like being the first atheist.
Yeah, you being "one of the first" reminds me of some saying..... how does it go again..... oh yeah, it's like winning in the special olympics.... I'm sure you know the rest.

...... there is NO CHANCE they would bring out a larger screen as it would mess up there entire back catalogue of Apps etc NO CHANCE.
I for one will be moving to the Nexus Prime or Galaxy S3 when it comes out. Also I believe tomorrow's announcement is going to be a major fail.
Yeah because Apple will NEVER change their screen size... of course they don't want to mess with the "entire back catalogue of apps". iPhone will have a 3.5" screen forever :eek:
Come on use your melon a bit. Not saying it will change this time but it won't be 3.5 forever. Oh, and as far as you switching.... don't let the door hit ya if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Except the case redesign, an iPhone 5 would include the exact same internals as an iPhone 4S. So all this fuss is about the case? Are you kidding me?

It surprises me you've been around the Apple community so long but yet still do not appreciate the importance many attribute to the look and feel of the products. Jony Ive wouldn't have achieved legendary status he has working for any other company in America.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
At this point I don't know what people were expecting. What did you think that there'd be inside iPhone 5? An i7m processor? 8GB ram?

Err no. Don't be so ridiculous.

Alongside a thinner form factor for better comfort whilst holding the phone, and a slightly bigger and brighter screen, an improved battery for extending the juice of the product.

That's what all this fuss is about :) In a world where iPhone users are being tempted by Android, MeeGo, even BlackBerry now have a bigger screen in their Torch 9860. Apple is falling behind, despite having a great product. Not being unfair - just truthful.

An A5 processor and 3 extra mega pixels are all nice and well, but they are innards that people do not see, form factor, screen size are more tempting to users because the difference is immediately noticeable.

As I state I love the iPhone. But as Bob Dylan sang 'the times they are a changing'....

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
hahaha

some of the overly childish hysterical spoilt teengager nonsense being spewed out of people's gobs on this forum over the last 3 weeks is unbelievable...

honestly, some of you need to take a look at your comments in a few years and cringe.

get a grip.

Apple never promised you anything, and im sure will do a sterling job at upgrading the iP4 for the next while...yet so many of you are declaring a sudden love for another handset because your current iPhone has become a piece of crap the second no new design is announced...

unreal..:rolleyes:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
It surprises me you've been around the Apple community so long but yet still do not appreciate the importance many attribute to the look and feel of the products. Jony Ive wouldn't have achieved legendary status he has working for any other company in America.

It's not that I don't appreciate the importance people attribute to the look. iPhone 4 looks quite exquisite already. And Apple does not have to keep changing the look over and over every year. iPhone 3GS looks almost exactly the same as iPhone 1st gen. Only iPhone 4 had a major case redesign over the 1st gen iPhone. So Apple did majorly update their phone case on their 4th iteration for the first time. Why expect them to do the same for every release?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I love how these rumours just come in at all times. Coming from Europe and spending much time there, I will tell you right now that those people respect weekends. Everything is closed. EVERYTHING

Nobody breathes on weekends. As a matter of fact already friday afternoon at 1pm the weekend starts. Until Monday morning.

As far as the iPhone, it will be an iPhone 4S period. What is it with everyone wanting a new design. The iPhone 4's design is the best ever. Secondly it seems like people care more about new body style then a better iPhone.

KK

This is not just a rumour, it's actually live on the Vodafone website.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I will surprised and disappointed if the new iPhone is simply a beefed up iPhone 4. When the 3GS came out it was a huge improvement over the outgoing model and was a turning point in many people finally adopting an iPhone. The iPhone 4 was a flawed device - a poor design, uncomfortable to hold, reception problems and a screen / back made of brittle glass that shattered too often.

Whilst updated internals are always welcome and iOS 5 is fantastic the lack of marrying that to an improved design is a poor show from Apple and I suspect many will not upgrade their iPhone 4 to a 4S.

what were the other phones except 'beefed up' previous ones? The 4 introduced retina display, but otherwise they're all incremental updates and design tweaks - there is only so much you can do with a rectangle of glass.

and an A5 with 8x the performance of the iphone 4 for graphics is only slightly beefed up!?

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

MacRumors should be renamed "The restless nights of Arnold Kim" around media events like this.

Jonny Skyves

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
M25

KK

Actually, until Tuesday morning this week... Its a bank holiday in Germany today.
And with German efficiency n all... those placeholders have been there since Friday!!

I can just see the programmer of the vodafone.de website sitting at the Oktoberfest since Friday evening swigging on his beer by the liter :D

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The only thing that probably stinks with the 3 sizes is that the 64gb iPhone is probably going to come at a premium above the suavely $299 high-end model. Hopefully it won't be $399, but either way I need that extra space. Even with iTunes Match, 32gb is nowhere near enough for all my apps, photos, docs, and even a couple of videos.

I don't really mind the 4s so much because I love the design of the current. As long as the Antenna is better, and the 8MP camera is true, that is enough for me because the A5 is definitely coming.

As for the redesigned iPhone 5, those leaks are probably early prototypes for next years device. Since a 4s is getting announced tomorrow, next time a redesign is guaranteed.

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I have a question

What is wrong with the current iPhone 4's design? I mean doesn't it still look "industry leading"???

And why do people want a larger screen??? I mean, doesn't iPhone 4 currently fit everything to the pocket well?

I really don't get it.......
the rumor specs alone makes a really really decent upgrade...

I agree. I think what people are really complaining about here, is that they can't flash it out in front of their friends and say 'Hey, I have the latest' and have it instantly recognised. As I discussed earlier, frankly I don't need a wider phone with a fat screen. I like the iPhone 4's design.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Alongside a thinner form factor for better comfort whilst holding the phone, and a slightly bigger and brighter screen, an improved battery for extending the juice of the product.

That's what all this fuss is about :) In a world where iPhone users are being tempted by Android, MeeGo, even BlackBerry now have a bigger screen in their Torch 9860. Apple is falling behind, despite having a great product. Not being unfair - just truthful.

An A5 processor and 3 extra mega pixels are all nice and well, but they are innards that people do not see, form factor, screen size are more tempting to users because the difference is immediately noticeable.

As I state I love the iPhone. But as Bob Dylan sang 'the times they are a changing'....

I don't really see how a thinner form factor results in better comfort. I'd have to hold it before making any judgements. About the battery, for all we know Apple may have put in a bigger/better battery. We'll know about it tomorrow. About the screen size, with bigger screen you get a bigger device as well. So I don't think a bigger screen is automatically a plus.

Instead of all those, I'd rather have some extra chips inside the device which add new functionality, like when they added 3 axis gyroscope in iPhone 4.

Tupcek

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
Assistant

Now we can change rumor status of Assistant from probably, to certainly.
In short, one reader said, that his summer part-time job was recording voice commands for agency (which was working for Apple). Those voice commands included thigs like texting, searching for restaurants, playing music etc. Obviously, it was for Slovak mutation of Assistant. Source site is very credible, had some acurate (Slovak-related) "leaks" in past.

http://translate.google.sk/translat...at-udaje-a-ziskavat-vysledky-hlasom-5335.html

As they are making Slovak mutation of Assistant, it means that they take this one as a core function. Slovak language is used by aprox 6 mil. people, so we usually get only most basic things localized, like iPhone UI. We even dont have localized Macs or current voice-control! So this must be THE big thing for Apple, bigger than Macs :)

CiccioAtSea

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Principality of Monaco
Are they cases for a new bigger ipod touch to rival the Amazon kindle fire? :D

IMO Ipod Touch does not even have to challenge with the kindel fire... Apple simply does not need it! How many of those is Amazon going to sell? It will be challenging about sellings against the Motorola Xoom probably :rolleyes:

...sorry if my English is so bad, hope you understand what I mean...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.