Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Still not convinced the iPhone 4S is the name Apple will go with. It just makes no marketing sense and is the big reason everyone is being "let down". If they just name their dual-core iPhone 4 the iPhone 5, it would send a much more positive image, not to mention it doesn't break the generational naming.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

pjhamill said:
The believers in 5ers (people who believe in the 5) are losing numbers each day. The 4S on the other hand are gaining believers. It feels good I was one of the first. A bit like being the first atheist.

Or like being the first moron if they release a 5.

chewbee

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
This doesn't convince me that there WON'T be an iPhone 5.

It only convinces me that there WILL be a 4S.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This convinces me of absolutely nothing. If there are placeholders saying iPhone 5 in radio shack, these place holders could just as easily be 100% false.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Still not convinced the iPhone 4S is the name Apple will go with. It just makes no marketing sense and is the big reason everyone is being "let down". If they just name their dual-core iPhone 4 the iPhone 5, it would send a much more positive image, not to mention it doesn't break the generational naming.

The only reason to break would be that they are looking to make ip6 ip4g(s). After that, god knows what route to take other than reverting to plain old "iphone". Agree with your post in general though.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvz49U-D5s

I did hear the window's phones are great devices.... enjoy it!

Windows phones, next years Android phones. You are welcome to them. Unless I see major disruptive technology launched by an iOS competitor, I shall not be rushing to leave a stable platform that I like, suits me and have invested years into building into my own!!! Yes, I have a problem with the iPhone 4's reception breaks and would have liked a bigger screen (4.2' ideally) and longer battery life but a better camera and a new upgraded iOS, will keep me.

People go to the GS2 because it looks bigger but everyone I know that moved to it from iOS regret their decision

Consequence

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
<>

the next iPhone, even though similar in look to the iPhone 4, will be a major advancement, raising the bar many levels, redefining what people come to expect from their pocket computer

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Wow, this will be a major disaster if there is no newly designed and updated iPhone 5. Wall Street will see this as a major setback in the smartphone market.

HTC, Samsung and Motorola are pumping out new state of the art upgraded phones every four or 5 months and it takes Apple over a year to bring out a single new phone. That's truly pathetic! Apple just lost the smartphone war to Android. The iPhone 4S. Are you frigging kidding me.:mad:

That means no new iPhone 5 until early 2012 at best.

This -should- be the case, and in any other world I think it would be. Unfortunately in our world Apple could release -anything- and it would sell like mad. This is the same issue of complacency they have showed with Macs over the years, but I don't think this market is the one to teach them.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
I can almost guarantee you that there will be no redesign. The iphone 4 has not trickled down to everyone that wants an upgraded phone. It doesn''t make sense to redesign when a large segment of people still hasn't gotten an iphone 4.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011

Consequence said:
the next iPhone, even though similar in look to the iPhone 4, will be a major advancement, raising the bar many levels, redefining what people come to expect from their pocket computer

How's this exactly?

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Tim Cook: "Let's talk about our 5th generation iPhone... we call it....

*keynote animation*

iPhone 4S

Audience: Boo!

*keynote animates again, 4S got shattered by #5 from heaven*

*boom*......

iPhone 5

Audience: ROARRRRRRR

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
You know that there are no postings from allthingsd.com or MG Siegler on the iphone in the past few days. I bet they have the next iphone and having fun with it. They know if the iphone has a new design or not.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Shock news,. Apple to announce they are pulling out of the phone and computer business and entering a Post Retail industry.

From here on out apple will sell "the apple experience" every year rather than innovative software and hardware that requires substatnical finacial support to develop and bring to market they will instead spend the year droping hints about hidden shiney things by losing "prototypes" in bars and "leaking" cases and blurry photos online and drum up fanboy demand for a product that they will not release knowing full well that they will sell whatever crap they can find on the way to work in the morning as long as its shiney and sold in a minamalist wood and brushed metal furnished store by minimum wage lackies and has a white apple logo on it.

This will give them more time to roll about in the mountain of cash that will be held in the middle of the new custom build "donught" offices they are having built spacifically to give them a large enough area to store the money in a scrooge mc,duck style vault.

xelr8ar

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
Honestly, I'm quite torn.

On one hand there has been quite a bit of evidence suggesting that there will be an iPhone 4s, but almost nothing in regards to an iPhone 5. People are citing these cases pouring in from China, but I think that it is possible that the case makers took a calculated gamble and essentially lost - as is often the case in the business world.

On the other hand though, logic tells me that the 16 month gap is a relatively strong indicator that Apple might have a little more than a mere spec bump up its sleeve. Add to this the fact that there this is Tim Cooks first product unveiling as CEO and again logic would indicate that there should be something to blow us away. There has been lots of doubt as to whether Apple can continue on its roll without Steve and the unveiling of a 5 under Cooks' leadership (even though it is essentially a Jobs product) would help dispel this notion and provide extra comfort to shareholders in my opinion.

I just can't call it at the moment. Either way this will be my first iPhone and I am super excited.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Some of these comments are hi-lari-ous. It use to be that Apple h8trs said Apple was "all form over function," so here the iPhone 4S might have the same form as the current model but more functional and wa-la... complaints.

I don't know about you guys but I'm on a two year contract that allows me but one upgrade every 18 months. But-for Apple letting me have an early upgrade last year I'd still be rocking my 3GS waiting for the 4S, and the 4S would be pretty sweet move up.

As it it I do have a 4 and my upgrade eligibility isn't until end of Nov. If I were to get the 4S then I'd then have to wait 20 months for a new subsidized phone per ATTs (and every other cell co's new rules) so I'll skip the 4S because the 4 is still doing right by me and I have a hunch next year's iPhone will be worth the wait.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I know that it's nothing to do with them and it has been us expecting a change after 16 months!

But seriously, is there a bomb shelter Tim Cook can run to when/after they've announced this.
QUOTE]

I was thinking the same.
Two ways:

Tim announces a iPhone5 and he will be praised. Shareholders will be happy.
Tim announces a iPhone4s and he will be shot by a Apple fans. Shareholders will weep. :)

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
So...

Dual Core = iPhone 4 is fast enough, only geeks & developers care about stuff like this.

1gig Ram = iPhone 4 is fast enough, only geeks & developers care about stuff like this.

iVoice= Fail, will NEVER recognise my Scottish accent and only cretins talk to phones anyway. Same as Facetime, use once, never use again. Actually if I see someone talking to their iPhone I will give them a solid headbutt.

Multi network compatability = I have travelled to over 30 countries with my iPhone and never had an issue, only affects Americans, I don't even know what CDMA or Verizon is tbh and don't care.

8mp Camera = Unless they change the sensor or lens then who cares, Megapixels mean nothing relating to quality!

Ultimately if this is all we are getting then its a MAJOR FAIL and nothing to get excited about. 16 months for nothing, gee thanks Apple.

I agree with you. In my opinion, the rumored updates to iPhone 4S just aren't enough. iPhone 3GS was different case, because at that time additional speed was quite visible to normal user. iPhone 4 is already fluent to use, and I don't know if the additional speed of iPhone 4S is that visible in normal use.

Also, the smartphone scene is moving so fast, that Apple needs to release something brand new (not just updated internals) if they want to attract non-iPhone owners to buy iPhone. Android phones are selling very well, and Android's market share is growing more rapidly than iOS marketshare.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm in 2 minds now. I really would like a larger capacity and faster phone, and the new features sound great.

My main want is a larger screen, even in the 4 case, so thats probably a 3.8 or 4 inch screen max. If it had a larger screen I'd get it with the old 4 specs as that's a win for me, so i guess I'll have to wait to see the real specs and prices here (unlocked no contract) to make a final decision.

Not long to go now. :)

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
This -should- be the case, and in any other world I think it would be. Unfortunately in our world Apple could release -anything- and it would sell like mad. This is the same issue of complacency they have showed with Macs over the years, but I don't think this market is the one to teach them.

This isn't true, and is narrow-minded poppy-cock.

The iPhone is backed up by the massive app-store. It will soon be backed up by iCloud. It is also backed up by what would have to be the best customer service in the industry. I think you have no understanding of what the market needs and wants, outside of bragging rights. You want a new cool toy in your pocket. I want something which does a variety of increasingly complex tasks.

arbok

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
you guys are SO SAD...

SERIOUSLY.... this whining is like babies not getting the right birthday present and having a complete whinge.

there are plenty of people who ARE excited about the iPhone 4s, what about letting them enjoy it?

iphone 4s will probably have

A5 chip
1gb ram
8 megapixel camera
storage increase
Assistant
iOS5 (iCloud, wireless sync etc.)

why do you all NEED to have a teardrop design/bigger screen... there's a lot of ppl who don't want a bigger screen, ppl who like to carry their phones in their pocket and not have it bulging out. the current iPhone form is still miles better than samsung and any other competitor.

and ipad 2 was pretty much a spec bump - the form factor helped yes, but aside from the cameras it was pretty much the same thing

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
You know that there are no postings from allthingsd.com or MG Siegler on the iphone in the past few days. I bet they have the next iphone and having fun with it. They know if the iphone has a new design or not.

No way. You look up to them so much lol. I don't like them especially Walt Mossberg. Are those folks knows how to test better than Apple engineers? Apple doesn't need them. Maybe they'll get earlier but not before announcement.

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm in 2 minds now. I really would like a larger capacity and faster phone, and the new features sound great.

My main want is a larger screen, even in the 4 case, so thats probably a 3.8 or 4 inch screen max. If it had a larger screen I'd get it with the old 4 specs as that's a win for me, so i guess I'll have to wait to see the real specs and prices here (unlocked no contract) to make a final decision.

Not long to go now. :)

Ask yourself what do you really need... Bigger screen? Or the services offered.

Toml2003

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010

It seems that people are 50/50 between what they want.

I'm a 5er, yes I think the iPhone 4 looks amazing, but I want a change now. I think this 4s found in iTunes is a trick. Apple know that sites like these and people look into every detial and report it.

iPhone 4s doesnt even sound good, terrible name.

Tupcek

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
iPhone 5

I hope for redesigned iPhone 5 too. iPhone 4 is very nice, but have a lot of unused space. I want: a) bigger screen b) smaller phone. I dont care about curved sides, or thinner iPhone, it could be same design, but please, do something with the free space. iPhone 4 looks like the most beautiful last-gen phone. Galaxy phones arent that nice, but they truly feels like the next-gen.

Also, if they are going to have iPhone 6 by September 2012, then iPhone 5 must be big upgrade from iPhone 4. Many of the iPhone 4 users bought their phone in summer of 2010, so their contract will expire by summer 2012. If iPhone 5 will be only a small upgrade for them, they will probably look for some Android phone. So, basicly, we are left with 2 options: 1) new iPhone in less then year 2) iPhone 5 tomorrow :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.