Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I wonder how much the nexus prime will beat the iphone4s by. Im going to say 2.5x faster.

Spec and pure speed when the glue that holds it together is more malware than firmware. It's a free world. You make your own choices depending on your needs. I stick to Apple although I examine that loyalty with every purchase I make.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Battery life. Heat.

Don't care about battery life and as long as the extra heat doesn't damage the phone it isn't a problem.

My first question was simple.

"Any ideas on how difficult it would be set the clock speed to 1Ghz?"

I wasn't asking "if" or "why" it should be done just if it was possible.

wutang61

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Don't care about battery life and as long as the extra heat doesn't damage the phone it isn't a problem.

My first question was simple.

"Any ideas on how difficult it would be set the clock speed to 1Ghz?"

I wasn't asking "if" or "why" it should be done just if it was possible.

ioverclock has done this for the iphone 4. some users reported gains others "just" lost battery life. i personally noticed a minor increase in performance in games and such.

people forget overclocking can go both ways. lower the clock rate (eco) or increase for max performance.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Why did it take so long to put an underclocked A5 in the iphone 4?Ot has iOS 5 the reason for the delay?

Doent matter all I see is apple with each version taking longer to create a new model and each time running more behind in hardware. Wonder how long the OS can keep plugging the difference.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
agreed. why not make it faster? i see no thermal issues arising under normal use @ 1ghz
The iPhone 4S is pretty much on par with the iPhone 4 when it comes to battery life, and that's despite being faster. Even longer life when using 3G, slightly shorter during standby, and similar in other circumstances.

If they clocked this to 1 GHz though, Apple would have press and users shouting at them for putting performance before actually being able to use the phone, or some hyperbole like that. At worst, it could be a new "antennagate" for Apple, with endless jokes like "Look how fast it i..."

For the slight, perhaps neglible performance drop compared to the iPad 2, I think it was a good decision. If the drop had been 30% vs the iPad 2, I would have had concerns, but it's not close to that.

Finally, why isn't the iPad underclocked if that's so good for battery life? Due to the sheer size of the iPad, they can use a much larger battery, so that isn't much of an issue.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
I don't blame you for saying such stupid things, it's hard to type when your screen washes out at anything other than 90 degrees.

Yea my friends iphone which I borrowed for that message has a really poor screen, give me Super AMOLED any day of the week.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
agreed. why not make it faster? i see no thermal issues arising under normal use @ 1ghz

Apple have underclocked it for a reason - I'll freely admit I have no idea what that reason might be, but if I was looking to increase the speed I'd first want to know for sure the reason they did it rather than risk damaging my £600 phone for the sake of a minimal increase in speed that, personally, I probably wouldn't even notice. YMMV.

But if you're one of those people who is happy to push the boundaries of tech and doesn't mind risking a few bricks along the way, hats off to you (and I mean that sincerely!)

wutang61

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
The iPhone 4S is pretty much on par with the iPhone 4 when it comes to battery life, and that's despite being faster. Even longer life when using 3G, slightly shorter during standby, and similar in other circumstances.

If they clocked this to 1 GHz though, Apple would have press and users shouting at them for putting performance before actually being able to use the phone, or some hyperbole like that. At worst, it could be a new "antennagate" for Apple, with endless jokes like "Look how fast it i..."

For the slight, perhaps neglible performance drop compared to the iPad 2, I think it was a good decision. If the drop had been 30% vs the iPad 2, I would have had concerns, but it's not close to that.

Finally, why isn't the iPad underclocked if that's so good for battery life? Due to the sheer size of the iPad, they can use a much larger battery, so that isn't much of an issue.

this is why end users overclock. the ones that want to...well do and those who dont. wont.

im not comapring the iphone to any device.

base clock score:
overclock score:

thats the comparison.

----------

the ipad 2 running at about 1.5ghz would be a wicked little tablet. :D

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Apple have underclocked [the A5] for a reason - I'll freely admit I have no idea what that reason might be, but if I was looking to increase the speed I'd first want to know for sure the reason they did it rather than risk damaging my £600 phone for the sake of a minimal increase in speed that, personally, I probably wouldn't even notice. YMMV.

I'd say that battery life is a pretty safe bet. A phone that doesn't last a day of use isn't very useful. My iPhone 4 still lasts all day (though sometimes barely) and it's almost 16 months old. My wife's Samsung Galaxy SII frequently needs charging in the evening, and she's had to learn to constantly adjust things like the screen brightness and wireless settings to maximise it's running time.

Apple see battery life as a priority on a phone, hence the underclocking, limited multitasking, lack of current power inefficient LTE chips, etc. It seems to me as if other manufacturers are too obsessed with outperforming the iPhone's chip speed to look better, rather than focussing on a phone that actually functions for a reasonable amount of time. Of course, the A5 is still one speedy chip, even at 800MHz. It's just a matter of making the right trade offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.