Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What happened to 7 times faster?

graphics are 7x faster.

Which they are

41612.png

41616.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/...rks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Seems like a really nice phone. Id get one if they offered it in a larger screen but having a 4" one for 18 months now i dont think i can go back to 3.5". If i was an iPhone user however id upgrade in a heartbeat. I really like the sound of Siri. Its simple yet brilliant and in so many ways classic Apple

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
So 800mhz dual core? Even single core processors are at 1.5ghz these days.

At least iOS is optimized for the phone though.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
People are confused about processor and graphics, you guys need to put huge ass watermark that the one is a benchmark of processor speed and the other one is for graphics.

Lex Yu

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
So 800mhz dual core? Even single core processors are at 1.5ghz these days.

At least iOS is optimized for the phone though.

Don't you see the graph all around?

Apple's 800MHz dual-core is faster than any other phone in the world.

See. Read.

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I should point out that clock speed actually isn't something you can directly compare across different CPU's. 3.2GHz AMD CPU's don't perform the same as 3.2GHz Intel CPU's. It's interesting to see that chart above showing the comparison against the GS2.
If that's the case then I wouldn't be surprised if the Nexus Prime does outperform in this respect.. Although what I've noticed with Apple fans is that when they're outperformed by guts 'it's not about the internals, it's about the whole ecosystem,' but when it does outperform 'well, these other things are so crap because they can't perform along side.' Will be interesting to see the comparisons.

One more thing. What's up with people going on about android having malware??

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
My 3GS running iOS5 just scored 39001 ! Better than iPhone 4 under iOS 4...
However, it looks like the Browsermark chart we see circulating on forums is kinda underestimating Android performance... if you tweak your Android w/ Firefox you get quite a score apparently : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld0KMsxax2I

Lesson is, hardware is unefficiently exploited on those machines, some software enhancement is always welcome...

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
How about BrowserMark where iPhone 4S is ahead of Motorola Atrix at 81,000 and the iPad 2 is at 103,000?!

iOS 5 on a 3GS increased the score from 35,000 (4.2.3) to 41,000!

Awesome, iOS5 is pretty fast considering all the new features, it is very nice to see this kind of optimizations. Thanks Apple!

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Who cares? The screen is the size of a credit card, the OS sucks as does the battery and proximity sensor and the tech inside it is 18 months out of date, my calculator has more RAM, 512mb is laughable.

The Nexus Prime takes a dump on the iPhone 4(with better camera).

Mackbook702

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
The only thing faster than the iPhone 4S is the iPad 2:cool:. From those tests it looks like Android has some considerable catching up to do and i think the 4S will keep Apple more than afloat until the next redesigned iPhone.

Daniel1895

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes if you have the moony why not I was going to buy one but I don't have the moony

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
The only thing faster than the iPhone 4S is the iPad 2:cool:. From those tests it looks like Android has some considerable catching up to do and i think the 4S will keep Apple more than afloat until the next redesigned iPhone.

Wouldn't speak up just yet. I'd say wait till the results are out on things like the Nexus Prime or Galaxy HD. If the iPhone still performs better, THEN gloating may begin :)

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
When the A5 came out one of the touted new features was it was dynamically clocked. It goes up and down depending on demand/available power.

That's what the ~800 means. Apple must have used a more power+heat friendly clocking algorithm for the iPhone than the iPad. So I don't think it's underclocked in a fixed way.

It still screams and it's impressive how Apple really squeezes those dual cores. Many platforms would dream of such efficiency gains in going from single to dual core.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Don't you see the graph all around?

Apple's 800MHz dual-core is faster than any other phone in the world.

See. Read.

Normal users simply don't get it, they should be the one who doesn't care about specs, but they instead read tech spec and get it wrong. Apple did a fantastic job with 4S but too many users are clueless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.