Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

ijfry

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I brought two in for replacement. The first replacements for both were damaged as well, the second we're a lot better but with slight silver at the side. Kept those because it was getting ridiculous.

They have replacement devices in white boxes at the store that are sealed and new.

Last edited:

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Well the poster who stated it's not a factory issue, or tool issue is correct. I think it's mostly down to materials on the black model

So far this is what we have / add to the list! we need Week/ Colour/ Factory location. Go here and put your serial number in

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Flawless.

Week 32 factory C3 (Black )
Week 32 Factory C3 (White)
Week 33 Factory C3 (White)
Week 33 Factory C3 (White)
Week 35 Factory F2 (White)
Week 35 Factory DN
Week 35 Factory DN
Week 36 Factory C3
Week 36 Factory DN
Week 36 Factory DN
Week 36 Factory DN (Black)
Week 37, Factory F2 (Black)
Week 38 Factory F2 (White)

Damaged.

Week 33 Factory DN (Black)
Week 34 Factory F2
Week 34 Factory DN
Week 34 Factory DN (Black)
Week 36
Week 36 Factory C3
Week 36 Factory DN
Week 36 Factory ?
Week 37 Factory C3
Week 37 Factory DN
Week 37 Factory DN (Black) (glue residue)

DayvG

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Week 34 C3 damaged. Small chip on right hand side of bezel. Replacement already dispatched.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Week 37, factory DN

Chip next to camera lens, chip at the top of phone, and dent/impression on edge. And fighting with Apple to have it replaced. 2nd trip to store had a manager take my info down to call me when he has a 64gb white one in stock so I can go swap them.

i-vDfwWG5-XL.jpg

i-qNM9CW3-XL.jpg

i-pG46sFd-XL.jpg

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Week 37, factory DN

Chip next to camera lens, chip at the top of phone, and dent/impression on edge. And fighting with Apple to have it replaced. 2nd trip to store had a manager take my info down to call me when he has a 64gb white one in stock so I can go swap them.

Oh wow! that's pretty bad! I was going to swap my white for a black via Apple tomorrow but I don't know if I will now.

I got hypnotized by the black one today and it was screaming "Buy me, buy me"

Now I don't know

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
This is definitely a design and material issues of iPhone 5 .. No need to argue with that.
Some people keep saying [MacRumors forum does not represent the whole iPhone 5 buyer's community] .. Believe me, over time there will be more and more issues like this unless :apple: revise the phone (which unlikely to happen until iPhone 5S or 6 or whatever)

A previously strong and hard stainless antenna band replaced by lighter and weaker Aluminum slab .. anodized. What do you expect? Of course it's lighter, but nothing magical here.
For something designed to be mobile, in contact with many stuff and surfaces .. Aluminum and anodizing is no more than smoke and mirror.

Should've stayed with stainless steel band instead, I don't mind my iPhone weighs 140gr and less prone to scratch and chipping, please :eek:

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada

I personally think the white one is the better looking phone this time around (for the first time). I've always preferred black but the silver body on the white one looks so awesome to me. I'm not crazy about the white face but the silver body makes up for it. I love black in general (in cars, phones, etc.) but this phone is TOO black to me with no accents or contrast at all. The entire thing is blacked out like a "murdered out" car. The overall effect is dull and monochromatic to me. But that's just me. I know the black is far more popular.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Oh wow! that's pretty bad! I was going to swap my white for a black via Apple tomorrow but I don't know if I will now.

Now I don't know

I'll trade you my NIB black one :)

dusters711

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Ok I'm not gonna lie but the first time I saw postings about this I ignored it as people being crazy. I just so happen to take out my phone tonight and actually look at it and I have two dings in the bezel! One on the back near the bottom and another near the "antenna line" on the one side of the phone. I just looked again not even two hours later and now I have ANOTHER scratch / ding near the top in the bezel!

I never drop my phone or put it in my pocket with anything! I had my naked 4S for a year and it is flawless and now I have three nicks in my bezel in two full days of use? Something is wrong because I baby my phone like you wouldn't believe! I'm unsure if I'm gonna call Apple or not, but this is a problem!

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Seeing all of these scruffs is making me nervous in upgrading when Best Buy calls me to pick my reserve up. What happened to Apples quality control? I don't want to be swapping out device after device to get the best looking one to be honest. Hopefully Apple gets this defect issue resolved quickly.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Hilarious that people actually care so much about this. It will eventually get scratched either in your pocket or by being dropped. Get over it.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Hilarious that people actually care so much about this. It will eventually get scratched either in your pocket or by being dropped. Get over it.

So if you bought a brand new TV and it had scratches and dents in it, you'd be fine with it?
What about a brand new car? Would you feel the same?

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
So if you bought a brand new TV and it had scratches and dents in it, you'd be fine with it?
What about a brand new car? Would you feel the same?

I wear a 25k watch on my wrist with scratches on it and love it more each day.

I've scratched my M series Rims and laughed about it.

A TV doesnt go into a pocket, it doesn't travel with you when you've had a few to drink and it doesnt get dropped.

I've been to the Apple store and looked very closely at the phones, the blacks do have little hairline scratches most notably on the edges but for the most part cannot be seen at arms length. I use my phone, I don't stare at it.

In short, I don't give two *****. I'm sorry that you do.

Office Hours

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
Some people can easily go 2 years and still have a flawless iPhone 4. I've seen it. I'm not one of those people, too careless, but I've had this phone for three days and it's already chipping. I haven't even used it since friday either since I left my charger at work (doh!). Apple dropped the ball on this one. Should have left it silver. Jobs would have nixed this minor change for sure.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

Yeah .. keyword is EVENTUALLY, not IMMEDIATELY out of the box. Is that hard to understand?
Go get a scratched and chipped out of factory Camaro and see how you feel.

When I buy brand new something, I want it to be as near-perfect as possible. If it's going to be dented or damaged during MY ownership, that's my business. No need to cry about that.
Get over it :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.