Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

Chedd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Went to the Apple store today and there weren't any black models out on display....

That's interesting... Maybe someone went in and scratched all theirs, or maybe Apple has something in mind. Speaking of, has Apple acknowledged this at all?

Office Hours

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
Because you knew him so well, right? Let's all stop this lame "Steve wouldn't have..." nonsense, shall we?
My guess. I personally don't give a crap about Steve Jobs. To me, he was just someone who took the limelight away from a great team of engineers and designers. He just seemed more likely to have been overly picky at approving these types of things.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Went to the Apple store today and there weren't any black models out on display....

so shady....

just curious, why would one think that the blacks will get better further down the production line? any chance they would just not produce black?

on a happy note, the speakers on this phone are amazing, is it just me or were those upgraded?

m4cf4g

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Hey everyone!

Does anyone know what's the procedure of returning a phone if you bought it online in the UK Apple Store, and you're not from UK? Mine will be delivered this week and if it's damaged out of the box, I need to know how to return it. Do I have to call them first or send an email? And it probably has to be done within the 14 day period?

Cheers!

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah .. keyword is EVENTUALLY, not IMMEDIATELY out of the box. Is that hard to understand?
Go get a scratched and chipped out of factory Camaro and see how you feel.

When I buy brand new something, I want it to be as near-perfect as possible. If it's going to be dented or damaged during MY ownership, that's my business. No need to cry about that.
Get over it :rolleyes:

Easiest to simply use the phone. Let it get scratched to hell by normal use (it will happen). And in a few months submit it for an exchange via apple care, just tell them dropped calls and battery dies prematurely. Yes it is that simple. As for a Camaro, I wouldn't drive one if you paid for it.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
61PwPv7iQ3L.jpg

I put a bumper on my black iPhone 5 the moment I took it out of the box so I have no idea if its scuffed or not so it doesn't bother me.

I suggest the rest of you do the same.

BJ

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
According to Apple Support Profile, my replacement black iPhone was manufactured Week 37, Factory F2. (which has been listed under "flawless").

For the record, my current scuffed iPhone 5 is Week 34, Factory DN (which has been listed under chipped).

I'll be able to independently (but not conclusively) shed some light on how valid the premise that this issue is on a factory per factory basis.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
try to look at it, you will see a lot!

Why?

It's a replaceable, disposable consumer product that's designed to take the abuse of a pants pocket, a purse, or a car cupholder. This is my 3rd iPhone and they've all been scratched, dinged, or dented. I use the bumper because I find the sharp edges of the 4 and 5 too uncomfortable and I like a little gap when I lay it down on a boardroom table.

This isn't a piece of jewelry. It's a tool.

BJ

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Easiest to simply use the phone. Let it get scratched to hell by normal use (it will happen). And in a few months submit it for an exchange via apple care, just tell them dropped calls and battery dies prematurely. Yes it is that simple. As for a Camaro, I wouldn't drive one if you paid for it.

What exactly is wrong with Camaros. I have a mustang but Camaros are still good cars. Its better than the front wheel drive garbage that 95% of cars are today.

krid

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
NB, Canada
Week 36 (september), Factory: F2
16 gb black - flawless appearance

Thought I would add this to the list.
I am not overly concerned about appearance as this phone will get used and lightly abused though I will get a case this time around.

I will mention that the flash was acting up, though now it is working:confused:

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
If anyone else visits their local Apple store and sees the black iPhone 5s gone please post that information.

windaddict

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Could this be sabotage due to labor unrest? Reports tonight of riots at the Foxconn plant where the iPhone 5 BACKPLATE are made following a strike in March after workers did not receive a promised raise.

Riots Break Out at Foxconn Factory in China: Report
NBC News | September 23, 2012 | 07:39 PM EDT
Reports early Monday from China suggest that a mass disturbance or riots may have broken out at a Foxconn factory in the Chinese city of Taiyuan.

It is still unclear what exactly happened, but posts on China’s popular twitter-like service, Weibo, from users in the area show photographs and video of large numbers of police in and around the factory – many in riot gear – blocking off throngs of people.

Other photos show debris strewn around the Foxconn compound and in one case, an overturned guard tower.

According to popular tech blog engadget, the disturbance kicked off after Foxconn security guards allegedly hit a worker around 10 p.m. on Sunday.

Censors in China have reportedly already started deleting pictures from the scene.

This is not the first time that Foxconn has had problems with its Taiyuan facility, which is reportedly responsible for the fabrication of the back plate of the immensely popular new Apple [ AAPL 700.095 +1.395 (+0.20%) ] iPhone 5. In March, strikes broke out there after workers did not receive a pay raise they had reportedly been promised.

Meanwhile, Foxconn’s Chengdu plant in Sichuan province also has dealt with riots. In June, scores of Foxconn workers there got into a fight with a local restaurant owner that had to be broken up by police.

Foxconn is the Taiwanese electronics manufacturer responsible for much of the current production and assembly of Apple’s popular line of products as well as a wide variety of popular tech toys ranging from laptops to gaming consoles.

But Foxconn has been under fire for years for its tough working conditions, including long hours, low wages and strict rules on representation. The company has also dealt with a string of suicides at its plants across China, which led to the company in 2010 installing anti-jump nets to prevent more suicide attempts.

The company has taken steps to improve working conditions in its factories by reducing work hours and raising wages for its front-line workers.

Still, perhaps wary of the continued negative publicity that has plagued one of its primary manufacturers over the years, Apple recently took steps to diversify its portfolio of producers, recently awarding much of the manufacturing of its new iteration of the iPad to another Taiwanese company, Pegatron.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

Fine .. replace Camaro with [whatever car you like best] and see how you feel if it's dented out of factory .. not that it matters to me anyway.

powrman811

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Just picked up mine, and I am NOT happy. I have never used a case ever since I purchased an iPhone 4 because of how sturdy the glass really is. I mean, short of falling on concrete, my iPhone 4 and 4S have been through hell, and still look pristine. I figured that since Apple made such a durable product last time, surely the next iteration will be even stronger? So I opted NOT to buy a case yet. (the AT&T store selection wasn't great). I just got home to do some homework, and simply from gently placing my phone onto the side of my macbook pro while it charges and I type, it has a small, scuff! And it's not one that will "wipe away", it is PERMANENT! Yes, it's small, but still, I GENTLY placed my new phone where I've been putting my old phones for almost 2 years!

Look I attached a pic

View attachment 360371

You can not be serious.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Why?

It's a replaceable, disposable consumer product that's designed to take the abuse of a pants pocket, a purse, or a car cupholder. This is my 3rd iPhone and they've all been scratched, dinged, or dented. I use the bumper because I find the sharp edges of the 4 and 5 too uncomfortable and I like a little gap when I lay it down on a boardroom table.

This isn't a piece of jewelry. It's a tool.

BJ

And what is a car? A watch? A laptop?

They are all functional. But, no, they are not merely TOOLs.

Under normal usage, my Watch doesn't scratch. My computer doesn't scratch. My car also doesn't scratch (unless by accident).

NOR should a cell phone scratch. My iPhone 4S is 100% like new, as it should be.

Just because YOU treat your devices like a TOOL, doesn't mean jack. :rolleyes:

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I wear a 25k watch on my wrist with scratches on it and love it more each day.

I've scratched my M series Rims and laughed about it.

A TV doesnt go into a pocket, it doesn't travel with you when you've had a few to drink and it doesnt get dropped.

I've been to the Apple store and looked very closely at the phones, the blacks do have little hairline scratches most notably on the edges but for the most part cannot be seen at arms length. I use my phone, I don't stare at it.

In short, I don't give two *****. I'm sorry that you do.

It would be something you use on a regular basis, no?

All phones should look brand new (no defects) when just coming out of the packaging. If manufactures stopped giving a damn about quality, we'd be getting a hell of a lot more defective equipment

Since you "live large", what if you bought a brand new house that had a hole in the wall, or the counters were scraped up, stucco missing all around the house. you'd just deal with the defects of the house? Just say, "I don't give two ***** about it, I just use my house to live in, I don't care what it looks like."

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Anyone waiting for the October releases for this to be fixed is fooling themselves. Apple is not going to change anything in the production process until maybe the iPhone 5s. If you want the iPhone 5, might as well get it / keep it now and keep returning it until you get a flawless one and throw it in a case.

planethitsradio

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Just to clarify so that I can be added to the list.

64GB Black/Slate
Week 36, Factory F1 - damaged, 2 nicks on left side under volume buttons.

Debating on getting the white, but wanting to wait and see. Talked to Apple store employees and 3 of them pulled out scuffed phones.. Very interesting to see the Apple stance on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.