Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
By that logic the iPhone 4S would have been called the iPhone 5. It wasn't becuase that's not the logic that Apple is following.

It's not that hard to work it out: New number for new design. Add a letter instead if it's an internal upgrade. Very simple. It has NOTHING to do with what generation or what release it is.

iPhone 4 = New design
iPhone 4S = Internal upgrade
iPhone 5 = New design
iPhone 5S = Internal upgrade
iPhone 6 = New design
iPhone 6S = Internal upgrade

Are you getting it yet?

Who cares about the name. With this release time (sept) it will give me a chance to review the 4G windows phones.

So far the windows phones are pretty good, and if they continue to improve apollo 4g LTE phone might be close enough.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
By that logic the iPhone 4S would have been called the iPhone 5. It wasn't becuase that's not the logic that Apple is following.

It's not that hard to work it out: New number for new design. Add a letter instead if it's an internal upgrade. Very simple. It has NOTHING to do with what generation or what release it is.

iPhone 4 = New design
iPhone 5 = New design
iPhone 6 = New design

Are you getting it yet?

Thats exactly the logic I have tried to demonstrate in the past but not as good as you have done, its like a games console think of a Playstation

1. Playstation
2. PSOne
3. Playstation 2
4. PS2 Slim
5. PS3
6. PS3 Slim

7 = PS7 :confused::confused: duhhh

----------

Oh and i'm quite disappointed by the rumours as I will have had my iPhone 4 for 28 months (24month contract can upgrade after 23) before the next iPhone has been released.

Theres no way you can call a 4S a substantial upgrade from the 4 and yet they make the launch day iPhone 4 users suffer around 5 months after their contract expires?

Not good, I for one might just be looking at what the competition is offering even though I always swore i'd never have another brand of phone after getting my iPhone 4.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Regardless of what it's to be called, waiting until October sucks! I'm stuck with this god forsaken Droid X (out of contract no less) and having to wait an additional 4 months is torture. I think they should release it NOW so that I can be happy.:mad::D

Just look at when they release the new iPad. Take note of the processor in the new iPad because it will be in the Fall release of the new iPhone.

I am starting to think especially this year the Fall release make sense. Apple will need time to test the LTE chip in when the new LTE chip comes out in force.

Pinneh

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Champaign, IL
Would it make sense following this past cycle? Yes, but isn't the 4S still being rolled out or just finishing rolling out abroad?

Time will tell and so will more rumors.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I couldn't care less what it is called. I am getting bored with my iphone 4 and have no interest in the 4S, so the sooner they release it, the better as far as I am concerned. 6 more months is a long time to wait when it comes to electronics.

ihateilove

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Bandwidth barrier

I was reading this, End of PC era -- Orange Business Blogs and it set me thinking -- as smartphones proliferate, can we really expect mobile data bandwidth to be so easily available? Will quality of service considerations damage the dream? I expect tiered pricing levels in future....

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN

iPhone 4 = New design
iPhone 5 = New design
iPhone 6 = New design

Are you getting it yet?
Nope -

So far the iPhone releases have either been named after the carrier technology (3G), adding an S to indicate similar form factor but faster (3GS/4S) or iPhone release number (4).

iPhone '5' does not make sense along any of those lines... I agree with those that say they should probably just call it the 'iPhone' and we'll consider this one the iPhone (2012)...

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Nope -

So far the iPhone releases have either been named after the carrier technology (3G), adding an S to indicate similar form factor but faster (3GS/4S) or iPhone release number (4).

iPhone '5' does not make sense along any of those lines... I agree with those that say they should probably just call it the 'iPhone' and we'll consider this one the iPhone (2012)...

If you follow that logic the next iPhone will be the 4GS.

As I've said before they can't just call it the iPhone because they have more than one version on sale. Look at the current situation - you can still buy the iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S. How does that system work if they're all just called iPhone? Answer it doesn't and would confuse the hell out of everyone.

I don't see why soooooooo many people can't get their head round the fact that the next version will be the iPhone 5. All the tech websites, all the tv shows, all the newspapers, all the magazines are referring to the iPhone 5. You think Apple wants to lose all that free publicity by calling it something else? Of course they don't.

It's about simplicity and continuity.

AnthonySmith

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
Southern CA
You wont be. Why would a carrier subsidize a handset for you and 12 months later do it again? That's the whole point of 2-year contracts, to ensure their subsidization up front is paid for by the end of your contract.

I don't know, I mean when I got my iPhone 4 in June 2010, I was eligible for upgrade in February 2011. When I first got my 3GS for Christmas 2008, I was eligible for upgrade November of 2009.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Why wouldn't you want a 4" screen? The phone itself doesn't really have to get any bigger to incorporate a 4" display. I hate big brick phones. But 4" is just perfect. The positives outweigh the negatives by a ton. Browsing, Reading, etc. My wife has a DInc2 with a 4" display and although I hate Android, it's form factor is beautiful. And it's no bigger then my 4S. Apple isn't into making things big and bulky, so you don't have to worry about that at all. I'm willing to bet an iphone with a 4" display will look and feelp perfect.

The only thing that would even remotely concern me would be battery life if they do happen to incorporate a 4" display and LTE. But I would hope Apple put a ton of time into the battery..Which I'm sure they did. They could have easily put LTE into the 4S to keep up with the competition, but they didn't. So rushing it out before it was ready was not in their agenda.

I don't want any bigger of a device. The 4S just feels right in my hand. I came from a Captivate, and that device was always just a little too big. Also, the 4S is small enough that I can type in landscape mode on it if I want, whereas with the Captivate, it was just too big.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I don't think many people outside the US use the term LTE. We refer to it as 4G. Also many people won't be able to use the LTE/4G facility at launch coz they don't have a 4G network yet.

No matter how loudly you shout going from iPhone 4S to iPhone 6 will just confuse everyone. Apple like to keep it simple so it'll be the iPhone 5 then next year the iPhone 5S then the iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, etc. So they only change the number when there is a new design rather than an internal upgrade.

They went from 3GS to 4. I mean, they weren't even using a number system until the iPhone 4!

----------

iPhone 4 = New design
iPhone 5 = New design
iPhone 6 = New design

Are you getting it yet?

Except it would be off from the iPhone to iPhone 3GS. They went straight to 4 before doing any numbers because it was the 4th iPhone.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
iPhone 5 makes perfect sense if you actually stop and THINK about it!

Look at this chart (Is it considered a chart? Table? Who cares just read it):

1: iPhone - Original model (First Gen)
-----------
2: iPhone 3G - Redesign, whole new internals and loads of new features (Second Gen)
3: iPhone 3GS - Some slightly upgraded internals; handful of exclusive features ("Third Gen")
-----------
4: iPhone 4 - Redesign, whole new internals and loads of new features (Fourth [really 3rd] Gen)
5: iPhone 4S - Some slightly upgraded internals; handful of exclusive features ("Fifth Gen")
-----------
6: iPhone 5 - Redesign, whole new internals and loads of new features. Continues with a good consistent set-up strategy that started with the iPhone 3G (Apple could have very easily decided to go sequential with the iPhone 3G; YOU don't know if they did or not).

OR:

6: iPhone 6 - Redesign, whole new internals and loads of new features. Imcomplete pattern. The masses and media will wonder "Wait, what about the iPhone 5?" (Fun fact: A good amount of consumers think that the iPhone 4S is still the 4th generation/don't know about the "generations" in a whole).

Face it, the 3GS and 4S are just REVISIONS. When Apple upgrades the iMac line or the MacBook Pro line with faster processors and a couple of new things, do you go and call it the next generation MacBook? Whenever a car maker (Like Mercedes-Benz) gives their car a facelift, does that mean it's a whole new generation? The 3GS and 4S are just internal facelifts to the 3G and 4. That's ALL they are. Is it logical to call the 6th generation iPhone the iPhone 6? Yes. Is it practical for the market? No, not at all.

Last edited:

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
There's one person at Apple who gets to the decide what the next iPhone is called and I hope to hell he doesn't read tables on mac rumours when making his decisions...

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Better not be true.

OH WTF APPLE WTF!:mad:
My contract ends April 10th and if this september-October time frame for a iPhone 5 which is probably going to look the same with ***** specs and allow google, htc & other phones out do you in more advance technology then I'll just have to say F it and buy a android phone. I'm not waiting any longer for this delayed BS. I've waited sinse the iPhone4S and then some for the 5th Gen iPhone. Wow what horrible news this better be just a rumor or I'm going to be pissed.

Another thing lower the GD price tag on the Mac Pros and put HDMI cards in there and allow all nvidia and ATI graphics cards work, I'm getting pretty close to switching to PC.:mad:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
OH WTF APPLE WTF!:mad:
My contract ends April 10th and if this september-October time frame for a iPhone 5 which is probably going to look the same with ***** specs and allow google, htc & other phones out do you in more advance technology then I'll just have to say F it and buy a android phone. I'm not waiting any longer for this delayed BS. I've waited sinse the iPhone4S and then some for the 5th Gen iPhone. Wow what horrible news this better be just a rumor or I'm going to be pissed.

Another thing lower the GD price tag on the Mac Pros and put HDMI cards in there and allow all nvidia and ATI graphics cards work, I'm getting pretty close to switching to PC.:mad:

So Apple should screw over everyone else (primarily iPhone 4S users) just because your contract ends on April 10th, at which point you can simply renew your contract, or some carriers (I don't know yours) even let you hold your upgrade? Also, the iPhone isn't delayed. Apple's just switched over to a Fall release to boost sales in the holiday season. Also, if you've waited since the iPhone 4S, you've only waited 5 months. I'm assuming that if you've waited since the 4S and your plan ends in April 10, then you bought it unlocked. Just buy an unlocked iPhone 5.

ASKendrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
United Kingdom
How do upgrades work for your carrier?

This new release timeframe is bad for me because my contract ends in June. I won't be able to negotiate with retentions if I don't resign a contract before my current one ends so September is bad for me.

I'm with Orange in the UK. So we get our upgrades 3 months before the end of our contract. So I still have 3 months to play with from August!

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
So Apple should screw over everyone else (primarily iPhone 4S users) just because your contract ends on April 10th, at which point you can simply renew your contract, or some carriers (I don't know yours) even let you hold your upgrade? Also, the iPhone isn't delayed. Apple's just switched over to a Fall release to boost sales in the holiday season. Also, if you've waited since the iPhone 4S, you've only waited 5 months. I'm assuming that if you've waited since the 4S and your plan ends in April 10, then you bought it unlocked. Just buy an unlocked iPhone 5.

So us with 24 months iPhone 4 contracts from July 2010 have to suffer cos you don't want a new iPhone too close to the iPhone 4Stopgaps release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.