Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Love the phone, overall it's a great product. Fast, stylish, even maps works great (so far).

Only complaint - size is too big. Compared to 4S, it's much less usable with one hand. 3.5 in. was the perfect size, it's a shame Apple got caught up in "bigger=better" crap. Hope that someday they release another 3.5in product...

Reactions: ASentientBot

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I think we all know apple didn't really want to increase iPhone size but were swayed by public demand , consumer trend and from the competition.

I'm nipping out to my local network shop to handle the iPhone 5 and am keeping an open mind until then. :)

Lord Egregious

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
I think we all know apple didn't really want to increase iPhone size but were swayed by public demand , consumer trend and from the competition.

Right it isn't just hype, there is real data that consumers are interested in larger screens for their phones. I'm pretty sure it is one of the top reasons why people go android over iphone. I think if you've only used an iphone since launch than it will be hard to get use to using it. I'd give it more than a day though.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I would've loved a 4.3" screen but will happily use a 4" instead. If apple had released another 3.5" this year, I'd probably be holding an S3 right now.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
Yes that was my first thought. I am planning on buying the 4S from my 4 but before I do that I will go and test the phone in my hands to see. But my hypothesis is that it is too long. Yuk!

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I think the new screen is a great compromise between those who liked 3.5" and those who wanted a bigger screen. I wasn't buying the taller but not wider thing at first but after using it all day today I think Apple nailed it.

yellowfever5

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
UK
Agreed too big. I use mine lying down, one handed all the time. With the iphone 5 i'm constantly having to stretch and adjust. Add to this the garish oversaturated colours and 'buttery' white screen. I'm sorry, it's going back

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I really like it. It's doable one handed and not as cramped when going two handed turned sideways. I have pretty big hands though.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
There's no doubt that ladies have always preferred the 3.5 inches...

1pyquo.jpg

I guess 4 inches is just not the same...

• Haha
Reactions: UltraInstinct

bigblack06

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Wow I'm amazed at how many are complaining about the screen size the size is fine and honestly the only problem I have is that I think they should have gone a little wider it really looks weird but all those who bought an iPhone 5 and don't like the screen return it I know lots of people that will purchase it.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Two-handed with iP5 is great, but I tend to use my phone one-handed more, even for web browsing. Maybe my trend to do so will change now.

One-handed, it's hard to reach the top of the screen to "scroll to top". My hands are quite large and not girly at all. It's just not comfortable to reach that far with my thumb.

Not hating on the phone, it's great. Makes the 4S and everything else look from the stone age. Just with they could have made it 3.5 in...

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I must agree with OP.

I find myself dreading pulling the iPhone 5 out of my pocket a bit.

While the larger screen looks nice, it's slightly less practical to carry and hold.

Maybe the larger size is why the factory is scratching them all up. ha. They can't hold them as they were used to the 4S!

macfanrutler

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
NJ
wow

These forums are just so entertaining after a new product release!!!!

I couldn't agree more.

The screen is too small, now it's too big

It's too heavy, now it's too light and feels cheap

The glass back breaks too easily, the aluminum back is terrible

If I take keys to my phone it scratches.

Can't we just be happy for once.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I don't think they'll ever go back to a 3.5" screen on the flagship iPhone, but I could see them reducing the height of the phone over time while keeping the screen size the same.

I should definitely be possible in a couple of years to do a phone with the 4" screen size but the same overall height as the iPhone 4/4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.