Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Man. My parents used to work at BlackBerry during its heydays. I was carrying all kind of different BlackBerry devices, such as BlackBerry Bold or BlackBerry Q10.

I really would hoped BlackBerry being the worthy third mobile platform, which could give Apple or Google more competition. But I guess it is history now.

I still feel the 4 and 4S design are the better one.
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that there's been an effective duopoly on mobile operating systems for over decade now. You'd figure somebody would have a competing solution by now.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Came from a thread discussing iPhone 12/13 mini was the dream small phone, how time has changed people's opinions

Not everyone’s.

I posted this in that other thread, complaining that the iPhone 12/13 mini is in fact a huge phone.

240315-iphone-jpg.2359232

I would easily pay $5000 for the good camera and the good screen in an iPhone 3G form factor.

Reactions: Andeddu

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that there's been an effective duopoly on mobile operating systems for over decade now. You'd figure somebody would have a competing solution by now.

We have had BlackBerry, Microsoft Windows phone, Samsung Tizen etc. But yeah, I hope we can have a creditable third player in mobile market.

Reactions: nj-morris

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…I hope we can have a creditable third player in mobile market.
I think before that we need a credible third OS. Right now, the 'other' phone makers are using Android. Sure, it's their flavor of Android, but it's still Android.

So far, the only credible OS contender to Android is iOS. Someone creates a viable alternative to both and the hardware is already there to be used. Consumers do buy on price and brand name, but a lot of people buy because they prefer iOS over Android or vice-versa.

If you get a choice to use a third OS, would you try it? I would.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Well come to think of it, the 4/4S iPhones is the perfect blend of style, functionality and ergonomics. Back when phones were just texting, emailing and personal listening tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.