Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Wow I'm amazed at how many are complaining about the screen size the size is fine and honestly the only problem I have is that I think they should have gone a little wider it really looks weird but all those who bought an iPhone 5 and don't like the screen return it I know lots of people that will purchase it.

Amazed? 3 people are complaining out of about 10 million phones sold. Yeah, maybe there is a handful of complaints, but I think the sales figure shows that most are happy with it. I sure am.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Love the phone, overall it's a great product. Fast, stylish, even maps works great (so far).

Only complaint - size is too big. Compared to 4S, it's much less usable with one hand. 3.5 in. was the perfect size, it's a shame Apple got caught up in "bigger=better" crap. Hope that someday they release another 3.5in product...

I'm going to try one out tomorrow but I've felt all along that they should have increased the screen WITHIN THE SAME form factor as we had in the 4/4s.

THAT would have been something.

You'll note that half the initial video ad on the apple site for the iPhone was about how it was still usable with one hand and the other half about the manufacturing.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The size of display no longer matters. Apple builds what Apple wants. They've got most of their buyers programmed to believe only Apple knows best. No discussion needed. It's set in stone :)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I'm going to try one out tomorrow but I've felt all along that they should have increased the screen WITHIN THE SAME form factor as we had in the 4/4s.

THAT would have been something.

You'll note that half the initial video ad on the apple site for the iPhone was about how it was still usable with one hand and the other half about the manufacturing.

I don't think they could have done that this generation, not while also doing LTE. It looks pretty packed in there:

ZTIJAM3jViOTVAQ5.huge

I do think that we may see an iPhone in the future though that comes closer to the height of the 4/4S while keeping the larger screen.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Love the phone, overall it's a great product. Fast, stylish, even maps works great (so far).

Only complaint - size is too big. Compared to 4S, it's much less usable with one hand. 3.5 in. was the perfect size, it's a shame Apple got caught up in "bigger=better" crap. Hope that someday they release another 3.5in product...

Steve Jobs is that you?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I actually love the size! The screen is just so much more useful. It's amazing how just a few millimeters of height make the whole screen feel wider and bigger!
I think it was also a necessary evil because like other have said, LTE would've been impossible or delayed another year in the old 3.5" format.
I think the taller screen is awesome. More email, more messages ... I'm on board!

aiom

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
I must totally agree to the topicstarter.

I was blinded by the looks and reviews of the iPhone 5 series, and when I finally bought one today (coming from a 3.5" product) I was hugely disappointed. Really, I couldn't be more disappointed... I checked everything, but the size... and the smartphone being "handy" is the most important thing ever. I totally forgot that.

I can't grip and touch anymore comfortable with one hand. Touching and working around in with the thumb from bottom to top and then comfortable reaching the standby-button... not possible anymore. If I could I would return it for a fresh iPhone 4s, but unfortunately I can't.

The developments with bigger=better are a joke. Considering that they want to create a 4.7 inch device or even 5.5 it's even more retarded, when you think about it. Steve Jobs was totally right in trying to stay at the 3.5" design. The 4S was indeed the perfect size.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
You use Maps but you think the screen is to big?? How do you even see it when driving?

Edit. Just saw that this thread is 2 years old. Doh

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Lolz, the i5 is tiny. It did look a bit weird when first released, too tall for the width, but it really is the maximum size that can be comfortably used in one hand with a thumb. Next up, the iPhone 6 will be much bigger and I'm glad. Smartphones need bigger screens.

aiom

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Wow. So you resurrected a TWO year old thread to tell us that?

Yes!

either you have girl hands

I don't think Steve Jobs had girl's hands.

Either it's a phone that is handy to use and can be controlled with very little effort / without changing grips to reach *all* buttons, or it's a phablet hybrid already. Obviously it belongs to the latter one. If I had known that 1cm larger in length could have such huge impact on the comfort... it's almost unbelievable no one ever mentioned it.

Next up, the iPhone 6 will be much bigger and I'm glad. Smartphones need bigger screens.

And how do you control it then? With 1 thumb? I doubt it. And when you are required to use both hands to use it efficiently then it's a tablet and therefore should be categorized as tablet or phablet - in order to not mislead people.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yes!

Either it's a phone that is handy to use and can be controlled with very little effort / without changing grips to reach *all* buttons, or it's a phablet hybrid already. Obviously it belongs to the latter one. If I had known that 1cm larger in length could have such huge impact on the comfort... it's almost unbelievable no one ever mentioned it.

And how do you control it then? With 1 thumb? I doubt it. And when you are required to use both hands to use it efficiently then it's a tablet and therefore should be categorized as tablet or phablet - in order to not mislead people.

I would have to shift my grip a little here and there, some skill would have to be learned to use the device fully with one hand. It's the way things have gone, the market has spoken and Apple can't afford to get left behind. A 4.7" screen contained within a device with a slim bezel can pull off the task.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Yes!

You are holding it wrong.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
LOL.. I am not sure this is against rule of something.

Came from a thread discussing iPhone 12/13 mini was the dream small phone, how time has changed people's opinions

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Good read, fascinating how opinions change.
I remember myself when the 5 came out and I felt a need to get a thumb extension surgery done.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Man, the iPhone 5, those were the days...

I was 12-13 years old at the time and there was a phase where I really wanted it as my first phone but I knew my parents would never get me one. Ended up getting a BlackBerry Z10 instead :confused:

Honestly, I think the 5 and 5s remain the prettiest iPhone models to this day. Shame about the 5c coming and ruining what could have been a great mid-range purchase.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Man, the iPhone 5, those were the days...

I was 12-13 years old at the time and there was a phase where I really wanted it as my first phone but I knew my parents would never get me one. Ended up getting a BlackBerry Z10 instead :confused:

Honestly, I think the 5 and 5s remain the prettiest iPhone models to this day. Shame about the 5c coming and ruining what could have been a great mid-range purchase.

Man. My parents used to work at BlackBerry during its heydays. I was carrying all kind of different BlackBerry devices, such as BlackBerry Bold or BlackBerry Q10.

I really would hoped BlackBerry being the worthy third mobile platform, which could give Apple or Google more competition. But I guess it is history now.

I still feel the 4 and 4S design are the better one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.