Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I found with my ip4 that the connector was starting to fail whereby the phone would actually think it was docked when it wasn't therefore silencing notifications. I don't recall if it silenced phone calls as well though I must admit!

It's ridiculous this still happens.

Used to happen since iPhone 4.

It goes back to that old adage of "the iPhone can do so much --except act like a phone correctly"

It's just insane that they can't get the programming code to just stay consistent after so many years!??

On: set to on
Silent: set to silent

IS THIS SO HARD TO PROGRAM IN AND HAVE IT STAY THAT WAY??!!

Am I nuts to assume the engineers should be able to figure it out?

Why do "apps" have access to this realm in iOS anyway? Nothing should be able to effect it besides the toggle button on the side.

Why do you need a restart? Is threre no way to build in some sort of self check/reset plan for the core elements of the device?!

I mean I have missed important texts over this trash. Just randomly it chooses to forget to engage the alerts!? So unprofessional and simple.

Just give alerts a dynamic self sufficient system that is consistent and un-hack-able. To make alerts a priority and as solid and consistent as anything in the OS. Rewrite the damn code or something.

Last edited:

scitodd

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
problem with text message not sounding

I was having the same issue. Funny thing the sleep button had be pressed. It now works wonderfully

htenhoope

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2014
The joy of the slide up notification center

This is simply because people have their phones in their pocket and putting it your pocket while the screen is still on can slide up the notification center and then the DND button could be pressed inside the pocket. :)

vintagecherries

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Oops...DND was the culprit

I kind of can't believe it but I read through the responses and rolled my eyes at the "do not disturb" suggestion. Well I checked anyway and it was ON. wtf! I never turned it on...ever. So for the people saying "duh"...check anyway.

Not the anyone else isn't having a real issue. Iphones are terribly buggy. I wish they'd get their **** together

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I kind of can't believe it but I read through the responses and rolled my eyes at the "do not disturb" suggestion. Well I checked anyway and it was ON. wtf! I never turned it on...ever. So for the people saying "duh"...check anyway.

Not the anyone else isn't having a real issue. Iphones are terribly buggy. I wish they'd get their **** together
Wouldn't you pretty much know it rather quickly without even checking any settings by simply seeing a crescent moon icon in the status bar?

Certainly doesn't seem like anything is buggy, and especially "terribly" so.

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Make sure "Scheduled" isn't turned on in you settings. If it is, Do Not Disturbed will switch itself on.
IMG_5435.PNG

vintagecherries

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Wouldn't you pretty much know it rather quickly without even checking any settings by simply seeing a crescent moon icon in the status bar?

Certainly doesn't seem like anything is buggy, and especially "terribly" so.

No because the moon is tiny and I also never paid attention to what it even meant as I never used the DND function.

And how have you determined that my phone hasn't been terribly buggy? This is my 4th Iphone and all of them have had issues. Just because this one was a no brainer doesn't mean I havent had other issues.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No because the moon is tiny and I also never paid attention to what it even meant as I never used the DND function.

And how have you determined that my phone hasn't been terribly buggy? This is my 4th Iphone and all of them have had issues. Just because this one was a no brainer doesn't mean I havent had other issues.
Odd, most people definitely look at their status bar often as that's present pretty much on every screen and has important and useful information about the phone--pretty much applies to any phone, even basic/feature phones.

As far as buggy phones...I believe I was replying to your statement that said "Iphones are terribly buggy. I wish they'd get their **** together" That doesn't really appear to be specific to your phones/issues, and looks like a more generalized blanket statement. My response was to that blanket generalization to say that there's really nothing in the generalized sense that makes iPhones buggy for people in general.

Do some people have issues? Sure. Do some people have more issues than others? Sure, that too. Are there some sort of widespread issues, any more so than with really any other devices or products out there? No, not really.

Lalaloser

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Hi. I got my iPhone 5 last Friday but I have noticed that it does not alert me everytime I get a text message. I offend lift my phone up and have a few messages on it with out a text tone alert.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do[/QUOTE]

If you have "Do not Disturb" on go turn it off it should help this problem. (Settings>Do not disturb) Hope this helped:)

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi. I got my iPhone 5 last Friday but I have noticed that it does not alert me everytime I get a text message. I offend lift my phone up and have a few messages on it with out a text tone alert.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do

If you have "Do not Disturb" on go turn it off it should help this problem. (Settings>Do not disturb) Hope this helped:)
Already been brought up many times in this thread, and seemingly didn't apply to the original issue.

DJCincy81

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Close the program and reopen it

I had the same problem. What I found fixed the problem was double tapping home button and closing all the programs open. After I closed the texting it started to alarm me again as messages were coming in.

applefan01

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014

Try this: Go to 'settings' and select "do not disturb" then turn off the switch for "Repeated Calls" - I had the same issue and after turning off the Repeated Calls toggle the problem stopped. Hope this helps you.:)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Try this: Go to 'settings' and select "do not disturb" then turn off the switch for "Repeated Calls" - I had the same issue and after turning off the Repeated Calls toggle the problem stopped. Hope this helps you.:)
You are saying that somehow a completely unrelated function of repeated calls related to another unrelated feature of do not disturb affected getting audible notifications of text messages?

SAC521

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
DO NOT DISTURB can be inadvertently set for individual text thread!!

Hello all,

I've just registered here for the singular purpose of sharing what I've just discovered regarding MY problem with not receiving alert tones when I've received a text.

Yes, yes...I know...the DO NOT DISTURB issue has been raised before and it didn't resolve the problem for everyone. Well, as I read this thread and discovered, one by one, that the solutions kindly suggested by other members did not work for me either, I looked more closely at my text messages listing of text "senders".

Try this. Go to your messages and look at the individual text threads you've received from various individuals. You may find that one or more of those threads have the "quarter moon" icon listed just to the left of the "senders" name. Aha! If that is what you find, then tap on that sender's name and then select "details". You will then see the DO NOT DISTURB selection half way down the screen has somehow been activated EVEN THOUGH, your "global" DO NOT DISTURB icon was NOT!!!

Turn off that individual DND and that may just fix your problem with not receiving sound alerts for your incoming texts. Repeat the process for any other inadvertent DND'd message senders. :)

p.s. - this works with iPhone 5s but I don't know if it will work with older iphones, although, I would imagine with the most recent update to 8.0.2 OS that it might work on other compatible iphones.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello all,

I've just registered here for the singular purpose of sharing what I've just discovered regarding MY problem with not receiving alert tones when I've received a text.

Yes, yes...I know...the DO NOT DISTURB issue has been raised before and it didn't resolve the problem for everyone. Well, as I read this thread and discovered, one by one, that the solutions kindly suggested by other members did not work for me either, I looked more closely at my text messages listing of text "senders".

Try this. Go to your messages and look at the individual text threads you've received from various individuals. You may find that one or more of those threads have the "quarter moon" icon listed just to the left of the "senders" name. Aha! If that is what you find, then tap on that sender's name and then select "details". You will then see the DO NOT DISTURB selection half way down the screen has somehow been activated EVEN THOUGH, your "global" DO NOT DISTURB icon was NOT!!!

Turn off that individual DND and that may just fix your problem with not receiving sound alerts for your incoming texts. Repeat the process for any other inadvertent DND'd message senders. :)

p.s. - this works with iPhone 5s but I don't know if it will work with older iphones, although, I would imagine with the most recent update to 8.0.2 OS that it might work on other compatible iphones.
Certainly something to keep in mind as of iOS 8. It probably won't really relate much to those with these issues prior to iOS 8 coming out, but might for some currently or in the future.

mangeley

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Mine was not ringing on text mess. come to find out do not disturb was on. Turn it off works great.

commbubba19

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
I am having a similar but different issue.

Do not Disturb is off.

Do not Disturb has two silence options:
1: Always - All alerts and notifications are silenced
2: Only when Locked will alerts be silenced.

Do not Disturb is off for all of my contacts in the messages thread.

The issue happens only with SMS messages.

My specific issue -

When my phone is asleep. A text message will be received. I know this as the phone will partially vibrate. The notification alert will not sound and the screen will not wake up to display the message. All settings are set correctly for this to occur.

Once I press the wake/power key on the phone, the alert will sound and the phone will vibrate however it will be for the original message. Please make note the alert sound is truncated slightly.

Subsequent messages will work just fine.

Wait a random period of time and the issue will re-occur.

Bluetooth being on or off doesn't have an impact.

Messages Application being open or closed from memory has no impact.

New or existing SMS thread has no impact.

I've worked with both Apple and Sprint on this issue.

Troubleshooting steps so far:
Wipe phone and restore.
Wipe phone and build as new.
Wipe phone and re-load IOS 8.1.1 from iTunes.
Replace phone.
Replacement phone continues to have the same issue. Same steps above applied to the new phone with no resolution.

SMS messages from within the carrier network and outside of the carrier network have this issue.

This is not a carrier issue as the phone receives the message, it just has a 'brain fart' when trying to alert me. This is a software bug, not hardware (however I went from a 5s to a 5s. Going to a 5c or 6 may be different).

Sprint has no resolution but has internal documents stating this has been an ongoing issue.

Apple has escalated but does not pro-actively contact me. I have to keep calling them which usually takes me about an hour before I get to a decent engineer.

If this wasn't a corporate phone, I'd be on Android. :)

Amy614

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
DND was on

I've been trying to get the notifications to show on my new iPhone 6 for weeks. Finally after getting through half this thread I found the DND WAS on. I turned it off and now it works. Thanks!!:eek:

BehrTek

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
iPhone 5 text tone alert not always alerting me - SOLVED

I have not had this issue on my iPhone 6, but my roommate has. If I am out shopping or running errands and text him, I get no reply. Little did I know, he was not getting any notification of my texts. This began to really annoy me. I finally sat down at home and went through all the settings for Message, Sounds, Notifications and anything else I could think of on BOTH iPhones. All settings were identical on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.2), and on my roommate's iPhone 6 (also running iOS 8.2). FINALLY, I figured out the the issue is NOT an iOS issue, what had happened was that some how, he had accidentally set my texting thread on his iPhone 6 to: Do Not Disturb! How can you fix this on your iPhone? Go to the Messages app, then tap on the thread you are not being notified of, tap on the Details option in the top right corner of your display (this will show the contact info for this person). Scroll down to the Do Not Disturb option and make sure it is not set to be On (note that under this option it reads: Mute notifications for this conversation). If there is a green circle showing for this option, you will not receive ANY notification of incoming text messages for this person. Make sure this option is turned Off, then press your Home button, and have this person try sending you another test text. You should be all set now. Though this option not seem like a feature, it is. :apple:

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have not had this issue on my iPhone 6, but my roommate has. If I am out shopping or running errands and text him, I get no reply. Little did I know, he was not getting any notification of my texts. This began to really annoy me. I finally sat down at home and went through all the settings for Message, Sounds, Notifications and anything else I could think of on BOTH iPhones. All settings were identical on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.2), and on my roommate's iPhone 6 (also running iOS 8.2). FINALLY, I figured out the the issue is NOT an iOS issue, what had happened was that some how, he had accidentally set my texting thread on his iPhone 6 to: Do Not Disturb! How can you fix this on your iPhone? Go to the Messages app, then tap on the thread you are not being notified of, tap on the Details option in the top right corner of your display (this will show the contact info for this person). Scroll down to the Do Not Disturb option and make sure it is not set to be On (note that under this option it reads: Mute notifications for this conversation). If there is a green circle showing for this option, you will not receive ANY notification of incoming text messages for this person. Make sure this option is turned Off, then press your Home button, and have this person try sending you another test text. You should be all set now. Though this option not seem like a feature, it is. :apple:
Again, seems like something that was discussed in the last few replies in the thread already, and while it might apply to iOS 8, it doesn't quite explain much about earlier versions about which most of the thread has been about (since it was from a time before iOS 8 and messaging DND).

SRCHIEF

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2015
Certainly something to keep in mind as of iOS 8. It probably won't really relate much to those with these issues prior to iOS 8 coming out, but might for some currently or in the future.

This worked after trying everything else. Went to last text details and found the DND open. Closed it and it works fine. Thank you! ;)

zenkid0

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015

I had the same problem with my iPhone 5s. After checking the Do Not Disturb, the mute side switch,etc. I searched a bit deeper on the phone and found a DND within the Message program. Go to Messages>pick a non responding sender>Details (upper right )>scroll down to find the DND for that person. Switch it off.

I have no idea how ours were turned on but switching them off solved our problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.