Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
I think the iPhone5 will look a lot like the iPhone4.

The tapered parts etc, are probably for an iPod Touch

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
The render looks like a current gen iPod Touch in white. In essence that would work for the next iPhone...its slim, light and way more attractive than the horrible iPhone 4 design (IMO of course).

As long as they don't make it entirely plastic I don't mind....just ends up looking cheap. The iPhone 3G was ok - I loved that design & its undoubtedly the best one they have come up with.

I don't see the point in a bigger screen. The screen size now is fine, you make it any bigger and it'll go over the edge of being a decent size. We've all seen those tacky phones with the HUGE screens...they are not practical in actual use. I can't see any possible reason why we would all NEED a bigger screen on a phone.

Please! The iphone 4's screen is tiny. What a joke about the larger screen phones not being practical. In fact, a larger screen makes it easier to use.

Mini cell phones were popular 10 years ago; let's move ahead!

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Do you guys think 3.7" is even good enough?

I don't think a 3.7" would make me drop the iphone4. only a .2" isn't much.

I would much rather prefer a 4". That would be a instant sell in my mind

A 4" phone might be too large for users with small hands (thinking women in particular, who statistically are probably more likely to buy an iPhone than an Android phone); remember Apple is about usability rather than specs. I've got above average hand size and I can get anywhere on the 3.5" screen one-handed with my thumb; at 4" it might be a stretch and I doubt some users could do it without having to start moving their hand too.

3.7" would be a more effective change. Keeps retina designation and useable for 99% of peeps.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
It was rumored that Apple will release an iPhone 4S, that looks largely similar to the iPhone 4. They wouldn't call it 4S with "S" for "Speed" if it wasn't faster, would they? It makes sense for the device to have the A5 as well.

As for a redesigned iPhone 5: it's Tim Cook's first keynote without Steve Jobs and Apple's most important product – and the next iPhone is already a few months late. Presenting only a boring speed bump despite the significance of the event would neither satisfy customers nor shareholders.

blacktaxi2d

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8 3.8

how many times does it have to be said ?

the screen ill be 3.8", the largest it can be at this resolution and still be a retina display. no one thought it would be 4", it is also hard to swipe from the top down on a 4" phone.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
A 4" phone might be too large for users with small hands (thinking women in particular, who statistically are probably more likely to buy an iPhone than an Android phone); remember Apple is about usability rather than specs. I've got above average hand size and I can get anywhere on the 3.5" screen one-handed with my thumb; at 4" it might be a stretch and I doubt some users could do it without having to start moving their hand too.

3.7" would be a more effective change. Keeps retina designation and useable for 99% of peeps.

I agree. I think that somewhere in the 3.7" to 3.8" range is the sweet spot in terms of a bit bigger but not enough change to make develpers need to redesign their UIs.

One thing that might have helped in a jump to a 4" screen is if the rumour of a swipe-able home button was also true. One of the most awkward places for right-handed people with small hands to get to is the back button that so many apps put up in the top left of the screen (e.g. as one navigates through levels in the built in iOS "Settings" app). If one could swipe right to left across the home button to initiate a back action then that would avoid most of the stretching that I end up doing to get to a tap target at the far top left of the screen because most times it does seem to be a back button that I'm reaching for.

- Julian

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
the screen ill be 3.8", the largest it can be at this resolution and still be a retina display.

Nope, just ithe same resolution with a larger screen.

Since the screen is larger, you tend to hold it further away, so the math works out to it still being a retina display. :D:D

Apple is allowed to change their minds without explaining. They have done it enough on large issues, minor issues like adding an extra 0.5"-0.7" without changing resolution should fly right under the radar without discussion. :D

I would rather see a larger screen even with the same resolution.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Žalgiris;13261922 said:
Yep let's change things for the sake of change. When people talk this nonsense, makes it clear they have no idea what they are talking about.

depends on the eye of the beholder, thx god :p

widgets would be a start, its quiet embarrassing if someone asks u for the weather and u have to unlock ur phone, enter the passcode, tap the icon, open the app and look while my 5 year old nokia was able to do it from one look at the screen

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
"with a design to allow the bezel of the panel to become thinner and make the screen look larger."

Ahh that old trick......:D

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Whats the point of increasing the screen size by only 0.2 inch? They should either retain the 3.5" inch screen or should go upward 4" inch else its a waste..

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
If it's smaller than 4" I'll really have to consider looking elsewhere for my next phone. Hopefully my 3GS will keep me going a little longer though, iOS5 should be a nice refresher.

BigIssueMan

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
Apple Sept Event Date

GUYS I HAVE SOME REALLY IMPORTANT NEWS!!!

The apple media event will be on the 5th of september!!!!!!!!

One of my friends that works for a media firm has just recieved an invite to attend the apple event, apple is demanding to keep the invite a secret until wednesday the 31st of august by which time they can send all invites out.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA

One of my friends that works for a media firm has just recieved an invite to attend the apple event, apple is demanding to keep the invite a secret until wednesday the 31st of august by which time they can send all invites out.

Why would :apple: hold their media event on Labor Day? Way to many people will be spending the last good summer weekend...going to an Apple event.

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
I am pretty sure about the look of new iPhone. Just take a look at iPad 2 and imagine it scaled down to the phone dimensions. Don't expect unexpected. The designers don't have that big space for manoeuvre...

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia

That's a big call, lets see how true it is come Wednesday....

LobsterDK

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Yup, it'll either make us devs produce a LOT more images for each app we make, or will cause stretching. Either way its a loose loose situation for users and developers.

Even if the resolution is kept the same, it'll still give the appearance of stretching.

I'm an iOS developer myself. What "stretching" are you talking about? If the resolution and aspect ratio remain the same (and they would, without question) then it will look identical only slightly larger. Given we are talking about touch devices, that's not a bad thing. It makes the hit area of UI elements slightly larger and easier to hit. It won't cause any visual distortion in the way you are implying. And the consistent resolution (960x640) would mean you don't have to create any other assets than the same standard and hi-dpi resolutions assets you are using now. There wouldn't be any extra pixels for higher res artwork to take advantage of to begin with.

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

No offence but I an going to withhold judgement until Wednesday.

terryblyth

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Walton-on-Thames, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

0x000000 said:
It was rumored that Apple will release an iPhone 4S, that looks largely similar to the iPhone 4. They wouldn't call it 4S with "S" for "Speed" if it wasn't faster, would they? It makes sense for the device to have the A5 as well.

As for a redesigned iPhone 5: it's Tim Cook's first keynote without Steve Jobs and Apple's most important product – and the next iPhone is already a few months late. Presenting only a boring speed bump despite the significance of the event would neither satisfy customers nor shareholders.

There's been no published release date, it's not late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.