Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
3.5 inch is great and 3.7 inch would be an interesting for me.

However, 4 inch is too big for me.

ashoka8350

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Not so fast!

Do you guys think 3.7" is even good enough?

I don't think a 3.7" would make me drop the iphone4. only a .2" isn't much.

I would much rather prefer a 4". That would be a instant sell in my mind

1. May be the smaller screen is for the cheaper iPhone 4S where you prepay and may not have the the 2-3 year Contract. This may bring the price down.

2. The real iPhone 5 may have the larger iPhone! for the rest of us !!

You never know till it is released !!

karlth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Anything smaller than a 13" screen on the iPhone will be a disappointment.

I want people to cower in fear when I answer the phone.

BigIssueMan

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
No offence but I an going to withhold judgement until Wednesday.

well im hoping by the end of today atleast one gutsy journalist that has recieved an invite announces it without worrying about the possible wrath of apple for not complying with their demands - i.e being uninvited from the event.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Is it just me that thinks there needs to be some radical change to the iPhone before long.

It's just getting boring now, they seem too frightened to change anything too much or offer anything different.

Same old Same old with this years little tweaks. How many more years can they go on tweaking basically the very 1st iPhone?

Apple: Grow some balls, get some fire in your belly and produce something NEW.

I think my cat is bored a lot, too. He seems to sleep like 16 hours a day.

BigIssueMan

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
Surely there must be nerds on here with mates or even links to other nerds within apple who must know something concrete regarding this "drug" which has made millions of addicts high even to eat, sleep, think and breathe iphone 5 since the release of the iphone 4??? come on you nerds, get to work and give us some information.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
In my opinion the 3,5" screen is just perfect.

That's right, even though I prefer a 3.7"-3.8"; anything larger than that sucks, it's a phone if you need something bigger get an iPad.

Last edited:

LobsterDK

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
depends on the eye of the beholder, thx god :p

widgets would be a start, its quiet embarrassing if someone asks u for the weather and u have to unlock ur phone, enter the passcode, tap the icon, open the app and look while my 5 year old nokia was able to do it from one look at the screen

iOS 5 actually has widgets.. weather and stocks to be specific (on the notification pulldown at least, not on the lock screen yet). The API for it just isn't public yet. I expect the widgets API to be made a public API once it's fully baked. That is a common occurance for Apple.

Last edited:

hsnhrth11

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
It has to be 4 inch +

Now I didn't read all replies but I personally think the screen has to be bigger for 1 reason which is gestures. A new gesture in iOS 5 will allow you to close an app without using the home button by pinching 3-5 fingers and so it may be easy on an iPad but it's not the most comfortable on an iPhone

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Personally coming from a Samsung Vibrant than a Nexus S... 4" isn't too big. And the 480x800 pixel density wasn't necessarily bad either... I doubt 960x640 will look pixelated on a 4" screen.

But 3.7 is the sweet spot, as I also had a Nexus One. I'd take either. Bring it, Apple.

Maybe 3.8? ;)

The 0.2" bump would make buttons a decent bit easier to tap.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Hmm...

I'm pretty sure there was nothing like the iPhone before Steve Jobs showed it off. Yes, there were smartphones w/ Internet and video, but nothing like the iPhone.

I'm confident there was nothing like the MBA before Steve Jobs unveiled it. Yes, there were sub-notebooks and netbooks, but the MBA was a completely new rethink. It even had a custom Intel chip, not the hammertoed ATOM.

I could get into the iPad and tabs, but you know the history there, and my point is made -- it's silly to claim Apple doesn't innovate when the entire CES industry does nothing but chase Apple's tail.

I fail to see how a bigger screen is new and innovative, but I do know that capitalism demands change so you don't have to worry about Apple reseting on it's laurels. Too many people want a piece of the Apple.

How stupid are the people at digitimes if they believed that "leak" ? :eek:

You must not be that familiar with Digitimes. They are like the National Enquirer of the tech world. Most of the stuff they print is to get attention, much like "Martians make stealth midnight landing at LA Colosseum, Infrared cameras suggest". Pure entertainment.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Mmmmm mmmmm

I'm just loving the excitement of not knowing! ... Haven't had this feeling in years, nobody had got a clue... Ace!!!

LobsterDK

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's been no published release date, it's not late.

Why do people feel the need to say pedantic ******** like this? Don't be obtuse. You know exactly what he means. It's late given Apple's release schedule for the prior 4 generations, and everyone's (including carriers) initial expectations.

Last edited:

dixido

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
If Digitimes actually believed in that Swiss website leak they are obviously high and this rumor should be regarded as complete non-sense!

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Is it just me that thinks there needs to be some radical change to the iPhone before long.

It's just getting boring now, they seem too frightened to change anything too much or offer anything different.

Same old Same old with this years little tweaks. How many more years can they go on tweaking basically the very 1st iPhone?

As someone who broke their uninsured iPhone and is putting up with a cheap Android until the '5' comes out, let me tell you... THERE IS NOTHING BORING ABOUT A iPHONE!!

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007

They can't. If they change anything on the iphone they'll get sued by Samsung for stealing their design ideas.
From now on, every smartphone must look the same as it ever has so that the competition won't sue for design infringement.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
What the heck. I will pretty ticked if the iPhone 5 doesn't have a bigger screen.

My Infuse 4G spoils me with goodness (check my sig), and my iPhone looks so small in comparison.

If the iPhone's size stays the same, I will highly consider the Nexus Prime when it's out.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Today the iPhone 4 TV adds have started to surface once again a premonition of something fast approaching.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
As a Android user 4 inches is a perfect size. My wife has the galaxy S and has never complained about the 4 inch screen size and I have a Droid X and 4.3 is still manageable even with a case. A 0.2 inch jump from 3.5 is a waste of time; the original droid had a 3.7 inch display and that was 2 years ago. Apple should have upgraded the screen last year when they did the resolution jump. Now they can't jump up the resolution because your going to have 3 resolutions to worry about. And with true 1280x720 res 4.3 to 4.5 inch displays coming from HTC and Samsung Apple is going to take a beating from the hardcore crowd.
At least women and guys with small hands and 20/20 vision will love a 3.7 inch display. I could never go below 4 inches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.