Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W1246

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
So they do exist. Good to know. It seems that that factory and week dont mean much as others with same week and factory have the issue.

So its sensor roulette :)

Not with the drifting :(

Drift-rules-Drift-competition.jpg

BreeeZe

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
the Netherlands
I'm trying to find a teardown that shows what accelerometer the 5c is using but not having much luck. Ifixit doesn't seem to show it.

5s teardown from chipworks :
http://www.chipworks.com/components/com_wordpress/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/discreet-mems1.jpg
The "B329" is the gyro, "361LP" is the accelerometer

This is the 5c motherboard picture from ifixit:
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/lnGGYTImje2ZjLkW.huge
left top of the toshiba memory, looks like the same "B329" but a different accelerometer : "235LP"

califlorida

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
48 hours later 2nd replacement phone still showing -1degrees and compass is calibrating with full bar by doing 1 full rotation of phone. (Other 2 phones would take several rotations and circle was only filling half way.) So no drifting as of yet.

I'm still not convinced this replacement is perfect because -1degrees still shows off on Side-Leveling and Star Walk/Other Apps.

Much better than the previous 2 64GB 5s phones though. (-3 & -5 degrees)

What's the procedure for telling factory/batch from the serial? Let me know and I'll report back.

KSean

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
48 hours later 2nd replacement phone still showing -1degrees and compass is calibrating with full bar by doing 1 full rotation of phone. (Other 2 phones would take several rotations and circle was only filling half way.) So no drifting as of yet.

I'm still not convinced this replacement is perfect because -1degrees still shows off on Side-Leveling and Star Walk/Other Apps.

Much better than the previous 2 64GB 5s phones though. (-3 & -5 degrees)

What's the procedure for telling factory/batch from the serial? Let me know and I'll report back.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My wife has my 5S now (I bought an HTC ONE Verizon model last week, after being unable to find another 5S), and her 5s is off 1* when using the table top level. It doesn't sound like much, but the phone has to be raised quite a bit along its length to bring it to zero, which isn't really zero! Hopefully they get the ipads right.... :rolleyes:

SharpFR

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
5S week 35 Foxconn : 4 degrees flat -3 on long side

Replaced by

5S week 36 C3 : 4 degrees flat -3 on long side. Exactly the same !

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Nice Name: iPhone 5s
Colour: Space Gray
Production year: 2013
Production week: 37 (September)
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: F1 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

-4 Flat, -3 on long edge.

2nd one in the house shows exactly the same.

califlorida

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012

Thanks!

Not sure if this helps or means anything because looks like Phone 2 & 3 were on the same pallet which is what I expected. For some reason one is working much better than the other. **Not sure if this gives more or less hope to it being a software issue.

Original Phone Ordered on Launch Night 12:03
-3 Degrees

Production week: 38 (September)
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

2nd Phone (Even Worse)
-5 Degrees

Production week: 36 (September)
Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

3rd Phone -1 degree

Production week: 36 (September)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Good thing mine is 0 on the short bottom edge so I have not noticed any issues with panorama mode. I did see where a couple of people were having issues in panorama mode. These phones must be off on the short bottom edge. Mine is -3 on long edge and back and has not changed at all since the 20th.

If these phones were like previous models 99% should be 0 instead it looks like 90% are not 0.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
If it is hardware which is looking likley as 3rd party apps are reporting same as native app then they will have to adjust the manufacturing process somehow. By which time people will be beyond the return period and will be recieving re-furbished phones as replacement, not good considering the price tag and the hassle people went through to get them on launch day.

Apart from games/apps which this affects, it is very handy to have a leveler on the go in your pocket. Over the past year I have used this many times both at home and at work.

I have a hard time believing that this is a hardware issue. These things are engineered at a level most of us can't comprehend. It's not like a car engine bay where there's room to move things around. It's a tight fit in there, and I would think that a component being off by as much as 5º or more would make the puzzle not fit together correctly.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I have a hard time believing that this is a hardware issue. These things are engineered at a level most of us can't comprehend. It's not like a car engine bay where there's room to move things around. It's a tight fit in there, and I would think that a component being off by as much as 5º or more would make the puzzle not fit together correctly.

But, what if it's a hardware conflict issue? Not so much as the gyro or accelerometer is mounted "unlevel" as much as one chip somehow interferes with the other. What if the M7 chip is somehow feeding back, or interfering with the three that always feed it data? I'm afraid that it it's that kind of an issue, a software remedy may not work.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Apple Support

I've spoken at length with Apple Support today. They are well aware of the issue although at first they tried to get me to do the 90 minute DND mode thing.

I told them it didn't work for me or anyone else I know (meaning people on here mainly). I also asked if they've ever had to recall iPhones and they said not that they were aware of.

I'm being called by a "senior advisor" tomorrow who should be able to give me some more info as to what is actually going on. I'll be annoyed if they just want to get me to come in and swap the phone, because the replacement will most likely have the same issue!

The support guy said "...since this is an issue we are carefully looking at, I'm going to have to put you in touch with one of my senior advisors." so again sounds like they are very much aware of the issue even if they haven't publicly said anything.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Its possible but mine is a very consistent -3 when laying flat. If I lift it up about 1/4 inch from the home bottom it 0s. On its long edge the same. So IMHO it could be calibrated.

Its like something changed with the calibration on the 5S from the factory. The only thing that is a little perplexing is some of the 0 or 1 devices are drifting a bit for some users.

But, what if it's a hardware conflict issue? Not so much as the gyro or accelerometer is mounted "unlevel" as much as one chip somehow interferes with the other. What if the M7 chip is somehow feeding back, or interfering with the three that always feed it data? I'm afraid that it it's that kind of an issue, a software remedy may not work.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Yea I have another one calling me tomorrow to discuss this again. He mentioned in the email about a swap. Im going to tell him to hold off on the swap.

Its a shame that 99% of people with a 5S could care less, know, or even use this feature. People like us are very familiar with the quality of Apple products and how they work and even if this does not affect everyday use for us we still don't want a down grade from he last model.

I have a feeling if Apple does not correct or acknowledge this people that play games etc will eventually start noticing this more and more. I just hope Apple doesn't try to remedy the issue by forcing developers to have in app calibrations as that is not a resolution.

I've spoken at length with Apple Support today. They are well aware of the issue although at first they tried to get me to do the 90 minute DND mode thing.

I told them it didn't work for me or anyone else I know (meaning people on here mainly). I also asked if they've ever had to recall iPhones and they said not that they were aware of.

I'm being called by a "senior advisor" tomorrow who should be able to give me some more info as to what is actually going on. I'll be annoyed if they just want to get me to come in and swap the phone, because the replacement will most likely have the same issue!

The support guy said "...since this is an issue we are carefully looking at, I'm going to have to put you in touch with one of my senior advisors." so again sounds like they are very much aware of the issue even if they haven't publicly said anything.

ThereGoesJB

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
grey 5s, ordered on day 1, not first thing but later in the day.

laying flat is off -4
on long side is off -3

I called apple tech support and the guy assured me that being off 5 degrees is normal. which i prob should have put up more of a stink but i didnt feel dealing with it any more. I mean anything over 1 degree off and its basically useless.
what a bummer.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

In Australia we just got more shipments of stock in today at the Apple Stores and I was thinking of picking up a 5S today - do you think this issue may have been resolved by now or would there be no point in trying to get one now without this issue?

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
Nice Name: iPhone 5s
Machine Model: iPhone6,1
Family name: A1533
Model Number: ME311
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation:
CPU speed: 1.3GHz
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Space Gray
Production week: 35 (September)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 64GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: C3 (China)

off by -2 to -4

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Most likely not but you can try.
Hey guys,

In Australia we just got more shipments of stock in today at the Apple Stores and I was thinking of picking up a 5S today - do you think this issue may have been resolved by now or would there be no point in trying to get one now without this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.