Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
But if app devs can compensate for the bias on an per app basis, makes sense that apple can on a system wide basis too.

The good news is that a large component of the bias error in the accelerometer doesn’t change. Thus it is possible to work around the problem by incorporating a calibration procedure into apps...

Sounds like they'll only partially be able to compensate for it with software...

Which means I'll return the 5S. Boo!

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I am going to sit this out and enjoy my phone. I don't play games, so that part doesn't affect me personally. I never use the compass, and panorama pictures work fine. The screen rotates as it should and the phone is perfect otherwise. If it weren't for this thread, I, like a lot of others, probably would never have noticed. I am sure it will be a software fix, but if it turns out to be hardware and we all have to exchange our phones, then so be it.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I thought Apple would had acknowledged this by now. Since they have not, I don't expect them to.

I'm not surprised a bit. They're a corporation with shareholders to please. Most people haven't noticed this. It doesn't affect the user experience of most users. Most of those whose experience is affected have been told that it's a software fix that is forthcoming. Apple would be DUMB to issue some kind of press release, prompting thousands of returns over something that will be fixed in a relatively short amount of time.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Having in my possession a good 5S, I can say that this issue has a lot to do with bad factory calibration. Knowing Apple, who has never provided any calibration tools for their screens (we all know it's a long-awaited and needed feature), I don't think we'll see any software related fix for this problem.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if they prove me wrong though.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
If there was an "easy" software fix, Apple would have fixed it by 7.0.1, i am sure they didnt need to see macrumors 70 page long thread to get wind of something being wrong.

I am confident a software fix will come in the long run but my feeling is at worst case scenario apple will ask/make it mandatory for app developers (apps which require gyro/accelerometers) to include re-calibration tools at the setup of the apps.

There is no way Tim Cook will "recall" their gorgeous iPhone5s and tarnish his already fragile leadership reputation at Apple.

It is easy.

I would bet they are being cautious, as they should be. They'd be fools to rush a fix, hardware or software, and have it not properly and fully resolve the issue.

TurtleTomato

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
I spoke with an employee at the Genius Bar who said the issue was brought up at a staff meeting and every 5s in the store had the same calibration problem. Looks like I'll be returning the phone if there's no fix before my return period is over. Also, has anyone seen a photo of a 5s with no sensor issues? Or the tooth fairy or any talking m&m's...

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I thought Apple would had acknowledged this by now. Since they have not, I don't expect them to.

I agree. If this was purely a software issue, then they might acknowledge and quickly issue an update like they do with security issues. They wouldn't get flack for that because software coding usually has errors and no one would give them too much grief. However, when it is a hardware issue and the lack of calibration of the new piece of hardware, and Apple were to acknowledge it, they would appear to be a hapless company with no QC or poor engineering. The media would nail them. It would be like an automaker admitting sending their cars out to customers without ever testing the brakes before they left the factory, and worse, never tested by R&D. Right now, that is exactly what Apple did.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I spoke with an employee at the Genius Bar who said the issue was brought up at a staff meeting and every 5s in the store had the same calibration problem. Looks like I'll be returning the phone if there's no fix before my return period is over. Also, has anyone seen a photo of a 5s with no sensor issues? Or the tooth fairy or any talking m&m's...
Mine is fine. No fairies involved:p

elizacat

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
I went into the Apple store in Brighton UK today to get a case and while I was there speaking to the sales guy I calibrated the compass (My apartment is a basement and i don't need a spirit level to know its not level!) anyway it was 2 degrees out, and he insisted on speaking to a genius about it. I did mention it was all over the forums and tons of people had the issue anyway he came back and said that they are aware of it and an update would be released soon to fix it.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I have a question. Regardless of the 14 day period from Apple, if in a few weeks there hasn't been a software fix am I right to think that you could still go to an Apple Store and request an exchange? A few people now are saying they're getting phones that are right so I imagine eventually exchange/replacement units will also be right (as Apple may make subtle manufacturing changes to prevent this error but would never tell us). Obviously it wouldn't be brand new but a refurbished unit that looks/works like new in a month or two seems better to me than constant exchanges now while we don't really know what's happening. At the end of the day you get a 1 year warranty which covers hardware. If your phone is led on its side and is off by 5 degrees then it's faulty and you're entitled a repair/replacement.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I have a question. Regardless of the 14 day period from Apple, if in a few weeks there hasn't been a software fix am I right to think that you could still go to an Apple Store and request an exchange? A few people now are saying they're getting phones that are right so I imagine eventually exchange/replacement units will also be right (as Apple may make subtle manufacturing changes to prevent this error but would never tell us). Obviously it wouldn't be brand new but a refurbished unit that looks/works like new in a month or two seems better to me than constant exchanges now while we don't really know what's happening. At the end of the day you get a 1 year warranty which covers hardware. If your phone is led on its side and is off by 5 degrees then it's faulty and you're entitled a repair/replacement.

That's what your 1 year warranty is for. If anything goes wrong with your device then take it to the Apple store or phone up Applecare and they'll replace your device.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013

you're right but our replacements will be refurbished ones... BOOOOO!!!!!!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
you're right but our replacements will be refurbished ones... BOOOOO!!!!!!

I don't see anything wrong with refurbished phones. Yes, it's not brand new but why should you get a brand new phone if you've been using it for a few weeks/months? Anyway, those refurbished phones could fool me...they look brand new. I believe the screen/casing are brand new but the internals are the parts that are re-used except of course the battery which is also brand new.

IFraGI

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
France
As i said in my previous posts, i got a replacement in a white box a new one and not refurb, and it is now perfect zero level as it should have been since the beginning. I compared it to a level and iphone 4s no difference it s right for one week and no drift. I have a pic with the old one at -3. Now have to make pics to show you, not all 5s have this issues but most have .....

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA
Regardless of the 14 day period from Apple, if in a few weeks there hasn't been a software fix am I right to think that you could still go to an Apple Store and request an exchange?

You can request it all you want. But Apple could take the position that "+/- 5 degrees is normal operation" and refuse an exchange because your device is "within tolerances" (because, after all, THEY specify the acceptable tolerances for their product). Or, they could decide to just keep telling people "the problem is software, an update will be coming eventually, so our policy is not to exchange for compass/level errors."

So if the inaccurate orientation is a "deal-breaker" for you, and you are within the 14 days, the safest route would be a return. Of course that assumes there is some other phone out there that has the feature set you need and doesn't have any "deal-breaker" malfunctions of its own.

Personally, I am keeping mine. The orientation problem IS a big issue for me (particularly in astronomy apps), but I like everything else about the phone. And I expect there will be some sort of resolution -- if not from Apple, then from app developers who will start adding their own calibration routines to apps that need it. I would prefer a fix from Apple, rather than having to calibrate every individual app using multiple developers' procedures, but if Apple doesn't step up then I expect developers will.

Of course with the exception of the few folks here that have time-travelled to the future and returned, nobody knows how this will play out.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I'd take a working refurb device over a broken new device any day, as long as the refurb still had a warranty.

SPoon222222

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Interesting read...check out the articles.

http://www.technologytell.com/apple/125063/supplier-could-be-to-blame-for-iphone-5s-accelerometer-problems/

http://www.cultofmac.com/250011/the-real-culprit-of-the-iphone-5s-wonky-levels-is-a-new-accelerometer/

Last edited:

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA

Supplier to blame? I don't think so. I have read the data sheet for the Bosch sensor, and it appears to be functioning exactly as advertised - which includes a pretty low resolution and pretty high bias, which coincidentally corresponds to the 3-5 degree orientation error many 5s owners are seeing.

I admit we don't have all the data yet, so it is possible there is some malfunction at the component level that could be blamed on the supplier. But the information so far suggests that the component is functioning exactly as Bosch says it should. That places any " blame" on the engineers that selected the component, not those who made it.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Someone on another forum I frequent said the math in that article was off and that a 95mg bias should only be off by at most 2 degrees.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
For Apple it will be much easier to fix (err, coverup) if they required developers to include calibration in their apps that require the use of the gyro, etc. As far as Apple's own camera app, it would be easier to just turn off the code that uses the gyro. When it comes to actual pictures it takes, what you see on screen is what you get. Same with Pano.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.