Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
well since the 5s is in such short supply, I guess the 5c is selling well too to hit this kind of number. I know that I really like my 5c :) and another family member likes their 5s!!

They are selling over 3 times more 5S as 5C.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Surely, if you are going to compare the sales of the 5S and 5C, you should compare it to the last year sales of the 5 AND the 4S (same internal relation as the 5S & 5C have).

Also, how many of that 9 million are 5C's and 5S'?

Who cares. Let's just celebrate the rise of AAPL. :p

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
The only thing that bugs me about hte 5s is the lack of a bigger screen. I hope the iPhone 6 will come in both 4 inch and possibly 4,5 or 5 inch screen sizes, that would really make me upgrade from my 4s

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
So, in one weekend they pretty much got to half of total galaxy s4 sales. Not bad apple!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
By comparison, Samsung shipped 10 million Galaxy S4 phones in their first 28 days of availability. But of course, the iPhone is stale and just a rehash of last years model ya know.... :rolleyes::cool:

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I wonder how many phones are actually in hand?

Given that the vast majority probably haven't shipped or even are in Country should they really be counted as sold or rather pre-ordered? Or if they are considered sold, shouldn't they say they were sold between launch and end of October when credit cards are charged and items ship?

Just playing Devils advocate, that is, this is just another twist on the sold v shipped arguments. Shouldn't they announce 9m of combined sales and commitments made? They are sold when they are paid for and shipped, surely?

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
It's clear that both phones sold well. They sold every iPhone 5S available and had ample supply of 5C to meet all the apparently strong demand.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
So no breakdown between the two models?
While I'm pretty sure the 5s was in greater demand than the 5c, I think that the 5c sales shouldn't be compard to the 5s sales, but to the 4s sales at the time of the iPhone 5 announcement.

Don't forget that the 5c is an old phone, just in new casing. It should be compared to any sales bump of a former generation model when a new one was announced. I wonder if Apple even had any to speak of in the past? I bet they do now.

It's easy to forget this. And that it's easy to forget suggests that it's a successful strategy by Apple.

If the stock jumps at these news alone, pay attention to the further stock jump in the future thanks to the 5c sales bump that didn't even exist before as a synergy effect from a new model (the 5s), with better profit margins to boot...

From Apple's perspective, a successful strategy here bodes well for future numbers as they look back.

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Woah can't imagine how many units will be sold next year.

Would be nice to have the 5C design on the 6. But maybe a curved aluminum back

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Regarding breakdown. This earlier article at Fortune
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/09/23/apple-iphone-sales-localytics/?source=yahoo_quote

indicated the global ratios of activated iPhones as of last night was ~3.5:1 for the 5S versus 5C.

for 9M phones this translates to 7 Million 5S and 2 Million 5C sold.
So the question of the day is how many 4S phones were sold on the 5 launch weekend?

4S on the first iPhone 5 launch weekend + the China iPhone 5 launch weekend.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
And if they would be able to produce enough and launch it in all the countries it would have been the most epic sales number in history. But...no :(

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
I hope they sold more 5cs. Profit margin is higher on 5c (much higher if lot of 5c orders included case).

Flip side if all major countries were included on initial launch day, next quarter will take a hit.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
i would love to see the look on the faces of haters
:):apple:

The thing is, they'll never give you the satisfaction. They'll ignore their comments last week, and instead keep attacking, some nonsense like 'TouchID broken by people taking a mold of someone's finger'.

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Apple has always had pretty good sales when the new product is launched. However, I guess the longevity matters the most in this case. I'm not interested how much the launch sales are, I'm interested how much the phone will sell next year when owners with previous iPhone models and Apple followers have bought their phones.

iPhone surely continues to be success, but if I've understood correctly, Apple is losing market share quite fast especially in Europe. Yes, they make profit anyway, but in losing too much market share to Android isn't good in longer run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.