Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoungHov718

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
So, your saying they were behind before this launch. Well, lets take your theory. The 5c is the 5 with color case and maybe a few tweaks to make it marginally better then last years 5. The 5s, what did you guys get. A better flash, A7 (64 bit), dedicated Motion Chip, a 15% better camera and Touch ID sensor. Everyone can get or got iOS 7.

I am not sure they really are back in front. They still lack the large screen iPhone that the others are selling and that loyal iPhone users are requesting and have been for a few years now. Where is NFC? Still not in the iPhone. iOS7 is still iOS. So, they gave you a new "Control Center" and they refreshed the looks of their Icons. But, what really is innovating about the OS that has basically been the same since it's original release?

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone 5 and yes, I will probably get the iPhone 5s...maybe, if I can get enough for my iPhone 5 to cover the cost for the upgrade. But I don't agree that it's on top again. Still lacks where others have taken off in and now another year behind them. So, I would say it's still a neck and neck race to who has the best smart phone on the market.

Who needs NFC??? NFC doesnt sell phones.. People didnt go out and buy a htc one or gs4 because it has nfc lol

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
So no breakdown between the two models?

You might have to wait for the earnings call or a potential iPad/Mac event for that one. But the key point here for all of the iPhone 5C detractors is: one iPhone sells 5 million, two iPhones sells 9 million. Great product segmentation decision.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
New record for weekend sales? I wonder if this record would hold if we were able to pre-order the 5S. Surely that would bring opening weekend numbers down, no?

No. Pre-orders have always been counted as the opening weekend sales, so long as they ship by then (credit cards only get charged once a phone is shipped, which turns a pre-order into a sale).

Hey is there an easy way to find out if someone already answered a post on MacRumors? I figured someone would have already pointed out Kendo's error, but didn't want to go through more than a couple of pages of posts looking for prior art...

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
They didn't almost double. At least 7 million vs 9 million.

The article said 5 million from last year. Of course they are counting the 5c this year but they didn't break down the numbers. Where are you getting the 7 million number from? Is that from the 5, 4S and 4 last year's first weekend?

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Heads should roll

Imagine, advertising an old product and then producing them in such low numbers that you sell out. Consumers lining up, walking away in disgust or walking away with nothing because the stores don't have the product or not enough. Great, Great marketing genius at work here. NOT.....what *******s.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You might have to wait for the earnings call or a potential iPad/Mac event for that one. But the key point here for all of the iPhone 5C detractors is: one iPhone sells 5 million, two iPhones sells 9 million. Great product segmentation decision.

no, 2 iPhones sell at least 7 million, 2 iPhones sell 9 million.

----------

The article said 5 million from last year. Of course they are counting the 5c this year but they didn't break down the numbers. Where are you getting the 7 million number from? Is that from the 5, 4S and 4 last year's first weekend?

China launched separately @ 2 million last year

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
That's astonishing how wrong the analysts were:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo...int-potentially-significantly-at-3-4-million/

In the positive camp are Gene Munster at Piper Jaffray who is expecting 5 to 6 million iPhones to be sold the first weekend and Brian Marshall at ISI who is projecting about 6 million. In the concerned camp is Keith Bachman at BMO who believes that shipments for the 5s and 5c will be far lower than the 6 million unit demand (5 million that were sold and 1 million that were not able to be shipped) that the iPhone 5 experienced.

if Apple can’t make enough to have units in stores or be available on Internet sites to be shipped in the first few days it would not surprise me to see the company announce on Monday sales below last years 5 million plus for the iPhone 5 and come in around 3 to 4 million.

Seriously, if your job is an analyst working at a professional firm observing Apple all day for years, how can you miss the estimate by that much? Whatever happened the famous supplier check and other inside knowledge?

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The 5 million release last year only included iPhone 5. That said, it seems unlikely that 4 million iPhone 4S models sold last year during launch weekend. A 6 million / 3 million split (or even a 7 million / 2 million split) between 5S /5C indicates that Apple's strategy appears to be working. And I doubt Apple cares whether it sells a customer a 5C or a 5S as long as they are buying iPhone.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
no, 2 iPhones sell at least 7 million, 2 iPhones sell 9 million.

----------

China launched separately @ 2 million.

:D Sooo... How does that change how many shipped opening weekend last year? :rolleyes:

Opening weekend sales have been constrained by supply, not demand.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Imagine, advertising an old product and then producing them in such low numbers that you sell out. Consumers lining up, walking away in disgust or walking away with nothing because the stores don't have the product or not enough. Great, Great marketing genius at work here. NOT.....what *******s.

Where did this happen?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
So, your saying they were behind before this launch. Well, lets take your theory. The 5c is the 5 with color case and maybe a few tweaks to make it marginally better then last years 5. The 5s, what did you guys get. A better flash, A7 (64 bit), dedicated Motion Chip, a 15% better camera and Touch ID sensor. Everyone can get or got iOS 7.

I am not sure they really are back in front. They still lack the large screen iPhone that the others are selling and that loyal iPhone users are requesting and have been for a few years now. Where is NFC? Still not in the iPhone. iOS7 is still iOS. So, they gave you a new "Control Center" and they refreshed the looks of their Icons. But, what really is innovating about the OS that has basically been the same since it's original release?

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone 5 and yes, I will probably get the iPhone 5s...maybe, if I can get enough for my iPhone 5 to cover the cost for the upgrade. But I don't agree that it's on top again. Still lacks where others have taken off in and now another year behind them. So, I would say it's still a neck and neck race to who has the best smart phone on the market.

Some of us "loyal iPhone users" don't want a bigger screen if it makes our phone appreciably larger. I would be happy for a slightly larger screen if the phone stayed really close to its current form factor, but no thanks if it turns into the ugly monstrosity that is a Galaxy S4. I'm carrying an S4 for a work project right now, and yuck.

As far as NFC is concerned, it doesn't seem to be the "next big thing" after all:

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/1...ment-for-google-wallet-ios-app-now-available/

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
i don't get how this is news, when 60% of iPhone users (probably 80%+ iPhone 4S and 50%+ iPhone 5 users) are just upgrading "in contract" i would say the bigger question is why is it ONLY nine million ?

(Personally im in the whole number cycle, on a 5, and skipping to the 6 with my contract upgrade next year)

You honestly believe 50% of users upgrade out of contract?

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I'd like to see the breakdown. They're covering up 5S with 5C :D

So does everyone, but Apple won't reveal. That would completely destroy their vague "best iPhone launch" by allowing everyone to do a real apples-to-apples comparison of sales (pun intended).

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I wonder how many phones are actually in hand?

Given that the vast majority probably haven't shipped or even are in Country should they really be counted as sold or rather pre-ordered? Or if they are considered sold, shouldn't they say they were sold between launch and end of October when credit cards are charged and items ship?

Just playing Devils advocate, that is, this is just another twist on the sold v shipped arguments. Shouldn't they announce 9m of combined sales and commitments made? They are sold when they are paid for and shipped, surely?

Very good point. They may only have sold 1m units with 8m now on backorder. Not quite the same although technically they've 'sold' 9m.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Bahahah :D

"The iPhone 5 sold 6M units over its first 10 days last year - a number Bachman doesn't think Apple will be able to match with this year's launch thanks to the lack of enthusiasm for the 5C and fewer selling days until a press release. He sees downside risk to his September quarter estimate of 31M units sold."

Wonder how many they would have sold without the constraints of Silver and Gold.

Need bronze iPhones next year. :p

kdarling

macrumors P6
By comparison, Samsung shipped 10 million Galaxy S4 phones in their first 28 days of availability. But of course, the iPhone is stale and just a rehash of last years model ya know.... :rolleyes::cool:

Of course, Apple also counts SHIPMENTS in their sales announcements. The seven million (see below) iPhone 5S sold include the millions sold and still being shipped to carriers and other retailers.

Also, if you want to count both the iPhone 5S and 5C together, then you'll also want to count the Galaxy S4, S3, Note 3 and Note 2 together.

Regarding breakdown. This earlier article at Fortune http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/09/23/apple-iphone-sales-localytics/?source=yahoo_quote

indicated the global ratios of activated iPhones as of last night was ~3.5:1 for the 5S versus 5C.

Yes, apparently store exit polls are indicating that the lines are mostly for buying the top-of-the-line iPhone 5S, not the 5C.

for 9M phones this translates to 7 Million 5S and 2 Million 5C sold.

So the question of the day is how many 4S phones were sold on the 5 launch weekend?

You bring up an interesting comparison, which is confused this year by hiding the old model in a new plastic case, and by the lack of presales for the 5S.

For example, last year, the iPhone 5 got two million presales in a day. Those presales were NOT counted in the first weekend sales figures, because they haven't been delivered yet.

Apple is smart. By not having a presale this year, they got people to line up and buy from the stores, which means more sales that can be announced right away, instead of being a not-delivered-yet count purgatory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.