Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Wait a minute, I was just reading this forum last week and everyone said Apple had failed and all shareholders would be selling their stock immediately.

What happened?

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Okay so the 9 M total is combined with both, and not just the 5S. So really I don't think it nearly doubled from last year. Probably 7 M for 5S and 2 M for 5C?

If the other article that found the 5S sold 3.4x better than the 5C, then you're numbers are close (~2.05 million 5C and ~6.95 million 5S).

synyster11

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
By comparison, Samsung shipped 10 million Galaxy S4 phones in their first 28 days of availability. But of course, the iPhone is stale and just a rehash of last years model ya know.... :rolleyes::cool:

Think of it this way... Imagine how many they would have sold if it had been something a bit more. There are TONS of people like me with a 4S that just went "meh.. I'll wait". People are locked into the eco-system and even if they released the same damn phone in just a different color they would still sell millions just to meet all the contract upgrades. The people that say apple is Doomed are idiots... There are simply WAY too many people locked into iTunes and at this point they could keep selling millions of them by doing pretty much nothing to each new version. I do like the iOS7 though, made my 4S feel like a new phone!!

My point is, they could see insane numbers when they release a phone that makes people say "OMG, I have to have it!!". Not sure if they have anohter one of those phones left in them.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Nope. Apple only counts devices that have shipped on sales to end users for their launch numbers.

No sir. Apple does NOT count shipments to end users UNTIL THEY ARRIVE, but they DO count shipments to retailers the moment they ship.

We go through this every year. Like my post from last year:

Actually, YES those numbers include sales to retailers and carriers. In fact, that's why so many analysts were disappointed. With two more country markets included in the opening weekend than last year, they had expected far better sales.

For example, among others, ISI Group's Brian Marshall noted: "Clarification - recall the 5mil+ iPhone 5 reported sales only takes into consideration: 1) what was sold into partners (e.g., retail outlets, carriers, etc.), 2) sold in AAPL retail stores, and 3) direct to customers only if they signed for the device."

Btw, what do you think of Cook being a Duke fan ?! Go Heels!

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
*Generic good job Apple post*

Good job Apple!

However I would like to see the split of the 5C/5S. Only because I have seen a LOT of 5C's over the last few days.
London btw folks.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Didn't they make it available to more countries than ever though?

I'm a kill-joy I know.

It did, but that really should not be relevant. Apple last year sold 5 million in it's launch weekend, but it could have sold more.

It simply did not have enough inventory. So, the issue concerning the amount of phones Apple sold had to do with Apple's capacity to build the devices quickly enough to sell them not how many countries it was available in.

We all know people are still waiting for phones. So, this means the story is Apple was able to supply an additional 4 million phones in three days and people bought them.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Okay so the 9 M total is combined with both, and not just the 5S. So really I don't think it nearly doubled from last year. Probably 7 M for 5S and 2 M for 5C?

Very unlikely. Apple was selling more 4S's than 5's, so why would the inverse be true with the 5C and 5S?

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
A better question would be, why don't any other competitors have sales numbers like this on opening weekend?

I'm not trying to raise a other competitor vs apple debate however the facts are that other competitors have multiple devices with varying release cycles - and a market for all of them.

If we took all of android activations/day vs all of iOS activations/day the clear winner would be android.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Of course, Apple also counts SHIPMENTS in their sales announcements. The seven million (see below) iPhone 5S sold include the millions sold and still being shipped to carriers and other retailers.

Also, if you want to count both the iPhone 5S and 5C together, then you'll also want to count the Galaxy S4, S3, Note 3 and Note 2 together.

Apple quotes actual sales, not units shipped and always has. And the 5s & 5c are both newly released models, whereas only the S4 was a newly released model for Samsung at that time. So either way, it still took Samsung at least 9x longer to sell the same volume of a new device, so my point still stands.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Think of it this way... Imagine how many they would have sold if it had been something a bit more. There are TONS of people like me with a 4S that just went "meh.. I'll wait".
Clearly there aren't TONS of people like you since they just sold more iPhones than ever before during a launch.

Did you survey 3 people and when they all said "Meh" you assumed this meant everyone felt that way?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
New year, same story.

I love watching the clowns on Wall Street scramble to gather up the shares they dumped just weeks ago on the thought that Apple was done. We aren't even to October yet. Wait until they unleash new iPads, Macs, Mavericks, etc.

To me, the 200 million iOS 7 activations is the most impressive stat here. If you consider that they have sold 700 million iOS devices over the years, that number is incredible. So much for them ruining iOS forever. :rolleyes:

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
"nearly doubles". You have to take into account China.

5+2 million vs. 9 million

Not really. This implies that the demand last year for opening weekend for the iPhone was only 5 million. That simply is not true. The demand was higher. Apple just could not meet the demand. People waited weeks for their phones last year as many wanting the 5S will wait this year. So, the amount of Countries is irrelevant because even had China been included in Apple's opening weekend last year, Apple still would have only sold 5 million. That was all the inventory it had. Apple added China this year because with the 5c it felt it could build an additional 4 million.

So the story is Apple could build and sell and additional 4 million phones in three days. The included countries are irrelevant.

KenOzz

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Lincoln UK
When is it a Sale

They may have sold them but when will we get them,

I ordered at 12.02 am in UK and my delivery date is 10th October

So is that a sale or a order ?

Last edited:

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Because the 4S was still a premium product whose build might still be preferred to the 5, while the 5C is not.

No - because on the launch weekend, sales will skew more likely to the top model due to early adopters. The sales will even out more as time goes on. Assuming the 5C sold 2-3 million models, that matches Apple's average selling total for all iPhones the past year, so there was significant interest in the 5C this weekend.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
considering this year Apple made the initial release available in more countries (11 this year vs 9 last year), you would expect them to sell more phones.

LeoCastillo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Heh.

9 Million.

Now watch as the haters who said "no one is buying the 5c which means it failed" will now say "half of that 9 million is the 5c which means the 5s failed."

Leo

Last edited:

TimCook

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
Australia
Only 9 million?

Good to see the 5C was a fail and that Apple is doomed as all the experts predicted. :rolleyes:

What's the bet apple stocks fall tomorrow...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No - because on the launch weekend, sales will skew more likely to the top model due to early adopters. The sales will even out more as time goes on. Assuming the 5C sold 2-3 million models, that matches Apple's average selling total for all iPhones the past year, so there was significant interest in the 5C this weekend.

But the old model sees a price drop, which makes the people waiting finally order.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
No sir. Apple does NOT count shipments to end users UNTIL THEY ARRIVE, but they DO count shipments to retailers the moment they ship.

Which would be an important distinction if supplies to carriers and retailers weren't constrained.

Btw, what do you think of Cook being a Duke fan ?! Go Heels!

Everyone's got their own flaws. His just happens to be a massive one. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.