Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
i can live with typing my passwords from time to time. what i would find very useful is the fingerprint reader being used to allow user switching on ipads from the lock screen by simply touching the sensor area.

coco67

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
Hi,

No one saw that iPhone 5C and 5S will probably get the same mother board ?

n-apple-iphone-5c-27.jpg

iphone_5s_shell_logic_board_overlay.jpg

Maybe so the same battery ? And which processor ? I heard that ipad mini and latest ipad 2 got an Apple A5 32 mm instead of the old A5 45 mm ?

Can some body tell me if the iphone 4 or 4S got an A5 32 mm or 45 mm ?

Could we expect an A5 32 mm in an iPhone which could have a better battery life than iPhone 4/4S and 5 ?

Thanks

Thinkman12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Don't get me wrong, but…

Am I the only one who thinks the "iPhone 5C" looks like it was designed by Fischer Price?

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Actually, except the screen size, there isn't much of a difference cosmetically between the 4 and the 5.

We must have had different iphones then...

Back: completely redesigned
front: how much can you change a front whose glass takes 90% of the real estate?

----------

Am I the only one who thinks the "iPhone 5C" looks like it was designed by Fischer Price?

Yep

----------

i can live with typing my passwords from time to time. what i would find very useful is the fingerprint reader being used to allow user switching on ipads from the lock screen by simply touching the sensor area.

I would love that too

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Silly season upon us indeed.

Isn't it always silly season here? :D

----------

This is what I envision, and I am excited for it to happen!

The problem with the "get safari make a long password for you" is that its fine when you re visit said webpage on the iphone, but what about when you visit it on your mac, or another system? ICloud or passbook would have your fingerprint linked to the newly made password, but no other system will have a fingerprint sensor (yet), so how do you log on? You'd have to go into the iphone/passbook and find the long p/w to then retype onto the non fingerprint system.

----------

Looks like they were able to shrink the PCB down some more. This probably means the 5S will have a bigger battery, so hopefully much better battery life is in our future.

Well, i haven't got the ruler out, but isn't the difference in size of those PCB areas pretty close? One is more square, one rectangle. I'd say they take up the same area at a guess. Any space found can't give that much more battery, if any.

----------

I'm not sure a fingersensor is such a great idea, although I see the benefits. The main problem is that a fingerprint is a unique and unchangeable identifier---in other words, should someone with nefarious intents 1) Hack your phone and get a copy of your fingerprint, you'll be screwed using this technology for life; 2) Whatever information you intend to secure behind the fingerprint, you could lose it all at once.

The fingerprint sensor might be useful as a second-layer, for those times when you're not at home/a relatively safe place. I'm sure if Apple applies this technology, they will have thought this through. Let's hope for the best. (I still have fingers crossed for IPhone+)

Anyone else thought of the possible problems of superglue? Only last week i was using the stuff to fix something on my MTB. Getting that on your thumb would ruin access to your phone. I know there'll also be an option to unlock via PIN, but then what? You have to rescan your other thumb? Not great when we all have naturally use the same hand to hold the phone/unlock; it would mean a change in handling.

----------

use a different finger?

Well yes, but as i mentioned, if we did a poll here, we all have the phone in a certain pocket so we can take it out with our more dominant hand depending if we're left or right handed. If i had a phone with a fingerprint sensor to unlock i'd use my right thumb. More natural for me. Changing to the left would be strange, but not totally crazy. But a change to unlocking to a finger? Well thats now turned into a 2 handed affair, so totally against Apple case for not having a bigger screen!

----------

With the rumoured fingerprint sensor and the increased protection against theft, maybe an NFC chip will finally sneak inside the 5S, totally secure payments with your bank card details stored on board your phone, could also be a way to differentiate the 5S from the 5C if that has no sensor or NFC...

Would be nice, but being Apple i would bet they'll drag NFC out till the iphone 6! :D

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I guess I'll figure out if I'm going Android on the 10th of September. Why? I WANT A BIG SCREEN!

I don't give a crap about some magic home button and that iOS 7 looks a lot like Android. I want to see the screen on the phone better without have ting to squint sometimes or bring it closer to my face to see the details in a picture.

I'll be going for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra which is over 6 inches big and thinner than this iphone 5.

image_1372299874990.jpg

Sony-Xperia-Z-UltraISO-800.jpg

Sony-Xperia-Z-UltraISO-800-2.jpg

Ricezilla

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2010
I guess I'll figure out if I'm going Android on the 10th of September. Why? I WANT A BIG SCREEN!

I don't give a crap about some magic home button and that iOS 7 looks a lot like Android. I want to see the screen on the phone better without have ting to squint sometimes or bring it closer to my face to see the details in a picture.

I'll be going for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra which is over 6 inches big and thinner than this iphone 5.

The S4 is the perfect size imo. That Xperia is ridiculous, and not in a good way. You're gonna look like an idiot holding that up to your ear.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
No, I'm not kidding. I'll be surprised if this technology would create line-ups in front of Apple stores. Of course you'll have a lot of people stating that they want this, but I don't think that amount is not longer impressive. But time will tell, I'll make a picture of Amsterdam's Apple Store when the new iPhones will be there, see how big the line-ups will be.

A friend and I will be lining up to get one. While I don't care too much about the fingerprint scanner I am really looking forward to the upgrade in performance from my iPhone 4. You have to remember that most people are buying a new phone every 2-3 years and to them the new features include everything that is new in all models between their phone and the new one. Sure, Siri is old hat now, but hey it will be new to me when I get my 5S, even though I do have it on my iPad 4 it still is a feature bump for my mobile phone.

I started by getting the 3G, then the 4, but I also decided to wait for the 5S because my 4 has been working flawlessly despite being a little slow, but I want to shift to the more reliable and refined (and faster) S versions because I want as few issues as possible.

Last point. It would seem that people want new completely ground breaking innovations in every years release. That's just not how things work. The original iPhone was a huge innovation and a game changer for the mobile phone industry, but since then it's just smallish increments in each model. Every company does that with every product because true innovation doesn't just grow on trees and sometimes the hardware has to catch up with the idea before a great innovation can be set in motion.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You can always change your password but when somebody has a copy of your fingerprint...well lets just say thing can get pretty damn nasty.

The chances of my password being hacked or cracked would be much higher than the would-be identity thief somehow getting a hold of my fingerprint, which I feel while possible, is far less likely.

In short, I will take that chance for the convenience afforded.

I think you are just trying to be contrary for the sake of being contrary.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003

yes... we get it. colour isn't "manly"... that's why a blue iphone 5C will come with the words "Crayola" printed on it's back and iOS7 will come with a voucher for tampons or a lulu lemon gift card or some other traditional "non-manly" perk.

Is a Blue WRX made by Fisher Price too?

----------

[/COLOR]

The problem with the "get safari make a long password for you" is that its fine when you re visit said webpage on the iphone, but what about when you visit it on your mac, or another system? ICloud or passbook would have your fingerprint linked to the newly made password, but no other system will have a fingerprint sensor (yet), so how do you log on? You'd have to go into the iphone/passbook and find the long p/w to then retype onto the non fingerprint system.

iCLoud keychain syncs you passwords across devices (even a mac running Mavericks) source. I don't think the finger print ever leaves your device.

Anyone else thought of the possible problems of superglue? Only last week i was using the stuff to fix something on my MTB. Getting that on your thumb would ruin access to your phone. I know there'll also be an option to unlock via PIN, but then what? You have to rescan your other thumb? Not great when we all have naturally use the same hand to hold the phone/unlock; it would mean a change in handling.

Authentec's method doesn't look at the surface layer of skin, it looks past it to the living tissue. if it can do that, it can probably get past some clear super glue (you know, on the extremely remote chance).

Would be nice, but being Apple i would bet they'll drag NFC out till the iphone 6! :D

Apple said NFC wasn't as secure as they would like... not that the thumb print scanner will be included – I think NFC has a security protocol Apple is comfortable with (since it's theirs) to implement it with Passbook.

Last edited:

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003

Most ridiculous comment ever... how have you ever used a phone? Squinting? Come on... the problem may be your eyes, not the phone. 5 inches, I understand (especially as a comic book reader, myself) but over 6? that is a tablet, my friend.

Last edited:

matrix35

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
whatif

Whatif the fingerprint sensor will introduce multi-user iPad interface?

depending on the swipe, the profile is loaded. that would be so awesome and applesque since it just works, no fidgeting with the interface to select user then input the password.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
iphone has the most number of leaks, how can apple be so careless about their privacy, apple has to understand that these leaks completely destroy the excitement and "surprise factor". samsung's also working on their note 3 but there havent been so many leaks and there is still no clear picture of the phone unlike apple's iphone 5s and 5c. apple should work on this, they should stop these leaks.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
have you not taken into consideration the speakers, microphones, plug? There is a lot more down there than just a home button.

They are all cosmetically hidden behind the glass. The screen can go all the way down without any intrusion. It's not like the panel is 5mm or more thick.

If every other phone company can take their screens that low on the bevel, I am sure Apple can do the same without much problem.

----------

no thanks on capacitive button. Capacitive button are part of what I hate about any android phones I try.

It's not just Android phones that have them. Windows phones have them too. The only phone that is out of the ordinary is Apple's

If you really wanted to keep it a button then make it thinner like the GS3 or GS4 button.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
iphone has the most number of leaks, how can apple be so careless about their privacy, apple has to understand that these leaks completely destroy the excitement and "surprise factor". samsung's also working on their note 3 but there havent been so many leaks and there is still no clear picture of the phone unlike apple's iphone 5s and 5c. apple should work on this, they should stop these leaks.

No one cares about the Note 3, please. If people find out before announcement (which they always do, though I believe it is a strategic "leak" on their part) fine, but the new Note will never be "news", not like a new iPhone. It's because of this point that the iPhone leaks early – people WANT to know and there are enough people involved (due to their part quantities) and enough of a reward for those who leak them to guarantee they will in fact continue to leak. The only way to really prevent that is use less people but make smaller quantities to tighten the supply chain. The Note isn't produced in the quantities of an iPhone so the chances (if anyone wanted to take them) are lower – especially since they manufacture their own devices.

Apple had done all it can to lock them down, unless you would rather them take the drug dealer route and have all the employees work in their underwear to make sure no one is taking anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.