Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone 6 Plus

The reason the iPhone 6 is out selling its brother is due to the fact that Apple only manufactured 2 Pluses. Its their tactic of "Create demand with no supply"!:mad:

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Talk about Captain Obvious! You can't buy a Plus, ANYWHERE, and Mushboys claim 6 is outpacing the Plus.

Click bait at best - dumbest headline of the year, more like.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Everyone wants a 6 Plus. Very few people have actually received one. Stores have almost none each day. Preorders are still very much delayed.

If there was any launch inventory, the numbers would look very different.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I stopped in the Apple store today to check out the 6 and 6+. Darn, too big for my pockets. People I see using large phones always seem to have bags (purses, backpack, messenger bags etc) where they keep their phones.

I like the 4S size for it's compactness that fits easily into any clothing. At this point I'd be very happy with a 5S size phone with the power of the 6.

I keep seeing comments like this but I thought the 5s specs out speed wise pretty much the same as the 6 (within 10% or so) in real world usage - but with slightly worse camera and no NFC (that 10 out of 10 people don't even know what it is and you can't even really use it yet anyway). Why not just stay with 5s? Its still being sold.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
It's useless to report this because the 6 plus is sold out in all but a few Apple stores. But then again I changed my mind on the 6 plus once I used both. 4.7" is the right size for a phone.

+1, I returned the 6 plus the next day and kept the 6.

Not that I can't use 6 plus with one hand, it's just uncomfortable to use. the constant stretching annoys me.

----------

Everyone wants a 6 Plus. Very few people have actually received one. Stores have almost none each day. Preorders are still very much delayed.

If there was any launch inventory, the numbers would look very different.

Lol everyone?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I've not seen a 6 plus in the flesh (metal and glass?) yet but having seen how much bigger than the 6 it looks in side by side photos compared to how much bigger the 6 looks to the 5/5s it must be pretty massive.

I compared both and the plus is not significantly larger (about 1/4 of an inch on each side) but does feel huge since i am replacing a 4. Even the 6 feels big; but holding both I didn't see that much of a difference to the point I wouldn't get used to each. For me, the only advantage of a plus is the optical image stabilization, but I am not sure that is worth the extra $100.00. I'd like to see a hands on review by photographers to see if it really makes any difference, especially in low light situations.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
While limited supply of the iPhone 6+, I think most people are going for the 4.7 iPhone. I've been seeing this even before the new iPhones. Seems most want no larger then a 5" screen with a much smaller group wanting a phablet.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Who here has a 14" PC monitor?

Those of us who are old enough will recall the "olden days", when computer monitors of 14" and then (gasp!) 15" in size were the norm (and not widescreen, either).

The same group can reminisce similarly about TV sizes.

The iPhone 6 Plus may initially require some attitudinal adjustment. But it is most certainly the way of the future.

Android phones may have got there first with larger screen sizes, but Apple adds the benefit of an entirely joined up computing and communications eco-system, with unsurpassed usability.

Some may still scoff at the iPhone 6 Plus. But if they lived with it for, say, a month, I've no doubt that almost all would find themselves converted.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
no 6+ availability... what did they expect?

I am still waiting for my iPhone 6 plus and know of a lot of people who got the 6 just because the plus was not available.
How can they run a test like this when the phone is clearly not in stock anywhere.
Some of these tests/surveys are total BS!:rolleyes:

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
While it is true that we won't know for several months how popular the 6+ is versus the 6 for several months, we could get some idea if we knew the ration of Samsung's S5 versus Note 3 sales.

While it won't be exact, it would give us an approximation of smartphone owners who prefer a phablet sized screen.

I finally got to see both the 6 and 6+ yesterday when ordering my wife phone and both looked big to me.

Even so, I must admit that I am slowly warming to the idea of a phablet sized smartphone. While I do not think I would want one for personal use, I could see its benefit for work if I was in a job that required me to be constantly mobile.

If I spent my day moving between multiple work locations, I could see the benefit of being able to communicate on a mini-tablet (answering e-mail, texting, reviewing documents) while on the go.

In my experience, business e-mails and texts tend to contain more information than personal e-mails and texts.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I keep seeing comments like this but I thought the 5s specs out speed wise pretty much the same as the 6 (within 10% or so) in real world usage - but with slightly worse camera and no NFC (that 10 out of 10 people don't even know what it is and you can't even really use it yet anyway). Why not just stay with 5s? Its still being sold.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize the performance difference between the 5S and 6 was marginal. NFC is cool but not a 'must have' for me at this time.

Thinking I may upgrade to the 5S...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize the performance difference between the 5S and 6 was marginal. NFC is cool but not a 'must have' for me at this time.

Thinking I may upgrade to the 5S...

5s is a great phone and with all the 6/6+ issues going on maybe still the best there is. Mine has been perfect for a year now. I have zero reason to upgrade so far.

I'm very disappointed with the 6. I could buy one right now and not even notice the expense. I just don't think it's at all better than the 5s. Maybe worse because it's less weildy. I will probably pick up a Sony Z3compact when it's available though just to play with.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
This is such a flawed article, its meaningless, yet they say this "How much of the difference is due to customer preference versus constrained supplies of the larger model is unknown, however." Therefore, there is no possible way to state what the share of sales is, or what is most popular.

I work for a Telco, our pre orders are 60/40, in favour of the 6Plus. That matches with the chatter on the three forums I go to

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
Pretty much the main reason why I went w/the iPhone 6 instead of the plus is simply because of the size. This phone would be very uncomfortable in my pants pocket and/or might not fit right in my shirt pocket in the office. I'm glad I went with the 6 and not the plus.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
No. It's a smartphone. It isn't near the size of even the smallest tablets.

That depends on how you define a tablet. You can define it on device size. You can also define a tablet based on what you do with it. By that definition an iPod Touch is a tablet too.

----------

I actually don't view it that way. There and millions/billions of unique unsocial customers and only 2-4 models of devices to feasibly produce. It is impossible for Apple to make a device that fits everyone so some "human adaptation" is necessary. I do think, however, Apple made a mistake by not updating the 4" variant since the iPhone was so successful at 4" there is no reason to believe a new 4" device won't be successful.

Apple were never about making devices to fit everyone's needs. They just made what best fit their main customers needs and as much of the market's needs as they could and the rest just missed out. Apple of 1997 to Jobs death never tried to appease all of the market. I feel the Apple of today is trying to have a model of everything for everyone. Totally different approach.

I think the human adaption needs to be balanced with the devices ability to fit into our lives. We need to be open to try new things and the device needs to slot into our lives and fit our needs, and not the other way around.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Not even close. I've been using a 1520 since my 4S keeled over, fits in my normal sized pockets without any issue.
Now if only Apple could make enough of the damn things....

You may be right, but I just don't see it. My 5s is already almost too large and I can't imagine using even the 6, let alone the 6 plus.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
It would only be relevant to run in a few months when supplies start to settle down to determine if this is due to restricted supply or preference....

This

Comparisons right now are pointless. The 6+ has a way longer wait and yet Apple is selling way fewer - that means it's supply constrained. Ppl are waiting for their 6+

Which one is more popular will only become clear once demand can be filled.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
The 6 plus is a little hard to put in your pocket. So I guess it is targeted towards people carrying a purse (or the samsung ads).
The people carrying a purse are going to be more likely to have smaller hands and have a tough time comfortably holding something of that size.

I'll bet if Apple had made the 6 a little thicker and increased the battery life, the 6 would be outselling the 6 Plus even more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.