Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I don't think it's as much that way just yet... apple may choose to differentiate the hardware of the two devices more moving forward, selecting a true "flagship".

Keep in mind the difference between the 5c and the 5s was that you were *actually* comparing what was the internals of a 5 to a 5s. It would be like if Apple repackaged the 5s into a plastic body and introduced it alongside the new 6 (or 6 plus). The actual difference between the 6 and 6 plus is not as great as that of the 5c and the 5s -- which had a clear "flagship" selected at launch.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Flagship?

The iPhone 6 is the sleek cabin cruiser, the iPhone 6 Plus is the Love Bloat.

BJ

jwall

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I think so. To me it was really disappointing that they made the 6 inferior to the 6 plus in terms of specs.

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
Doesn't even make sense, the 5C was basically a 5 in polycarbonate shell. The 5S was actually an improvement.

The 6+ has a bigger display for people who want a phablet and (I guess hasn't been confirmed? I'm not paying attention because I could care less) a 200MHz faster processor as well as OIS. That doesn't really sound like the same difference between the 5S and the 5C, but hey if you need to justify your purchase and have people tell you you bought the best phone ever then whatever floats your boat!

PlusSized

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
The iPhone 6 Plus Sized is the flagship for those of us who are carrying a few extra pounds around.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Both phones seem like they are going to be amazing phones, and both have had good sales. A better analogy is the iPhone 6 Plus is like the Gold iPhone 5s and the 6 is like the White and Space Gray iPhone 5s. The Plus is the new phone on the block, it has had production problems and its the phone people have been asking for. The iPhone 6 is also the phone that people have been wanting, but it didn't have as many production problems.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Both phones seem like they are going to be amazing phones, and both have had good sales. A better analogy is the iPhone 6 Plus is like the Gold iPhone 5s and the 6 is like the White and Space Gray iPhone 5s. The Plus is the new phone on the block, it has had production problems and its the phone people have been asking for. The iPhone 6 is also the phone that people have been wanting, but it didn't have as many production problems.

The Gold 5S takes better pictures, has higher resolution and pixel density, has noticeably longer battery life, and better use of screen space than the other 5S colors?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The Gold 5S takes better pictures, has higher resolution and pixel density, has noticeably longer battery life, and better use of screen space than the other 5S colors?

No, but the iPhone 5c was an iPhone 5 in a plastic case. The 4.7" 6 is not a 5s in a bigger case; it has a better camera, better battery life, better screen, and a newer faster processor.

The 6 is a hardware upgrade compared to the 5s. The 5c isn't to the iPhone 5.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
That makes no sense. The 5c was a repackaged iPhone 5. It was year old hardware. The iPhone 6 has almost identical guts to the 6 Plus. The larger battery is needed to power the larger screen, and they were able to fit a little extra hardware into the camera because of the added thickness. As far as processor and RAM, they're the same. Benchmarks currently coming in are even showing the 6 has a minor speed advantage over the 6 Plus. So to make that comparison and say the 6 has inferior specs is just a really misinformed opinion.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Performance of both looks identical.

Both new iPhones are great, they both use the same generation SOC.

Make your choice on screen size, not specs.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
So is the iPhone 6 this model's iPhone 5C and the 6+ the Flagship?

No, but the iPhone 5c was an iPhone 5 in a plastic case. The 4.7" 6 is not a 5s in a bigger case; it has a better camera, better battery life, better screen, and a newer faster processor.

The 6 is a hardware upgrade compared to the 5s. The 5c isn't to the iPhone 5.

So, the Plus, unlike a different colored model iPhone 5S's, would be a further upgrade on the Six specs save the SoC. I think I understand your point, but your apology is a stretch, i.e., referencing your listed upgrades, the Plus is not a 4.7 in a bigger case.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
6+ is clearly the superior unit. Apple thinks so also and they priced it accordingly.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
So, the Plus, unlike a different colored model iPhone 5S's, would be a further upgrade on the Six specs save the SoC. I think I understand your point, but your apology is a stretch, i.e., referencing your listed upgrades, the Plus is not a 4.7 in a bigger case.

What is that different between the Plus and 4.7" phone? A better camera, bigger screen, better battery and a 200MHz processor bump? Its the same SoC, same technology and everything and even the same design, just smaller.

Also, you read my analogy wrong from the beginning. My analogy is not that the iPhone 6 Plus is a 6 in a bigger case, its that the iPhone 6 Plus is to the iPhone 6 as the Gold 5s was to the other phones. That is: in short supply but high demand.

Before someone goes and calls me a hater on the Plus, I bought one because I think the extra specs are worth the $100. I like taking photos and videos with my iPhone, and I have always wanted a bigger display.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
6+ is clearly the superior unit. Apple thinks so also and they priced it accordingly.

They had to price it $100 more because it's a larger unit hence more expensive. More material, bigger screen and battery, etc. The better specs is the outcome of the larger innards including the ability to include OIS.

Still, it's too similarly spec'd to be considered a flagship over the 4.7" counterpart.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014

They priced it more because it cost more to manufacture. Period.

....and they knew the insecure small weiners would want to over compensate and wouldn't mind paying the premium to do so.

Funny how most of the professional reviews are selecting the 6 as the better overall phone....all things considered.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
Whatever helps you sleep at night. :)

Well technically he's right... bigger and better 1080p display, better battery life, better camera.

Only reason the reviews prefer the 6 are because of size. Not because it is superior to the 6+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.