Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oopsroger

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
It's just ridiculous. They know the benefit. They max out the RAM on MBPs. Yet, this! Totally disgusted. My wallet is ready but I'm seriously considering not to upgrade from 5.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
It's been confirmed multiple times that it's 1GB.

A user reported he had 5 Safari pages open without any refreshing so the RAM may not be as big a deal as some make it to be.

5 tabs is nothing. Try 10 and have other apps open in the background. Then see how 1GB holds up. If the next question is "why would you have all of that going at the same time?" , my question right back would be it's a premium smartphone that is advertised as being "the best" by Tim Cook and it should be able to do that in 2014.

Also, 1GB becomes less and less effective at handling operations as time goes on. Thus making the lifespan of this phone less than it should be

There is no legitimate argument against having 2GB of memory in iPhones and iPads these days. Battery life impact is negligible and it is strictly and solely a cost savings and thus profit increasing move to still use 1GB. Same goes for still keeping the 16GB iPhone but then jumping up to a 64 and then saying its a "deal" for consumers bc it's the same price as what the 32GB used to be. Right....

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
What a BEAST of a battery. YASSSS!!!!

What a BEAST of a size also.

----------

5 tabs is nothing. Try 10 and have other apps open in the background. Then see how 1GB holds up. If the next question is "why would you have all of that going at the same time?" , my question right back would be it's a premium smartphone that is advertised as being "the best" by Tim Cook and it should be able to do that in 2014.

Also, 1GB becomes less and less effective at handling operations as time goes on. Thus making the lifespan of this phone less than it should be

There is no legitimate argument against having 2GB of memory in iPhones and iPads these days. Battery life impact is negligible and it is strictly and solely a cost savings and thus profit increasing move to still use 1GB. Same goes for still keeping the 16GB iPhone but then jumping up to a 64 and then saying its a "deal" for consumers bc it's the same price as what the 32GB used to be. Right....

I think they are saving 2gb for the a model next year. Apple innovation seems to be decreasing steadily

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Some people had 10 open on the 5s without problems. It does depend what you do while you have those 10 tabs open. If you play a FPS and then come back to it, guessing they'll be reload on all phones. BTW, I've looked at people's review of browsers on Androids with much more memories... Nothing to write home about.... BTW, there's also a massive security hole on Android phone browsers right now, massive, hope Android fans like those too cause most won't get a patch for it anytime soon if ever.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla

There's a lot of reasons actually. If you can run 5 tabs of safari no problem as has been reported, there's little reason to add more RAM. Also, when iOS 10 requires even more resources, your iPhone 6 will become obsolete and you will have to upgrade. Apple is a for profit company, and they want your money. So don't tell me there is no reason to include more than 1GB.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Glad they stuck with 1GB. No reason we need any more. Still runs better than any Samsung phone.

You are glad? Glad that your new expensive top of the line smartphone will become obsolete not due to the processor but rather solely due to the fact that Apple put profits ahead of increasing memory to 2GB?

There is absolutely no legitimate argument for keeping 1GB, not even battery life impact.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
You are glad? Glad that your new expensive top of the line smartphone will become obsolete not due to the processor but rather solely due to the fact that Apple put profits ahead of increasing memory to 2GB?

There is absolutely no legitimate argument for keeping 1GB, not even battery life impact.

I've already addressed this in like 5 other posts here so I'm gonna let you catch up... It's funny your main arguments is complaining that Apple make a profit. Hilarious actually.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
It's happening by 2020 in Tesla's GigaFactory. I have faith that Elon isn't building this factory for car batteries only. I bet it will also build batteries of a new technology that, I predict, will come out in the next 2-3 years.

Don't count on it. You're not going to go industrial on a large scale within a few years with a tech that's not even in small devices yet. Not a chance.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
iFixIt has exposed Apple's new A8 processor in their teardown, which reveals the F8164A3PM inscribed on the chip. The second digit in that sequence, 8, corresponds to 8 Gigabits (1 GB) of RAM in Micron's catalog.

We can all see that the THIRD digit from the right is THREE.

This can only be a sign of Half Life 3's confirmed release.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Some people had 10 open on the 5s without problems. It does depend what you do while you have those 10 tabs open. If you play a FPS and then come back to it, guessing they'll be reload on all phones. BTW, I've looked at people's review of browsers on Androids with much more memories... Nothing to write home about.... BTW, there's also a massive security hole on Android phone browsers right now, massive, hope Android fans like those too cause most won't get a patch for anytime soon if ever.

Stop making it an us vs them argument. I didn't bring up android at all. Apple increasing memory to 2GB for all iOS devices has nothing to do with what an android has, rather it has everything to do with increasing multitasking performance for iOS devices

Why do you find it acceptable to be forced to decide between a premium priced iPhone with inferior memory capacity and android?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Am I disappointed in the 1GB of RAM? Yup.

That being said, the iPhone 5S was already pretty speedy. This thing is even faster.

Apple is setting themselves up nicely for a good 6S: Sapphire screen, much faster CPU, 2GB+ RAM, etc.

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007

Bro, you will get torn to shreds for having an intelligent opinion, on these forums.

The horse is officially dead and all the koolaid drinkers drowned it. Poor horse.

I'd call PETA but they also believe 1GB is enough for all eternity. You know, until Apple decides it's not ok.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I've already addressed this in like 5 other posts here so I'm gonna let you catch up... It's funny your main arguments is complaining that Apple make a profit. Hilarious actually.

Actually the main argument was that it is unacceptable to still use 1GB of memory. I then mentioned that anyone who tries to defend Apple with nonsense about how 2GB isn't needed is just blindly defending them when it's solely due to profit and nothing else. I then used another example of what people blindly defend and come up with nonsense justifications when again...it's just a profit maximization move. Sometimes dealing with people who don't understand the big picture is even more frustrating than what the facts being presented are

Who said I am against Apple making a profit and how in god's name did you come to comprehend that as my "main argument" ???

Straw man at it's finest right there

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol... neat

Why do you need more than 1 Gig anyway on a phone ? do any apps today use that much, or will they in the short term ?

I call dibs on that one.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

I have no evidence of that. I'm not GLAD. I just don't care. If you do, that's your thing, though I have to say your obsession with it is kinda bordering on unhealthy. If it puts such a bug up your backside, just don't buy one.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
There's a lot of reasons actually. If you can run 5 tabs of safari no problem as has been reported, there's little reason to add more RAM. Also, when iOS 10 requires even more resources, your iPhone 6 will become obsolete and you will have to upgrade. Apple is a for profit company, and they want your money. So don't tell me there is no reason to include more than 1GB.

iPhone 5 will have more resources than iPhone 6 Plus when iOS11 requires more. iPad 3 had iPad 2 specs with 4x pixels. iPad 2 is running iOS7, how's iPad 3?

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Actually the main argument was that it is unacceptable to still use 1GB of memory. I then mentioned that anyone who tries to defend Apple with nonsense about how 2GB isn't needed is just blindly defending them when it's solely due to profit and nothing else

Who said I am against Apple making a profit and how in god's name did you come to comprehend that as my "main argument" ???

Straw man at it's finest right there

LOL, that was exactly what you said in reply to my post. Why do I need to defend Apple? I really don't care. But you should realize Apple is in the money making business, and for iOS devices, that has ALWAYS been releasing a device that works GREAT with the current iOS release, but not so much with the next. We're on iOS8, this shouldn't be breaking news to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.