Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleIsHopeless

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
Less taste

Yeah, somehow they need to again move towards the much more
harmonious form factor of the iPhone 4. As in, something like this:

It is much better than the mockup. Since iPhone 4 it seems they are all uglier than previous generations and more and more affected by other manufactures getting tasteless. To the extreme, remove the top and bottom, use a whole glass panel, use the headphone jack as speaker hole.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Nice! really hoping it's bezel free. Who cares about putting a tacky plastic case on it.

Just because you don't doesn't mean nobody does.

I have an OtterBox on my iPhone because I'm no stranger to cracked (occasionally shattered) iOS devices--something about an entire side made of glass--and don't want the same thing to happen to something that is both important and expensive. I'm sure case manufacturers, even for highly protective ones, will figure out a way around this. As others have mentioned, there are also some cases now that don't really touch the bezel as is.

...of course, I wouldn't use any of them since I might as well be using the naked phone in that case, but that's just me. :)

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
I personally think the larger one would be too big for me, the existing size fits great in my pockets and hand, too much bigger and I don't think it would feel right. I've used a samsung s4 and it just feels clumsy.

tMac7

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
I really believe they're going to do that bezel-free design.
So they can implement the long-rumored bigger screen but still keep the "one hand controllability".

The mockups look interesting (similar to the beautiful HTC One), but i think Apple will change a little more than the screen size.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
Please no, this is terrible for using a case. My current case has a "rest on table" design, which means that there's a bit of rubber going over the edge and on to the bezel of the phone to protect it from dust scratches when it is put on a table. This also protects the glass further if the phone is dropped. This bezel-less design would force me to use a case which provides insufficient protection, or no case at all. Both of those are unacceptable options as I am a clumsy person and I have had phones break previously due to a lack of protection on the bezels.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
Yesss.... Bezel free. maybe lol

Anyway they current iPhone reminds of the iMac G5 - very very dated now..

Attachments

• IMac_G5_Rev._A_front.jpg
    IMac_G5_Rev._A_front.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 76

guitarguy77

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
Please Apple, don't follow the Droids!!

Why do we want to change something that works for us? Bigger is not always better. I want to be able to hold my phone in one hand. Why does Apple have to follow the Droids and have huge screens?? Let's not sacrifice more screen for a poorer user experience!

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
So the top and bottom doesn't count as "bezel"?

Looks nice though, especially how the 4.7 model looks to be the same size as the 5S.

I still don't get this complaint. You realize the 5/5S is 16:9? Which is the same as all the competition right?

Sorry, but the tall and skinny form factor is an abomination. 16:9 is lame when trying to use the web in landscape mode. I guess it's cool if you're 13 years old and play Angry Birds or watch movies all the time on it? Widen the phone a little.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
I've been using a phone with a 4.7 inch screen, no bezel that's made out of a single piece of aluminum for almost a year now. It's called the HTC One and it's the best phone I've ever owned. I can do much, much more with it than the two iPhones I had previously.

If these mockup's are correct about the next iPhone then it's truly an example of Apple doing nothing but copying everybody else and playing catch up - like they did with so many features they put in IOS 6 and 7. Since the demise of Steve Jobs Apple has just been drifting in a rudderless ship. Hope it's not named the Titanic.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
still no prototype out in the wild hmmmmm:rolleyes:

Better not be same form factor as the fugly 5/5S!

----------

Why do we want to change something that works for us? Bigger is not always better. I want to be able to hold my phone in one hand. Why does Apple have to follow the Droids and have huge screens?? Let's not sacrifice more screen for a poorer user experience!

Me, me, me, me…What are you, a hobbit? Did you see the 5S vs 4.7" mockup comparison?? they're not far off. Stop complaining.

Dresling

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Randers. Denmark
But why?

Someone tell me why this would be a good thing? People would constantly touch the screen unintended. Also it's all a rehashed rumour from between iPhone 4S and 5.

Sigh....

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
don't know how i feel about this one, it looks cool but for people who use a case it could be a problem. which is the majority of people.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
A display that is edge to edge on the sides would definitely get me to upgrade from my iPhone 5. The 5S while a decent phone did not have enough features to make me wanna swap out my iPhone 5 for one.

That seems odd to me... A fingerprint scanner that makes unlocking your phone a breeze and dual flash for much more natural looking nighttime photos weren't enough, but a slightly larger display that might actually make it more difficult to use/hold the phone because it has no bezels would get you to upgrade? Hmm... Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
At last ... the phone Apple will survive with. The past two stop gaps were never enough to make me change up from the iPhone6 .... but I will next time .. tho' doubtless, Ill be wary of waiting for the iPhone 6S .. dammit! :cool:

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
If the screen does go edge-to-edge I'll be interested to see how cases adapt. I can access the entire screen with my case now because of the gap. I suppose they could just make the hotspots for swapping bigger.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Does the MacRumors staff really want a phablet that much? There's a ton of android phablets out there to choose from.

*fingers crossed Apple won't make a phablet*. If Apple do it'll be a mistake. And yes even Apple is not perfect.

LastQuadrant

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
Why do I feel like the same rumors are being recycled? They really need to beef up the phone if they're going to do a design with no bezel. I'm sick of being required to buy a case to keep my phone in good shape. I can handle small dings or scratches but one major drop with all this glass and your phone is f*cked.

That's why Apple is starting to make the sapphire glass. Unfortunately, getting glass to not break under any circumstance we'll encounter is tough. First, it's getting rid of the scratches, and making it not crack with small drops, but it's those major drops (or throwing down purposely or due to anger, or running over with a car) are sometimes almost impossible to prevent.

There are more rumors of Apple using that LiquidTechnology patent they have and one of the engineers mentioned a couple of years ago that to use that technology as a case would take SEVERAL years to do, I'm not holding my breath on them using something other than Aluminum, but Apple did get a patent on a certain carbon fibre mfg process, so they are playing around with different materials.

Yeah, I know what you mean about cases. Now, we kind of NEED them, but hopefully one day we won't or just use them as an identifier.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Sounds good to me! A bigger screen is good but a bigger device is less good. So obviously it's best to reduce the wasted space such as the bezels. Actually a lot of Android phones have smaller bezels and larger screens, so perhaps larger screens make it easier to produce thinner bezels, as there is more space for the battery and all the other stuff behind the screen...?

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
thats... ugly to me. but well, maybe i will change my mind ;)
It's very ugly, yet on the other hand Apple doesn't care about the user opinions, they know they'll sell zillions anyway. Only Apple has that kind of control over their minions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.