Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Does the MacRumors staff really want a phablet that much? There's a ton of android phablets out there to choose from.

*fingers crossed Apple won't make a phablet*. If Apple do it'll be a mistake. And yes even Apple is not perfect.

I have a feeling there will be both. I know I want a larger screen for my iPhone, and judging by some of the comments in this thread alone, there are others who also want a larger screen. At the same time, there are those who do not want a larger screen. I hope Apple appeases both parties and makes two types of phone.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I have a feeling there will be both. I know I want a larger screen for my iPhone, and judging by some of the comments in this thread alone, there are others who also want a larger screen. At the same time, there are those who do not want a larger screen. I hope Apple appeases both parties and makes two types of phone.
You want Apple to make more and more unnecessary SKUs. Thus going down the path of Apple of the 90s. No thanks. Steve put a stop to all of this when he became CEO again. And lets hope Apple don't repeat the mistakes of the past.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
If it is truly bezel free, how could you put a decent case on it without covering up part of the screen??

My thoughts exactly.

I love having a case with a raised edge on the front. I don't have to worry about which way I lay my phone down on the table.

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
You mean, a much larger display without a Bezel and basically the same OS user interface that is not customizable in any way??? Booooorrrringggg. ZzzzZZZzzzz. Can the iPhone be any more boring? The two things that iPhone has over Android: (1) camera/video, (2) apps. That's it. Other than that, it's just a boring phone. No customization whatsoever. You can't even rearrange the apps on the home screen and position them wherever you like. That's just stupid.

I hope Apple comes up with a more customizable phone. Then maybe I'll make the switch back over from Android.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I could definitely get into a larger screen. The only thing I miss about my Nexus phone is the screen size. I just think there has to be some bezel in order for it to be functional.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
You mean, a much larger display without a Bezel and basically the same OS user interface that is not customizable in any way??? Booooorrrringggg. ZzzzZZZzzzz. Can the iPhone be any more boring? The two things that iPhone has over Android: (1) camera/video, (2) apps. That's it. Other than that, it's just a boring phone. No customization whatsoever. You can't even rearrange the apps on the home screen and position them wherever you like. That's just stupid.

I hope Apple comes up with a more customizable phone. Then maybe I'll make the switch back over from Android.

Let's see.
1. Solid build quality unlike the Samsung plastic things
2. No malware
3. Quite customizable.. maybe not as much as Android, but you can change the wallpaper, icon locations, make folders, etc.
4. Get's updated and supported for at least 2 years. Android.. well hope the manufacture releases an update, and pray that your carrier finishes "testing" it before you grow old.
5. No gimmicks and odd features. AirDrop instead of booty bumping people to transfer data, and a useful voice assistant like Siri.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
two sizes (3.5" and 4.7")

release two sizes.

Release one with a 3.5" screen or thereabout. It will be little shorter that the 4 or 4S. Make the screen a little wider for better typing. Make this a luxury phone exclusively off contract (~$1,000), and make it out of high quality materials.

Release a second phone with a 4.7" screen for the masses. spec? who cares.

Yes, I'm serious.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
release two sizes.

Release one with a 3.5" screen or thereabout. It will be little shorter that the 4 or 4S. Make the screen a little wider for better typing. Make this a luxury phone exclusively off contract (~$1,000), and make it out of high quality materials.

Release a second phone with a 4.7" screen for the masses. spec? who cares.

Yes, I'm serious.

iPhone 5s is a luxury phone.. And there is no way they would go back to the old 3.5" screen size. What do you mean luxury materials? Isn't anodized aluminum, glass, or on the iPhone 4/4S stainless steel luxury? Most of the competitors make them out of cheap flimsy plastic... and no, the 5c is not luxury, although for a plastic rear, it is darn solid.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You want Apple to make more and more unnecessary SKUs. Thus going down the path of Apple of the 90s. No thanks. Steve put a stop to all of this when he became CEO again. And lets hope Apple don't repeat the mistakes of the past.

Why is that a problem? They sell 3 models of iPhones now with 2 screen sizes.
They sell the iPhones 5s and 5c with 4 inch screens and they sell the 4s with a 3.5 inch screen.

They could drop the 4s to add the iPhone 6 with a larger screen (4.7 to 5 inch) and still only sell 3 models and two screens sizes just as they do now...........

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Don't really like huge phones, but if the 5.5" is bezel-free, it might not be too huge. That'd make choosing between 4.7 and 5.5 tough.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If they got rid of the physical home button the phone could have a bigger screen and be smaller.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
iPhone 5s is a luxury phone.. And there is no way they would go back to the old 3.5" screen size. What do you mean luxury materials? Isn't anodized aluminum, glass, or on the iPhone 4/4S stainless steel luxury? Most of the competitors make them out of cheap flimsy plastic... and no, the 5c is not luxury, although for a plastic rear, it is darn solid.

anodizing it to a point where the edge will not scuff in normal use.
anodizing it with gold, silver or platinum if possible
be the first with sapphire glass
assemble it in the US of A

I'll be more than happy to pay for luxury.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
My thoughts exactly.

I love having a case with a raised edge on the front. I don't have to worry about which way I lay my phone down on the table.

There's no rule saying raised edges have to cover the sides of the phone. It's extremely simple to avoid doing that. The only reason you don't see many cases like that now is because they there's no reason to make them, and covering the edge requires a lower level of precision.

Apple shouldn't design its phone around third party cases anyway. It would be great if there weren't any cases available for a while. I suspect many would realize they didn't need one.

----------

If they got rid of the physical home button the phone could have a bigger screen and be smaller.

If it weren't for Touch ID, they could make the whole screen click like a mac trackpad. That would actually work better than a separate home button.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
anodizing it to a point where the edge will not scuff in normal use.
anodizing it with gold, silver or platinum if possible
be the first with sapphire glass
assemble it in the US of A

I'll be more than happy to pay for luxury.

Well I found that my phone isn't chipping with normal use. I keep it in a pocket separate from keys and stuff. They do offer anodizing in gold, hence the gold version. And why make it in the USA? Just because it is made in the US doesn't mean a better product. Apple can't even make enough Mac Pro units in the US and that sells a lot less than even a luxury iPhone would.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Still too long

I still don't get this complaint. You realize the 5/5S is 16:9? Which is the same as all the competition right?

And despite the 16:9 ratio, the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s still look wrong. There are many other phones with even bigger screens which just look better proportioned in terms of the casing and screen.

Many people like the 5/5s shape. And others, like myself, don't.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If it weren't for Touch ID, they could make the whole screen click like a mac trackpad. That would actually work better than a separate home button.

I wonder if there is a way to make a virtual touch id button? I'm not a big fan of the home button on the iPhone or iPad. To me it's an unnecessary mechanical part to wear out.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Well I found that my phone isn't chipping with normal use. I keep it in a pocket separate from keys and stuff. They do offer anodizing in gold, hence the gold version. And why make it in the USA? Just because it is made in the US doesn't mean a better product. Apple can't even make enough Mac Pro units in the US and that sells a lot less than even a luxury iPhone would.

Scuffing is a lot more likely to occur than chipping. I don't even know if chipping is possible with the 5 or 5S

The American middle class is being pushed into poverty one family at a time. We can definitely use a few manufacturing jobs about now. It doesn't take a degree to assemble an iPhone, and it doesn't take small Asian hands (tragic stereotype) to do so either. Motivated and competent Americans can be trained to assemble an iPhone in matter of weeks.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

In all honesty, I don't care how many SKU's they have. If they have a larger phone then I will stay with them. I want to stay in the echo system and I want to stay with iOS. I want a larger screened iPhone.

Dump the remainder iPhones the 4 and 4s along with the "C" if that makes you feel better. I haven't looked but did you say the same thing about the "C" when it came out in all it's colors?

Of course you probably didn't like the fact they had so many SKU's for the iPod too. Sorry I don't buy it.

Sorry, if the item is selling, they can have more SKU's. If it isn't selling, dump it. Which at this point Apple seems willing to do.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
If the back is going to be metal then couldn't they just anodise the backs of the phones like the current iPod touch? That way you can replace the 5c market. So say you have a 4.7" iPhone with 5 or 6 colour options, the same for the 5.5", and then keep the 5S as the entry model.

mrheeley

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
Time to ditch the numbers....

See where this is going right? The number designations are likely going away... (finally!!)

iPhone mini, Air, Pro...
iPad mini, Air, Pro (once the 12" in released)
MacBook Mini (rename the 11" Air), Air, Pro
iMac Mini, Air, Pro...

Time to align all the product lines just like Steve Jobs did when he returned to Apple. Less confusing to the GP!!

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007

How many laptop sizes, iPod sizes, iPad sizes, and iMac sizes do they have? You actually believe Apple cant make just TWO screen sizes of phones successfully. WOW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.