Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Hey! Who the **** told you you could speak for everyone? I want one and I think it looks awesome! And no that's not the Apple fanboy inside me speaking. Although... I'm never really sure. Maybe my Apple fanboy is the only voice I have :D

Wow , someone is precious.

Listen to the voices !!!!! They are right!!!

----------

They must have surveyed some rich kids.

garbage-barge

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2014
Let's be honest, if I were a young kid watching an Apple keynote.

There's that old grey haired guy, sheesh he must be ancient who's running the place, and the designer from England. You know, the old fat guy.

And here's a free album from some old band that mum and dad probably liked back in the 80s :)

Still can't believe that when they wanted to show how innovative and empowering their 2014 stuff is, they reach back into history and pick a band who peaked in 1987!

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
And yet it willbe the early adopters that will pave the way for the herd to eventually follow. Why hate?
Thats what I'm saying, go for it, saves us wasting our money, $350 to be a Beta tester seems a bit much to me. If you feel comfortable go ahead.
I'm not usually one to hold back, but this time I'll wait.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
It's pretty crazy how ubiquitous iPhones are for the under 18 crowd in the U.S. Even kids who don't have an iPhone probably have an iPod touch - my buddy's 16 year old sister was rocking a flip phone/iTouch combo. Touch was for Snapchat/Twitter/Vine/Tumblr and whatever other apps are cool with kids these days.

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Looks like it's INCREASING in popularity to me.

RIP MacRumors. Liked you better before you were purchased by Samsung.

----------

I know, right? Seems like the headlines to many articles lately seem to "stir the pot" and mislead in a negative direction. The title to this one makes it seems like interest for Apple Watch is tepid with everyone, not just teenagers. I would imagine teenagers would think watches in general are out-of-style.

Strangely, when I was a teenager it was considered uncool to carry an umbrella. We were just supposed to get wet, I guess. No one in college had umbrellas.

Y

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
16 Year olds wanting an iPad I can understand, but buying a iPhone 6 outright for a 16 Year old?

Maybe they might want to have that money go to their first car instead. I know my daughter's definitely are not walking around with new iPhones.

I wonder what these parents are buying their kids when they reach 18, a new house?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Does anyone really care about Gene Munster surveys?

60 comments already says people do I guess.
-----

The iPhone is fine, I'm fatigued with my iPad. Granted i have the 3, but unless Apple can demonstrated something that differentiates from a big iPod touch I won't buy another. It is pleasant to use, but I want more than a touch screen Safari for $800.

I'd like better multitasking, digitizer support, proper keyboard support...

Come on Apple, give me something!

Service Droid

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
Aus
Half? 100% of the people I talk to haven't heard of it!

I'm a technician who works at an Apple Reseller and we all watched the keynote and there is zero interest here and everyone carries an iPhone. The office basically sees it as a non product. Cool for what it is but really of no use to anyone.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone in the marketing realm of the Active Lifestyle Market could have saved Mr. Munster a lot of wasted time and energy :).

Did Apple hire execs from Yves Saint Laurent, Burberry, Nike, and others to market its watch to teens whom everyone and their mother already knew is not at all keen on watches ?

Instead Apple brilliantly is going "wear" the market actually is today and building it out from there. Seriously their strategy is the right move. Tech heads won't make watches cool. Cool factor on a wearable will come from the fashion market...

Does this Munster character not realize Apples game plan making this research study useless and something clearly Apple and fashion industry experts already knew..

Samesong and Google also didn't get the memo.

Btw I'm not at all surprised by all the doubts about the Apple Watch and its potential bc so many of you sort of expected Apple to go down the same "market it to the tech head world" failed strategy of its competitors. Think.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
They all started on hand me down iPhones or iPod Touches. Which begs the question, WHY DOES APPLE SH***** ON THE IPOD TOUCH LINE???

Kids love it and want more and Apple just feeds them crap.

Meanwhile this website states that the current iPod Touch is recently refreshed. The very same one that was released in 2012.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
They all started on hand me down iPhones or iPod Touches. Which begs the question, WHY DOES APPLE SH***** ON THE IPOD TOUCH LINE???

Meanwhile this website states that the current iPod Touch is recently refreshed. The very same one that was released in 2012.

Because the iPod Touch is a declining market. Why get an iPod touch when you can get a iPhone that does the exact same thing but also calls people.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Maybe that's how you see it but Apple looks at the number. They see a lot less iPod sales a a ton more iPhone sales. What they are doing makes sense. I seen tons of "little kids" with iPhones

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Apple is marketing the Apple watch as tech jewelry for the tech savy fashion set. These highly visible customers will set a trend for being cool with tech. Eventually the Apple Watch, IF it succeeds, will become much more useful, hopefully cheaper and maybe some day even a nessesary item for many average consumers.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I get the distinct impression that Apple is going to struggle to sell the 1st Gen Watch.

It seems a pretty popular opinion that you just don't buy the 1st Gen Apple product ever since the iPhone 3G and iPad 2 had such radical differences to their 1st Gen counterparts.

I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that the original iPad did not have a built in camera. It was clearly a feature they were saving for the 2nd gen to encourage people to upgrade.

The iPhone 3G has nearly identical internals with the first iPhone except the 3G cellular radio and minor changes. It's the third iPhone, iPhone 3GS which is radically different from its predecessors. For the case of the iPad, correct. I think the case about the first iPad is that it was developed all the way back in 2009, but was only available to the market a year later due to production issues. So it was already outdated at the time it was released.

----------

It's pretty crazy how ubiquitous iPhones are for the under 18 crowd in the U.S. Even kids who don't have an iPhone probably have an iPod touch - my buddy's 16 year old sister was rocking a flip phone/iTouch combo. Touch was for Snapchat/Twitter/Vine/Tumblr and whatever other apps are cool with kids these days.

It's been a long time since last time I saw the word 'iTouch' :D

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Well for me i will be getting the apple watch the sport model 42mm in space grey. i am a cyclist and when out on my 70mi rides, when calls notifications are coming in i of to stop or take out my phone wile riding. Which made it very uncomfortable even dangers to do. with the apple watch all i have do raise my hand to see who is calling etc. I have being waiting for something like this for a long time.

... and you single-handedly managed to get me excited about the Apple Watch. :eek: :) #

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Surprised by those windows numbers TBH. Surface Pro 3 effect? Or cheap 8" tablets?

I have a Surface Pro 3 from work. I hate it with a passion. It's pure misery, and riddled with problems, bad UI, instability etc.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Thats what I'm saying, go for it, saves us wasting our money, $350 to be a Beta tester seems a bit much to me. If you feel comfortable go ahead.
I'm not usually one to hold back, but this time I'll wait.

"Waste our money", "beta tester"... There sure is a lot of hate for a product you've never used before.

Thankfully, $350 is not a big deal for me. I'll be glad to be a part of what looks to be history in the making. Even if it turns out to be "beta" as you say, the novelty alone is worth it for me... and even if everything about it sucks, I'll still have a gorgeous timepiece to boot.

Wish I could say the same for Google Glass.... Now *that* is what you call an expensive beta with little upside.

Babbles

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
U.S.A
There's no way I'm buying my kid(s) a $300-600 phone, much less a watch. And if I do, it'll be the only phone they get for a long LONG while.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Does anyone really care about Gene Munster surveys?

It isn't a "Gene Munster survey." These "Taking Stock of Teens" surveys are a staple at Piper Jaffray. They've been doing them for something like 25 years. But in answer to your question: their clients, presumably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.