Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scat999999

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2003
Apple's making too big of a deal about the Watch's health implications. Teenagers don't give a crap about tracking their steps, stairs, resting etc.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
i am a cyclist and when out on my 70mi rides, when calls notifications are coming in i of to stop or take out my phone wile riding. Which made it very uncomfortable even dangers to do. with the apple watch all i have do raise my hand to see who is calling etc. I have being waiting for something like this for a long time.

No need to wait. You can do that with a Pebble watch now, for less than 1/3rd the price of Apple's. More water resistant. Even write your own custom biking apps with a SDK that's already public and published.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
16 Year olds wanting an iPad I can understand, but buying a iPhone 6 outright for a 16 Year old?

Maybe they might want to have that money go to their first car instead. I know my daughter's definitely are not walking around with new iPhones.

I wonder what these parents are buying their kids when they reach 18, a new house?

I'm 15 and have an unlocked iphone 5c.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Let's be honest, if I were a young kid watching an Apple keynote.

There's that old grey haired guy, sheesh he must be ancient who's running the place, and the designer from England. You know, the old fat guy.

:D

When I was young young sheesh 30 seemed like getting old
Apple's not exactly teeming with fresh dynamic blood on stage showing off the cool products. Just a load of old guys mostly.

(If I was looking at from my viewpoint a few! years ago)

If a young kid, or anyone, really, is watching an Apple keynote, they already want and love Apple products. A grey haired CEO and a fat designer sure as hell isn't going to change that. Not even crappy old U2 will change that. Only bad products.. and those aren't happening.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
If a young kid, or anyone, really, is watching an Apple keynote, they already want and love Apple products. A grey haired CEO and a fat designer sure as hell isn't going to change that. Not even crappy old U2 will change that. Only bad products.. and those aren't happening.

If only 1/6 of current teens (and adult) get the watch it would be the biggest Apple launch. Couple with Apple taking the long view on wearable, and I don't think they're worried :).

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
No need to wait. You can do that with a Pebble watch now, for less than 1/3rd the price of Apple's. More water resistant. Even write your own custom biking apps with a SDK that's already public and published.

Never heard of this watch but i will check it out for sure thanks.

TT D'arby

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
For most teens $350 isn't an afterthought but an unrealistic assumption. Maybe next year it'll be possible but definitely not this year.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013

Well who can resist the temptation of getting to write your own apps?!

Most people.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
"Waste our money", "beta tester"... There sure is a lot of hate for a product you've never used before.

Thankfully, $350 is not a big deal for me. I'll be glad to be a part of what looks to be history in the making. Even if it turns out to be "beta" as you say, the novelty alone is worth it for me... and even if everything about it sucks, I'll still have a gorgeous timepiece to boot.

Wish I could say the same for Google Glass.... Now *that* is what you call an expensive beta with little upside.
I didn't buy into that either, anyway good luck with the watch, I've got a watch and plenty of clocks and a couple of iPads to tell the time so I'll wait.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
I'm not too surprised that youngsters don't crave an iWatch. So far, it doesn't have (enough?) must-have cool features for them - which is not to say I know what that'd be. My guess is that those who are most enthusiastic are older types, like me, of the Dick Tracy generation, who felt that the Wrist Radio Watch was the cat's pyjamas. Unfortunately, we'll probably not be big buyers of the watch, either, because you can't, so far, call, let alone FaceTime, over it. But when that arrives ...

... the rate of car accidents or just accidents in general will sky rocket.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
If your teenager is looking to spend 350 bucks on a watch you're not doing a very good job parenting.

If your teenager is looking to spend 350 bucks on a watch, you already know that's not happening.
No parent would give a child that kind of money on a watch unless they're actually TRYING to spoil them. Those teens better get a job.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
I really cannot see a $350 watch becoming a mainstream must-have item – even for iPhone uses – especially among teenagers who 1) are lucky if they have that much income in an entire month, and 2) have largely never worn watches.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012

Never heard of this watch but i will check it out for sure thanks.

not to mention it gets 5-7 days of battery life versus the :apple:Watch 1-day.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Let's be honest, if I were a young kid watching an Apple keynote.

There's that old grey haired guy, sheesh he must be ancient who's running the place, and the designer from England. You know, the old fat guy.

:D

When I was young young sheesh 30 seemed like getting old
Apple's not exactly teeming with fresh dynamic blood on stage showing off the cool products. Just a load of old guys mostly.

(If I was looking at from my viewpoint a few! years ago)

Let's be honest. This article is NOT about young kids; it's about teens.
While we're getting all anecdotal: my 15 yo son definitely knows who Tim Cook is by sight & watches highlights at least from keynotes with me.
At CES the latest tech isn't brought out by kids... at E3 new games aren't brought out by kids. Lol, teens are aware that adults demo products to them.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Yes they do.... They just withdraw it from the International bank of Mom & Dad.:p

My international bank of Mom and Dad deny everyone of my withdraws...

----------

not to mention it gets 5-7 days of battery life versus the :apple:Watch 1-day.

I normally hate when people say this but I'm going to be the dick that says it.

Link?

Where did you find out it has 1 days batter life :p

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
My international bank of Mom and Dad deny everyone of my withdraws...

----------

I normally hate when people say this but I'm going to be the dick that says it.

Link?

Where did you find out it has 1 days batter life :p

You are correct , it's never been disclosed.

If it had decent battery life, apple would have made a statement about it. Since battery life has been avoided in all the information provided, it's a very good chance it will be a day, could be worse...

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I do not think anyone will be surprised when the watch flops. As jewelry it is uninspiring at best and clunky at worst, As must have gadget, it's not. All it needed to do was was look good, but the iPod nano watch looked better without even trying.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If your teenager is looking to spend 350 bucks on a watch you're not doing a very good job parenting.

It's iPhone + watch. The watch needs an iPhone for full functionality. Watch is just an accessory for the iPhone

There must be some spoilt kids out there!

When I was a teenager and needed $1k... It better bad been for medical treatment etc... Not some toys!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
questions of methodology aside, this isn't a shock. The watch is designed to appeal to fitness freaks, frequent shoppers etc. Kids if they are shopping are using mom or dad's credit card or cash. The Watch isn't likely to work for them cause Daddy would never let them keep a card on it and use it without asking first. And kids are perhaps sporty but not 'fitness freaks' that count every step.

----------

The fact that you have to pair it with an iPhone nearby is not going to go well.

my only hope is that you can also pair it with an iPad and they extend Passbook and Health to the iPad even if just for use with the Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.