Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
This seriously makes me want to get into iPhone app development.

$9198 in one day. Madness.

Yeah, I am clearly in the wrong business. Web development is nowhere near that lucrative. Not sure I have any ideas that could be that popular, though.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
While $10,000 in one day may sound like a lot. it isn't because it will not continue at that rate for long. The problem here is that with Apps selling for $0.99 there is no budget for "serious" software. "real" software is very expensive to make. It takes a team of people months and years to write and all the while you are paying them a middle class wage. and payroll taxes and insurance and rent of the office and so on. In fact you don't get much software written for $1,000,000.

I don't see any way that a developer would invest multiple man years of labor in an iPhone app.

The games market has changed, primarily as a result on the Nintendo DS and Wii but the iPhone is just continuing the trend - simple and interactive games / apps which take a lot less development resources. A good example is the DS game Brain Age, this was created by a team of 9 developers in 90 days (under 3 man years in total) and has currently sold 15 million copies.

You can write a lot of software for $1 million, or a little. More and more companies are going down the lot of software route, resulting in simple games and then relying on the massive target market which can mean massive profit margins. Nintendo must have easily made $50 million profit from Brain Age, other companies know that and its a massive incentive for them to invest in similar games / apps.

It is a bit of a concern that with apps priced so cheaply it will put companies off from investing the money and resources in major apps but that will become less of a problem as the iPhone market expands through unit sales. Though it doesn't even seem to be that big a problem at the moment.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
What an inspirational movie this guy's life would make. He overcomes initial obstacles (rejection from the app store) to eventually the good word spreads and the fruits of his labor climb the ladder and become number 1. It will inspire millions.

Unless I'm mistaken, it was Pull My Finger that overcame obstacles. I think this guy just whipped it up when Pull My Finger got their foot in the door.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Unless I'm mistaken, it was Pull My Finger that overcame obstacles. I think this guy just whipped it up when Pull My Finger got their foot in the door.

him and everyone else... i just counted 35 "fart" apps. really? this disgusts me. One fart app - ok, someone was bound to do it.
Two - competition can be good.
Five or more - absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
him and everyone else... i just counted 35 "fart" apps. really? this disgusts me. One fart app - ok, someone was bound to do it.
Two - competition can be good.
Five or more - absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary.

Only slightly harder to program than a Flashlight app and tons more fun. :D

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I am loving my major in college. I'm double majoring in Computer Information Systems and Computer Science. One more year left and I'll have my bachelors. I can't wait until I get my Masters because App Store here I come! LOL.

Nearly $10,000 in a day- wow.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Unbelievable.

That's mind blowing. An application for a phone only 1 1/2 years old in Apple's iTunes App Store has made $9198 in a single day and it's primary function is humor from fart noises!!! Unbelievable.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If I could, I would rip a page out of this guy's book and develop my own fart app.

I wonder, what distinguishes this fart app from the other 50? Probably not much, so the other 50 or so apps must be selling similarly well. Oh, Lord.

Maybe Apple should make the minimal price of an app $5. This would deter people buying crap like this and as a result, people will stop making them. Developers will then decide to put some time and effort into their apps. If I was a serious developer, I would be pissed that my product is being killed by crap like this.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
DavidLeblond said:
What an inspirational movie this guy's life would make. He overcomes initial obstacles (rejection from the app store) to eventually the good word spreads and the fruits of his labor climb the ladder and become number 1. It will inspire millions.

I think a lot off fart apps were rejected over the past 6 months.... So this was one that got let in after apple changed their policy.

arn

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Is this tax free? Arn I think there would be some taxes. Still, even anything about $8000 is worth getting a peice of this pie.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Is this tax free? Arn I think there would be some taxes. Still, even anything about $8000 is worth getting a peice of this pie.

It is income, therefore it isn't tax free. I hope these developers aren't blowing all the money they earn or else they're seriously going to be hurting when April 15th rolls around. Probably get stuck with a fee too if they aren't paying estimated taxes.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Absolute madness, I might invest in the iPhone Dev License if that much money can be made, even with a small time app that doesn't get high in the charts, it's still a bit of money coming in :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.