Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
Desired Cal improvements that should be implemented -

- weekly view (when in landscape?)
- ability to move appointments by the click/hold/wiggle system (like moving app positions) when in daily or weekly view (shouldnt have to manually edit the date time, we should be able to drag/drop the appointments.)
- ability to easily reproduce/repeat/reschedule appointments (ie. repeat this appointment "next week", in "2 weeks" etc)

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Why are you wasting your time with these people. They think Apple sit around doing nothing except waiting for the competition to release something before they start working.

See copy and paste. Two years nothing, and it just so happens to release on close to the Palm Pre? As great as you make apple out to be, wouldn't you expect them to be able to master copy and paste?

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Voice Control From Bluetooth Headset

I can now activate voice control without any interaction with my iPhone 3GS, but solely with my Jawbone 2... :) I am using 3.1

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
See copy and paste. Two years nothing, and it just so happens to release on close to the Palm Pre? As great as you make apple out to be, wouldn't you expect them to be able to master copy and paste?

What about the G1 that had copy and paste, Android and the other phones that had copy and paste. Maybe Apple decided to release it because of those phones or maybe they did when they got around to releasing it. We all knew Apple was going to release a new operating system for iphone in March and new iphone in June.

If the Palm Pre really pushed Apple they would have figured a way rush multitasking in March which is the Pre's main selling point against the iphone but they did not, which shows Apple moves according to their own pace. I guess in January of 2010 when another company releases another so called iphone killer and when Apple decides to release iphone OS 4.0 and the new iphone in June it will be because of that "iphone killer".

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
What about the G1 that had copy and paste, Android and the other phones that had copy and paste. Maybe Apple decided to release it because of those phones or maybe they did when they got around to releasing it. We all knew Apple was going to release a new operating system for iphone in March and new iphone in June.

If the Palm Pre really pushed Apple they would have figured a way rush multitasking in March which is the Pre's main selling point against the iphone but they did not, which shows Apple moves according to their own pace. I guess in January of 2010 when another company releases another so called iphone killer and when Apple decides to release iphone OS 4.0 and the new iphone in June it will be because of that "iphone killer".

I get it man, you have bought into Apple 100% and i applaud that. To me, i just can't get past that it took 2 years to deliver C&P. I can't think of any reasonable explanation as to why this is absent. And being as we both aren't involved in that process we probably will never know.

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
Everything has slowed down dramatically since 3.0, I hope this update clears out a bunch of bugs & errors. Even restarting the phone takes 10-20 seconds longer.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
for the last time APPLE. it's not video EDITING! it's video TRIMMING.

you cannot assemble various video clips together, you can only trim the in and out points of the clip.

but my guess is it won't be long before someone creates a true editing app for the iphone. That'd be interesting.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Forgot one:

- All iPhone 3GS models now have the ability to detonate all Palm Pres in a 100 yard radius.

That bit of fireworks will be automatically enabled after dark on Saturday. However, from the numbers I've seen, it may be pretty much a non-event.
:D

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006

Apple announced from the very beginning that C&P was being developed and would become available as soon as they found a way to do it elegantly. So, the only pressure to "git 'er done" came from within Apple. C&P was on the earliest list of features needed for the "enterprise market", right up there with push notification.

There are often tradeoffs in the design process and different companies will weigh them differently. It appears that Apple is placing a high priority on battery life at the expense of adding features. This priority adds to the value of the iPhone as a phone, something that Palm doesn't value as highly.

If anything, Palm knew Apple was planning on adding C&P from Apple's public announcement of such and added C&P to their needed list of features; not the other way around.

AKlrt

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
3gs Gps

Anyone heard anything about a GPS fix or is it just my phone? GPS on my 3G with 2.2.1 worked great. Whether it is the 3.0 software or the 3GS phone, my GPS is now all over the map. If they don't admit to a software problem with a fix in sight then I will need to return my phone within the 30 day window and see if another phone solves the problem.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
Interestingly enough, I applied the carrier file "hack" when I got my 3GS to do MMS (for like a day) and for tethering... As we know MMS isn't working, however with 3.1... tethering is.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I get it man, you have bought into Apple 100% and i applaud that. To me, i just can't get past that it took 2 years to deliver C&P. I can't think of any reasonable explanation as to why this is absent. And being as we both aren't involved in that process we probably will never know.

I'm certain Apple had copy/cut/paste set long ago. Any time a company plans for a new product, a marketing "road map" is set, normally for 3-5 years. As much as consumers may not like this fact, but certain technological features may be "held back" in order to keep consumer interest at a steady incline. Apple, Inc. certainly knew that copy/cut/paste would be a necessary feature. As such, Apple most likely held that feature back on their "road map" in order to market it for future buyers as a "new feature". Two years later, Apple releases iPhone OS 3.0 with "new features" most likely having been developed from day one. It's business, and sometimes in business the consumer doesn't always get what they want, when they want it.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
but my guess is it won't be long before someone creates a true editing app for the iphone. That'd be interesting.
Especially now that there are "new APIs [that] allow developers of third-party application to access and edit videos."

It'd be neat to see something that allowed for basic NLE and simple text cards. I think we'd start seeing mobile vLogs made without the need for a computer. Whether that's actually GOOD or not remains to be seen, but it is at least interesting.

liveccam

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
What about wifi

Has Apple fixed the wifi problems it injected with 3.0? Can I expect performance at least equivalent to 2.2.1 with 3.1?

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Seriously though, I firmly believe that without Palm Pre you probably would not be
seeing Turn-By-Turn GPS, Voice Control, Copy/Paste/Undo, and Bluetooth Stereo, and Push Notifications. Many of these things are in response to Palm Pre having them OR in response to Palm Pre not having to give iPhone a clear advantage.

Total ass gas! Apple's 3.0 feature set was well firmed up by the time the Pre was shown. Apple had even announced that some of the features were on their short list back at the announcement of 2.0. You're trying to rewrite history with way too little information.

Its no different than CPU manufacturers do.... They create a chip that runs at X Ghz,
then they sell it initially at 0.5 X Ghz, then a few months later at 0.7 X Ghz, then
eventually at 1.0 X Ghz. They slowly disseminate improvements so you can increase
revenue. Then if your competitor tries to beat your best product, you turn around
and trump them with the cards you are still holding.

More lack of information allowing you to jump to false conclusions. As chip makers improve their yield they can churn out larger percentages of higher performance chips and offer them for sale.

I won't even comment on the rest of your daydream musings.

Frixo Cool

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Croatia
Well, my only wish for 3.1 is to fix wi-fi problems that range from bad reception to dead iPhones.

Also, I am so happy to see that so many MacRumors users have no problem with this... maybe only some iPhone series are affected...

Check this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2044754&start=0&tstart=0

At first I thought that I am just very unlucky that my brand new iPhone replacement (I had mic problems with the first one) is having wi-fi problems, but then I found out at Apple forum that this problem is much wider...

It's a strange mix of software and hardware problems triggered with the 3.0 update. Apple replaces affected iPhones and recommends not to upgrade to 3.0 as "it may happen again". So, I hope 3.1 will fix this as I am again without my beloved iPhone. :(

thirtyeyes

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
C&p

So, those of you defending Apple and claiming they do not react to market forces. C&P was withheld for 2 years because...?

The bottom line here is that not having C&P for two years is indefensible. It was a ridiculous omission that can only be explained by incompetence or avarice.

I can't wait to find out how I'll get screwed to enable tethering.

I love Apple, been using their products since the Apple II Plus, but I think we can all agree they are not perfect.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Seriously though, I firmly believe that without Palm Pre you probably would not be
seeing Turn-By-Turn GPS, Voice Control, Copy/Paste/Undo, and Bluetooth Stereo,
and Push Notifications. Many of these things are in response to Palm Pre having them
OR in response to Palm Pre not having to give iPhone a clear advantage.

And without the iPhone, you wouldn't be seeing any Palm Pre. Or any other Touch-based device on the market worth spitting on for another few years.

The Pre was never a real threat. Let's not kid ourselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.