Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brycer

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
I FINALLY have a fix that works for me. There is a great iPhone app called SMSd you can under Utilities in the Installer. It also allows you to forward msgs, delete single msgs, send to multi recipients and backup your SMS db. For more info:

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-smsd/

oxlikwidxo

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
oh i see...

at the risk of sounding like a complete fool how would i add the + sign useing the key pad?

thank you again for your help!

Amar

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Ahem... On your keypad press and hold the '0' (Zero key) until it turns into a '+' sign.

chcom

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
SMS Center

Hello Amar, does this programming affect the phone if you change SIM cards? Let's say you want to use another SIM from other network. Will the iphone read the SMS center number automatically? Another question is, can you revert the programming? Thanks in advance....

Amar

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Hi. From my experience, the phone will always try and pick the service center from the SIM. However, there are some SIMS (the older ones) which did not contain the service center information on them out of the packet and had to be configured manually. Most new ones do however so there shouldn't be any need to keep changing the service center.

The easiest way I have found to reset the service center is by removing the SIM and re-inserting it (obviously after turning the phone into flight mode or off) as this information is usually stored in the SIM.

Maybe someone else may have a key sequence to restore SMS Service Center number to default on SIM?

josielinnea

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Stockholm
Yes. I tried everything, but the solution has been found and resolved.

I was trying to send sms's to a sony ericcson, and changing the 'reply to service sender was not an option available. Instead, i found that "request reply" was on. After turning this off i could send to the sony ericsson with ease!

Thanks again Amar, you da man

Thanks! I've had problems with sending messages to only 2 people. After reading your post and texting them to ask, I found out both use SonyEricsson-phones, and both had "request reply" turned on. Both turned it off, and now it works as normal. Thanks a lot, this really bugged me since one of them was my brother :)

yannis

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
message centre

Hi all,

I just got an iPhone myself a couple of days ago. I couldn't send sms to anyone with my (UK) T-mobile sim card simply because the message centre wasn't stored in the sim but in the phone I got with my contract (N73).
I tried a couple of things but what finally worked was the following:
I put the (T-mo) sim in one of my old phones (Nokia 6230) and I entered the message centre (which I got from the N73) in the default profile of the text message settings. I was lucky because what that phone did was enter that number in the sim. Not sure if newer Nokia phones do that but it worked just fine for me. Now I don't get the "error sending message" anymore.
hope that helps...
yannis

Forward Thinker

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
I have also had these problems with just one or two of my contacts.
The problem has been a bit spotty with these people. I will investigate more and report back.

I also see there a lot of fellow Rogers users (Toronto). When I recently called in for tech support, I was hesitant to let them know I'm using an iPhone. Have any of you disclosed this to tech support, and if so, what sort of responses did you receive? Did they tell you they could not assist since they don't support iPhone?

Thanks.

iPhone-Love

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Error Sending message - my fix?

Hello,
I am using iPhone on 1.1.2 on the Telstra network in Australia (have only been using it 4 days). Everything was fine for 2 days, then for the first time I accessed Edge to download a couple of emails. Don't know why but after this I stopped being able to send SMSes. It would say "Error Sending Message", then "No Service" and then "No Sim Card Installed". Sim texted fine from my old phone. I thought it was message center number and was about to manually enter it with the hack key, then I had a re-think and went to Settings / Carrier which, on the main Settings page, read "Telstra mobile". But then I selected "Carrier" to go into that menu, I found "Automatic" was ticked. (Maybe this happened when I accessed Edge? Who knows?) I manually selected "Telstra mobile". Turned the phone off and on and everything has been happy since. So far. Just a thought, worked for me. Now my iPhone and I are in love again!:)

ubergeak

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
where do i enter this number

Hi! You're mising the '+' sign before the country code. It should read:

*5005*7672*+17057969300#

Cheers!

Hi, I just activated my iphone with rogers. i ported over from telus. I'm having problems sending SMS messages to anyone. I'm just wondering where i enter this long string of digits? i called rogers tech support and they said it should be in the sms message options but i can't seem to find the options

or do i have to enter all that in front of telephone number you want to send the SMS message to...?

would porting the number have anything to do with my inability to send SMS messages?

Amar

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Hi there!

You will need to enter this on the Telephone Keypad. Assume you are going to manually dial a number and just enter them in there.

Cheers!

snare07

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Hello,
I am using iPhone on 1.1.2 on the Telstra network in Australia (have only been using it 4 days). Everything was fine for 2 days, then for the first time I accessed Edge to download a couple of emails. Don't know why but after this I stopped being able to send SMSes. It would say "Error Sending Message", then "No Service" and then "No Sim Card Installed". Sim texted fine from my old phone. I thought it was message center number and was about to manually enter it with the hack key, then I had a re-think and went to Settings / Carrier which, on the main Settings page, read "Telstra mobile". But then I selected "Carrier" to go into that menu, I found "Automatic" was ticked. (Maybe this happened when I accessed Edge? Who knows?) I manually selected "Telstra mobile". Turned the phone off and on and everything has been happy since. So far. Just a thought, worked for me. Now my iPhone and I are in love again!:)

I have an unlocked iphone 1.1.2 using turbosim under t-mobile USA. I have had it for 4 days, the first 3 of which sending text messages was fine. But now I'm having the same problem you had. When sending a text the error message would appear followed by a short period of no service. I tried what you suggested but that doesn't seem to help. Can anyone help me with this problem?!?!

snare07

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
I have an unlocked iphone 1.1.2 using turbosim under t-mobile USA. I have had it for 4 days, the first 3 of which sending text messages was fine. But now I'm having the same problem you had. When sending a text the error message would appear followed by a short period of no service. I tried what you suggested but that doesn't seem to help. Can anyone help me with this problem?!?!

OK I figured it out!!!! I went back to read what you had said about using EDGE to send emails and such. I just ended my yahoo mailing account and reset my phone. SMS works fine now!! This is a flaw in the system seems like. You can't use EDGE without enabling SMS messaging. It's crazy. But I would choose texting over e-mailing any day.

Blu3Flam3

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
:(

having the same prob here
i can receive sms perfectly but cant reply or cant send any at all
was working fine for the past week but just today starting getting the "error sendind message" then no service...

already tryied all the posibles solutions mentioned here but none has worked succefully,

help!!!!!

Amar

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
having the same prob here
i can receive sms perfectly but cant reply or cant send any at all
was working fine for the past week but just today starting getting the "error sendind message" then no service...

already tryied all the posibles solutions mentioned here but none has worked succefully,

help!!!!!

Hi.

From what you're saying, it sounds like there's very little or no network signal at the time you're sending the sms.

In any case, have you tried 'Clear'ing the sms chat history and then sending the sms? If that works for you, please try and check whether this only happens with a few numbers. If it does, then try looking at earlier posts from December last year.

Cheers

jimmytime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
same here blu3
can recive sms' make and revice calls but CANT SEND sms'
ERROR SENDING MESSAGE
GRRRR
tried EVERYTHING ABOVE
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snare07

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
same here blu3
can recive sms' make and revice calls but CANT SEND sms'
ERROR SENDING MESSAGE
GRRRR
tried EVERYTHING ABOVE
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK so do you currently use the e-mail service on the phone?? If you do.. try deleting any account you are using. Reset and then try sending a text. If this doesn't work you might need to manually input your service center number. The sequence is: *5005*7672*+1(service center number)#

You get the service center number from your provider.

jimmytime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
OK so do you currently use the e-mail service on the phone?? If you do.. try deleting any account you are using. Reset and then try sending a text. If this doesn't work you might need to manually input your service center number. The sequence is: *5005*7672*+1(service center number)#

You get the service center number from your provider.

hey mate, tried both of those.
its so strange i have full signal till 3/4 threw i send the message then it comes up with the error message and up the top left it will say no signal then 5sec after that it will go back to full signal ??
its been happening for 2 days now GRRR i dont want to go back to my n95

jimmytime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
i dont know if this has anything to do with it as im not upto speed on the whole iphone thing just yet.
when i bought the iphone (in hongkong) it came with a small computer chip i had to stick to my sim card. they said it was the only way it would work something to do with unlocking ?. is this still needed ? or can u use software to unlock the phone to work and throw away that stupid thing?
The shop assistant also said NEVER upgrade my phone which i was pretty bumed about (as they told me this AFTER i PAYED)
so im a bit up in the air as to why all of a sudded i cant sent sms'
i want to pull the sim card out and try my other one but dont want to break that little computer thingo its stuck to. i found one on ebay just incase im have confusted anyone it looks just like this one here
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Next-Gen...yZ113695QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

grrr i just want my iphone to work again.
oh and if it helps im in australia on the optus network.

mihirmodi

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Network Crashes while sending sms

hi,
am having v.1.1.2 unlocked and carrier IDEA(in India). i have tried everything which is mentioned here... but still the problem persists.. thing is dat when i send the sms the network crashes and it gets back after 5 seconds. error comes while sending and sending fails.. please help me out....please

jimmytime

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
ok so its been a week or so. the only way i have fixed this issue is
(1) turn off iphone
(2) take out simcard
(3) put simcard into another phone
(4) sms myself
(5) get sms on old phone
(6) sms myself again and quickly turn off phone
(7) get sms from myself on Iphone
(8) reply to sms from myself
and from there is all works smooth again.
its only when i get a sms from this one person my iphone then does the error sending messsage
he is on a OLD mobile plan (about 4-5 years old) which has now joint another network. frickin weird and its a bloooody hassle but geeez i happy i found/figured a way to get it working again.

chriskamen

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
fixed SMS problem - somehow?

Yeah I was having the same problem on Telstra in Australia, I have had my iPhone for a week and it was SMSing fine, but a couple of days ago stopped being able to send SMS's (always receiving fine).

So I tried all these things above, nothing worked, and then put my sim into a Nokia N95, sent a test SMS. Then put my sim back into my iphone and now it's all working fine again.

Weird. Maybe got something to do with clearing a cache on the sim that the iPhone doesn't do? (I am using the anySim thingo to make it work on my 1.1.2 iPhone.)

Let's see if it stays fixed....

bb10lue

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Melbourne Australia
Im having the same problem too. It worked for about a week after i got the iphone, and suddenly stopped working a few days ago. I didn't try the remove sim and send sms thing as im currently on international roaming. I'll try that once i get home.

Im using SMSD as an alternative for sending SMS now, it works GREAT!!!!

G86

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Help!

Hi there!

You will need to enter this on the Telephone Keypad. Assume you are going to manually dial a number and just enter them in there.

Cheers!

I'm having a lot of trouble with the SMS as well. It worked fine for the first day or so, but now I keep getting the "error sending message" every time i try to send a message out. I am with Rogers Wireless in Canada. I've read the previous posts which said put in *5005*7672*+17057969300# but i wasn't sure where to put this. I went to the phone input that number and pressed call, and three lines popped up that said:

Setting Succeeded
Service Centre Address
No Address

I have no idea what this means, I've tried sending txt messages again, but it still doesn't work. Please help, and if you can give me step by step instructions.. I'm not very good with technology :confused:

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.