Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to forgive Apple when the iphone finally get's beat out?

• Yes, I love my Apples and always will.

Votes: 150 89.3%
  • No way, they've screwed me, screw them!

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters

richg916

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
If the Nokia Tube or Android phones are a hit, I'd break my contract in a minute, pay a $150 fee with a huge smile, and I wouldn't look back to see how Apple reacts. !

And when you do.... make sure you leave a link to the new forum you will be visiting so we can watch you bitch about your new phone there. :D

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
I'm reporting this thread. He's essentially trolling (would that be the right word?) by pissing the whole community of macforums off without saying anything intelligent....

affenage

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
As a somewhat *ahem* older Apple fan, I can tell you that your belief about Apple taking advantage of its customers and losing their client base is not likely going to happen. I do believe that Apple has fallen prey to over-rushing some recent releases, but as far as the industry goes, they certainly aren't the worst of the lot. But Apple learned its lesson about losing its client base. When I first started out in my career, no one used anything BUT Mac. Then Apple lost most of its innovative edge, and Windows came into being and stole the business. Apple as a company has fought long and hard to redefine their markets, their innovations, and their value. I just don't see them trending backwards. They aren't always going to be "best in class" - but they are always going to be "first in class". That's what the iphone is, and the ipod was - a new market. There is always going to be a market for "first in class" - and as long as they try and stay on the cutting edge, they will always have a market. The point is to get in first and sell like crazy. By the time the gadget dujour begins to fail, they will bring on the next innovation.
jmho
sue

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
i know you're frustrated, just as i and other iphone users occasionally are, but do i wish apple fall or crumble? no. why? because they've given us an amazing phone, albeit with many flaws and shortcoming, but it's the most fun phone i've ever owned, and i'll be patient enough to wait for them to fix the flaws.

i mean, a 16gb multimedia phone/ipod with great video, some great games and more on the way, the app store with all it's fun/useful/useless apps, the user interfeace which is the best on any phone, amongst other things that i love about this phone.

yes we want video recording, copy paste, MMS, a more stable OS, but NOTHING is perfect in this world my friend.

enjoy it for what it is, and if in a year or so a better phone does come out on the market, by all means switch providers and enjoy that phone too. i might join you, but for now the iphone is work in progress so we need a little patience.

i for one, see great things happening for the iphone, the possibilities are almost endless.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I'm reporting this thread. He's essentially trolling (would that be the right word?) by pissing the whole community of macforums off without saying anything intelligent....

grow up, the guy's just sharing his opinion.

trolling...we're becoming a community of nerds :rolleyes:

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
I really hope another phone does come out so the OP and all his whinning buddies with unrealistic expectations can go buy it and stop posting here. Then they can take crappy grainy video and send mms messages to each other all day long.

I've had mine since July 11, and have had very few problems. Reception has always been good, speed has always been excellent and no dropped calls. The few small problems, keyboard lag and contact lag were taken care of.

Being an exPalm user it had it's share of crashes and buggy apps. it also had next to no customer support.

Jayden0606

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Bergen County, NJ
With all of Apple's antics lately, the lack of attention that they've been giving the iphone and the could-care-less attitude it seemingly has for it's customers (which is only getting worse). I'm really starting to wonder if this is the begining of the end for Apple (or at least the iphone, maybe Apple itself is a stretch). Let's face it, they're getting extremely lazy with the lack of competition and are absolutely taking advantage of us at this point - they won't even answer our questions, and when they do they lie. No one product ever stays dominant forever and at this rate I'm guessing within a year a new phone will capture the interests of all of the pissed off prior iPhone lovers who will only then, finally say "up yours". If the Nokia Tube or Android phones are a hit, I'd break my contract in a minute, pay a $150 fee with a huge smile, and I wouldn't look back to see how Apple reacts. I'm wondering how forgiving you all will be when that phone finally does come around. Assuming Apple says they're sorry and gives us everything they should have given us from day 1, would you stay loyal to the brand or get enjoyment out of watching them fall. Cause personally, and I hate to sound evil, but I'd love to watch them fall! I just can't take their lack of business ethics/morals anymore, it disgusts me!

Suppose I told you it's $175 (not $150), would you still have the same smile?

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
The sense of entitlement of the OP is nauseating... just look at his "poll". How is Apple "screwing" anyone? Because the iPhone isn't perfect and doesn't have every possible feature he/she wants?

is this thread for real? if Apple's digging their grave, than they're using stacks of thousand dollar bills for shovels. it really cracks me up- Apple has one event that isn't about the iPhone and people feel like they've been abandoned by their parents. the iPhone gets more attention than any product Apple's making right now. as buggy as 2.0 was, it was still leaps and bounds above any phone, smart or otherwise, on the market.

I agree. If anything, Apple has spent TOO MUCH time and energy on the iPhone ecosystem, and not enough on improving the Mac line.

I wonder if most people who bitch about iPhone never had a real smartphone, especially WinMO. Anybody who tells you that WinMo doesn't have as many or more problems than iPhone has had very little experience with them. Every WinMO and Blackberry I ever used had to be reset at least every 2-3 days if not several times a day (HTC TYTNII).

Call me a fanboi, but I just got my iPhone last week to replace my TYTN and I couldn't be more pleased. No way I'm ever going back. If the iPhone was lime green and smelled like feet, I'd still use it over WinMO because it's just that much easier/faster/better.

You are most likely hitting the nail on the head here. It's quite crazy in my opinion to be complaining about Apple not doing enough to correct/perfect the iPhone in light of the completely hands-off approach of most other cellphone manufacturers. Have this person seriously owned a Windows Mobile or PalmOS "smartphone" before for any length of time? I've put literally YEARS in to updating and maintaining Treo models. There are so many bugs, errors, and problems in Windows mobile 5.0 and now 6.0 that I don't even think Microsoft is even trying to fix them anymore. I used to reset my Treo 700 three or four times a day just due to crashing and lockups. The interface itself is terrible -- it's slow, laggy, and hopelessly complex. Between the small Treo screen and the interface's tiny elements made for a stylus, it's almost unusable.

People that don't have any previous smartphone/PDA/pocketPC/Palm experience have got to understand how much better the iPhone experience is, even with all the outstanding issues. I would NEVER go back. EVER.

*snip* .....Apple as a company has fought long and hard to redefine their markets, their innovations, and their value. I just don't see them trending backwards. They aren't always going to be "best in class" - but they are always going to be "first in class". That's what the iphone is, and the ipod was - a new market. There is always going to be a market for "first in class" - and as long as they try and stay on the cutting edge, they will always have a market. The point is to get in first and sell like crazy. By the time the gadget dujour begins to fail, they will bring on the next innovation. jmho
sue

I agree. Apple has come way too far now to give Microsoft ANY room to breath. They are NOT going to blow it this time! The smartphone and the "handheld computer/MID/UMPC/tablet/subnotebook" computer market is The Next Big Thing©, and they are planning to lead this revolution into the future, and I certainly believe they will do so.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
grow up, the guy's just sharing his opinion.

trolling...we're becoming a community of nerds :rolleyes:

And I respect that. But don't insult me. If you'd have looked at my previous posts, I simply requested that he support his statements with informational examples. When he completely ignored my request, I decided that all his posts were just uneducated rants against apple that did not help promote the iphone forums in any way. That, dear sir, is why I reported this thread (keep in mind, I didn't report him, as all members of macforums are vital to its success, but the thread alone).

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I don't know why people are defending apple until the end but some people ARE pissed off with apple.

When I took my 1st iPhone 3g in to Apple to look at it there was one guy ending his contract early, a woman sitting next to me complaining about her phone freezing and another 2 to 3 people waiting to be seen.

I can't believe the apple faithful have the audacity to say Symbian is less stable than the iPhone OS. I've been a Symbian user for years and I've never expreienced the crashes, freezes and restores I have had on the 3G.

The issues with the 3g do have the potential to put people off of Apples products.

Saying all that above, I've just written this reply with my 3g and no text freezing, no lag and no Safari crashes. Hopefully I'll start to feel the same about my iPhone that others are now it seems to be performing well!

theNEOone

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
NYC
I agree. Apple has come way too far now to give Microsoft ANY room to breath. They are NOT going to blow it this time! The smartphone and the "handheld computer/MID/UMPC/tablet/subnotebook" computer market is The Next Big Thing©, and they are planning to lead this revolution into the future, and I certainly believe they will do so.

I seriously hope not. I hate how apple puts shackles on its products and locks them down like nobody's business. They are absolute control freaks and if the next big thing is similar to the neutered and insular ecosystem of my iphone+itunes, you can count me out. Demand open systems and products people!!!!!!

=|

Evev12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Apple could have very easily released A COMPLETE iphone (with stereo bluetooth and all) from the day the very first iphone was released, BUT, if they did that, what would guarantee them a line of people waiting in line for the next iphone? If they did that they'd actually have to think of new ideas and be innovative, and that means working...why would they want to do that? Especially when they can just release a product with intentional shortcomings and SLOWLY give them to us one by one as each new phone rolls out - after all, their fanboys will defend them regardless which is basically giving them a license to be lazy. There's still a problem though, if they have to wait a whole year to give us one more meaningfull feature, what will wet our appetite for the next update? For the first few months at least, just getting the phone up and running (the way it should have at release) is apparently enough to keep the fans smiling. After that they'll just release little updates here and there, giving us some added capabilities that will also increase their itunes' sales, it's a win win situation. Following their historical trend, I'm guessing next we might see the ability to download songs over 3G or finally stream podcasts. Speaking of which, didn't they just decline a developers' app which would allow us to stream podcasts? Their answer was because the iphone already did something similar. Way to be vague and dodge another question guys! Go ahead and keep trying to pull the wool over our eyes. And the thing that gets me is, when I complain about 25 "turn your phone into a flashlight apps" etc.. and the lack of purposefull apps, people actually praise Apple's whole app system for being so open. Addressing an apple fanboy is like talking to a wall that's playing dumb! Anytime hackers can make your own product significantly better than your own company did is a sign of problems. And I don't know about your industries, but in my industry this doesn't fly. I'm not at leisure to hold back from my clients and intentionally give them a half completed product only so they get excited about a better one, or NEVER answer any of their questions. If I did that I'd be out of business. And I think all businesses are governed by transparent "laws", including Apple! This will come back an bite them - and the fact that a number of my co-workers have already made the switch to blackberrys verifies it. And when people in the creative field start buying blackberrys there's a problem - that's the core of the Apple.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Apple could have very easily released A COMPLETE iphone (with stereo bluetooth and all) from the day the very first iphone was released, BUT, if they did that, what would guarantee them a line of people waiting in line for the next iphone? If they did that they'd actually have to think of new ideas and be innovative, and that means working...why would they want to do that? Especially when they can just release a product with intentional shortcomings and SLOWLY give them to us one by one as each new phone rolls out - after all, their fanboys will defend them regardless which is basically giving them a license to be lazy. There's still a problem though, if they have to wait a whole year to give us one more meaningfull feature, what will wet our appetite for the next update? For the first few months at least, just getting the phone up and running (the way it should have at release) is apparently enough to keep the fans smiling. After that they'll just release little updates here and there, giving us some added capabilities that will also increase their itunes' sales, it's a win win situation. Following their historical trend, I'm guessing next we might see the ability to download songs over 3G or finally stream podcasts. Speaking of which, didn't they just decline a developers' app which would allow us to stream podcasts? Their answer was because the iphone already did something similar. Way to be vague and dodge another question guys! Go ahead and keep trying to pull the wool over our eyes. And the thing that gets me is, when I complain about 25 "turn your phone into a flashlight apps" etc.. and the lack of purposefull apps, people actually praise Apple's whole app system for being so open. Addressing an apple fanboy is like talking to a wall that's playing dumb! Anytime hackers can make your own product significantly better than your own company did is a sign of problems. And I don't know about your industries, but in my industry this doesn't fly. I'm not at leisure to hold back from my clients and intentionally give them a half completed product only so they get excited about a better one, or NEVER answer any of their questions. If I did that I'd be out of business. And I think all businesses are governed by transparent "laws", including Apple! This will come back an bite them - and the fact that a number of my co-workers have already made the switch to blackberrys verifies it. And when people in the creative field start buying blackberrys there's a problem - that's the core of the Apple.

I hope you also post on your keyboard's manufacturer's forum, complaining about lack of a return key. Maybe also complain to your grade school for not teaching basic paragraph structure. Didn't even read your post.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
What you may have to remember here, is that to create a brand new OS from scratch, takes a lot of doing. OK, the iPhone has OS X as it's base, but all the phone features have had to be written from scratch.
All the major mobile rivals have added features to their OS' incrementally over time.
Nokia, Sony Ericcsson, LG, Samsung etc, have had this opportunity for at least 10-12 years, and relative newer players to the party have jumped on the already established Win-Mo platform, to ease their ride.

I look as the PSP as an example. OK, it's not a mobile phone, but the way Sony added features to it's brand new OS over time, is similar to how Apple is going about things with the iPhone. Sony had to let the OS mature, as it was totally new, before adding extra features, which many owners demanded from the get-go.

So, basically, what I'm saying, is that most of those things that we want to be added to the iPhone, will be added - we just have to wait for 'em. :D

To be fair to Apple though, they have listened to some of the complaints, and have at least fixed some of them - adding search to contacts, losing the recessed headphone jack, allowing SMS texts to be sent to multiple people, adding mass move/delete in emails, etc.
I'm sure Apple is aware of all the issues at hand, but only have so much time to create and test them all. The result, is that some have been given higher priority than others.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Lack of attention to the iPhone?

Have you even HEARD anything about the iPod touch before the Let's Rock event?

It very clearly appeared to me that Apple didn't care at all about their iPod touches. It seemed as though everything was the iPhone.

The March 6th event and WWDC both barely mentioned the iPod touch except that the firmware was coming to that device too (for a fee).

The SDK is called the iPhone SDK. The iPod touch basically had no ads or commercials.

The iPhone was the only device getting all the attention.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
It takes a pretty long time to patch holes in a firmware. It isn't just like a mistake and it takes 45 seconds to fix. It takes days to fix a small problem and weeks to fix major problems. I can't think of a product that is sold to the masses that has firmware updates weekly. Noticed I said FIRMWARE updates, not just regular updates. Please name one that receives multiple firmware updates a month and maintains this routine for an unprecedented time, say three months. My PS3 gets firmware updates like once a month. My router gets firmware updates once a quarter. My motherboard gets firmware updates when they make a breakthrough. Cameras get firmware updates very few times.

The only thing people should be angry about, and this is specular because this month is not up yet, but the fact we do not have background notification processes yet on the iPhone. Apple has not promised us anything else besides what is already known. Apple has not once said they will be adding firmware updates frequently, nor adding many speculated rumors to said firmware. We will probably never see half of the things people want to see in the iPhone. I want my iPhone to do many things it can not, however I knew it couldn't/wouldn't be able to do the things I wanted, but I bought it anyway. You know why, because the iPhone is a great phone. It is a PHONE. iPHONE. People will continue to buy it because it is versatile.

(Didn't read the whole thread, but getting sick of threads who bash Apple.)

DaZe3

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
Well the Instinct and dare came out... And they don't compare to the iPhone.. So I dunno man

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
Buggy 2.0? Yea....but they released 2.1, so its not like they ignored that, so I'm not really sure what your issue is.

I don't agree with the poster, but 2.1 still has a serious bug for those of us who use smart playlists -- the iPhone does not transfer play counts or last played dates back to iTunes. :mad:

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Imagine if HTC decided to make their own OS from scratch... They be having just as much trouble in adding these 'basic' features. I suspect Google will experience some of the same things too.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
It takes a pretty long time to patch holes in a firmware. It isn't just like a mistake and it takes 45 seconds to fix. It takes days to fix a small problem and weeks to fix major problems. I can't think of a product that is sold to the masses that has firmware updates weekly. Noticed I said FIRMWARE updates, not just regular updates. Please name one that receives multiple firmware updates a month and maintains this routine for an unprecedented time, say three months. My PS3 gets firmware updates like once a month. My router gets firmware updates once a quarter. My motherboard gets firmware updates when they make a breakthrough. Cameras get firmware updates very few times.

The only thing people should be angry about, and this is specular because this month is not up yet, but the fact we do not have background notification processes yet on the iPhone. Apple has not promised us anything else besides what is already known. Apple has not once said they will be adding firmware updates frequently, nor adding many speculated rumors to said firmware. We will probably never see half of the things people want to see in the iPhone. I want my iPhone to do many things it can not, however I knew it couldn't/wouldn't be able to do the things I wanted, but I bought it anyway. You know why, because the iPhone is a great phone. It is a PHONE. iPHONE. People will continue to buy it because it is versatile.

(Didn't read the whole thread, but getting sick of threads who bash Apple.)

I understand everything takes time, and believe it or not I am patient - I wouldn't even have posted this thread if that were simply the case, but the lack of a lot of these features/capabilities are just marketing decisions, and could easily be implemented now. All you have to do is jailbreak it and you've opened up the phone (and improved it) considerably - that's proof. Tethering, streaming video/podcasts, video recording, etc.. can and ARE working on the phone as we speak and are doing so with great stability (from what I've seen). Apple just won't include them right now because they're intentionally reserving them for the next update/version of the phone - it's part of their marketing approach, as it helps maintain anticipation. Besides the marketing aspect, their firmware updates are also released in an attempt to thwart jailbreaking and bring an extra level of added security to the phone, so it's a double edged sword. As far as your other devices are concerned, they don't need to release upgrades anywhere near as often as Apple because it's unecessary - they released the product PROPERLY the first time (with all of their intended features already implemented) and constant updates would do nothing (or very little) to improve those devices.

To the OP: Yeah the instinct and dare didn't impress anyone much, nor did they bring much competition to the market, but I also wasn't expecting a lot from them. I want to see the big hitters bring something new to the table, like the Blackberry Storm or Nokia Tube. Right now RIM and Symbian have the most stable UI's in my opinion. I also have some nice hopes for Android (even though the phone's looking pretty ugly right now).

According to Apple's stock, it looks like they have been on a downward trend, and a pretty big one. Look at the past 3 months, which would reflect their figures from their 3G release. Grant it, there are thousands of reasons why they could be on the decline (the market itself being a huge possibility), but I really think that people are getting fed up. Between co-workers and friends that either wanted or originally purchased the iphone, I'd say ~ 7-10 of them ultimately decided on another phone or returned theirs, and another 5 or so also purchased a BB so they can swap the SIM between the 2.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
ProTip - the thread starter is the OP. Anyhow ...

A lot people around here act like Apple "owes" them something. Here's a quick breakdown for you:

You bought X. X is X. If you want Y, X won't satisfy you. If X gets better over time, good for Company A. If X doesn't get better, and you feel slighted, you move on to Company B.

Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.