Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to forgive Apple when the iphone finally get's beat out?

• Yes, I love my Apples and always will.

Votes: 150 89.3%
  • No way, they've screwed me, screw them!

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters

alphadog00

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
How about a 3rd option between absolute love and absolute hate? The truth is that new products will come out with more/better features - be it from a competitor or a next gen iPhone.

I would have picked a less polarized option. I really like my phone, it is not perfect, but i have none of the major issues others report. I want some missing functionality that should be there, but that doesn't make me feel that i have been screwed and I should screw them.

Everyone had 15 days to return their iPhone, and everyone knows that first revs of a product have issues, so everyone had other options.

Additionally, why do people say that jailbreaking their iPhone voids their warranty? It is always possible to put the old firmware back, and since this is not any kind of hardware hack I don't quite agree. If you went in and said that your phone is acting flaky with Cydia, then Apple could turn you away, but if you walk in with Apple software/firmware, they have NO way of knowing you jailbroke your phone.

If it did turn into a brick, how would they know it was jailbroken? With DFU mode, you can bypass software issues and load Apple software every time.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
How about a 3rd option between absolute love and absolute hate? The truth is that new products will come out with more/better features - be it from a competitor or a next gen iPhone.

I would have picked a less polarized option. I really like my phone, it is not perfect, but i have none of the major issues others report. I want some missing functionality that should be there, but that doesn't make me feel that i have been screwed and I should screw them.

Everyone had 15 days to return their iPhone, and everyone knows that first revs of a product have issues, so everyone had other options.

Additionally, why do people say that jailbreaking their iPhone voids their warranty? It is always possible to put the old firmware back, and since this is not any kind of hardware hack I don't quite agree. If you went in and said that your phone is acting flaky with Cydia, then Apple could turn you away, but if you walk in with Apple software/firmware, they have NO way of knowing you jailbroke your phone.

If it did turn into a brick, how would they know it was jailbroken? With DFU mode, you can bypass software issues and load Apple software every time.

What if it stops responding with the pineapple boot up? It isn't that easy. The return policy is 14 days and 10% restocking fee.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Pretty pleased with Apple's service:
-After 30 days Apple is the only company that will replace your phone in store. Granted that it is only at the Apple Store, but try replacing any other phone under warranty at any service provider. After 30 days you have to send it to a warranty center.
-There has been plenty of updates and "fixes" since the phone was released. How is that ignoring their customer base? I know we have all been waiting for copy and paste but it will come.
-The App Store was a great idea, and the way it is regulated by Apple and AT&T has its pros and cons.
-Bluetooth Stereo Headsets? There are many complains already about the battery life. Its like the first iphone, which didn't have 3g because the battery could not last long enough.
-The iPhone has revolutionized the industry look at all the other phones that are trying to copy it. Remember this is Apple's second phone and its beating companies that have been producing phones since the first cell phones arrived on the consumer market.
- Price...look at the Blackberry Bold, its subsidized price with a 3 year contract 300+

Apple Support:
-I have sent my macbook in twice for repair work and never paid a dime even outside of my one year Applecare.
-Jobs gave me $100 back fro reducing the price of the original iphone. Has any phone manufacture done that?

My concerns are with AT&T not the iPhone, and I worked for them selling iPhones.

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
What are these miracles products people are buying, that are leagues ahead of the iPhone?

I don't know about you, but I've bought many things for way more money that have given me way more headaches than the iPhone does or has.

But, please, enlighten us - What phone manufacturer(s) have "done the job properly" and released a bonkers nigh-flawless problem-free multi-function phone right out the gate?

You're kidding me right? You can't think of any phones that have had less problems at release than the iPhone?

How's about the N95? That was far more usable straight out of the box than the iPhone, and cost a he'll of a lot less too.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
You're kidding me right? You can't think of any phones that have had less problems at release than the iPhone?

How's about the N95? That was far more usable straight out of the box than the iPhone, and cost a he'll of a lot less too.

I wrote this whole thing out about what the iPhone does that the N95 doesn't from a content management perspective and UI perspective and software and everything else, but what's the point, you know? I'm not here to "convince" you of anything.

Here's the thing I guess -- the iPhone is a whole different animal than the N95 (or blackberry, or whatever else with lots of buttons and lights and tweakable everything and so on). If that's the kind of phone you're into, you're never gonna be happy with the iPhone homey.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I wrote this whole thing out about what the iPhone does that the N95 doesn't from a content management perspective and UI perspective and software and everything else, but what's the point, you know? I'm not here to "convince" you of anything.

Here's the thing I guess -- the iPhone is a whole different animal than the N95 (or blackberry, or whatever else with lots of buttons and lights and tweakable everything and so on). If that's the kind of phone you're into, you're never gonna be happy with the iPhone homey.

When and where did Aurial mention anything about features of other phones and how those features compare to the iPhone? When did he say he wants customizable everything from the iPhone? He simply stated he wants a working phone. You need to quit making stuff up just to defend Apple.

I agree 100% with him. The iPhone 3G should have, quite simply, been delayed. 2.0.X was a disaster and a step backward from what they were offering previously. It was the buggiest of all the versions released by Apple.

2.1 does a good job and looks to be receive many positive reviews. Seems as if Apple has ironed out the real nasty bugs that plagued the iPhone 3g with this update. This current software is what the iPhone 3G should have shipped with from day 1. It obviously wasn't ready and Apple should have waited instead of rushing the phone to the market.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
to apple die hards, the quality has dropped.

For the average consumer. The iphone is still the hot phone.

You are not the average consumer. Live with it.

alphadog00

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
What if it stops responding with the pineapple boot up? It isn't that easy. The return policy is 14 days and 10% restocking fee.

Actually, getting the phone into DFU mode and forcing it to take a new firmware is pretty easy - and I don't load the pineapple image anyway. I go back and forth between jailbroken and not.

Newbies should not be jailbreaking anyway.

As for the restocking fee, i consider that a cost of doing business. I don't really blame them for doing this as it cuts down on buyers regrets and makes people really play with it to start with.

I made 4 trips to ATT to play with and test the iPhone before I bought it. I am not a fanboy, and I wanted to make sure it would do all the things i needed. Later, i did discover some shortcomings, but I was perfectly willing to pay the $20 (or $30 for 16GB) for using the phone for 2 weeks.

I bought crappy electronics in years past and decided to do more research upfront to avoid buying crap again... so i spend extra time reading reviews and playing with things before I buy them. And I make sure i know if there is a return policy or not.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I have a problem with the two options for votes. I would never pledge undying love for any company. So I can't vote for that option. I don't feel screwed and so I can't vote for that option. Life isn't always about extremes.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Considering the MobileMe and now the iPhone 2.1 mail debacle, I have to agree with the OP.

I am going to have to get rid of my iPhone because mail no longer works, and I am not the only one. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1708956&tstart=0

The MobileMe mail outage occurred while I was just in the middle of finding a new job.

It seems that when I really need my apple products to work they fail.

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
I think the iPhone is a total revolution in the phone market. Think about it this way, how many windows based phones have been released? Hundreds, Apple have only made two and I think they are great I love my iPhone! You cant honestly expect every brand new item to work 100% there is only so much testing that can be done in a lab. I do think the 2.1 software should of come out earlier aor they should of had 2.1 as 2.0 and releasing mobile me at the same time as iPhone 3G was a big mistake but apple have accepted and apologized for the screw up and I think they have learned from there mistake.

Its a shame when companies like apple do there best to bring out great products and when they do everyone soon forgets how ground breaking the iPhone and pointing out all they little mistakes. You dont go out with a person on the first date and bring to her attention all the things you dont like about her/him you appreciate the good things. So stop complaining its not the end of the world.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Um...don't most or all bluetooth stereo headsets have wires between the earpieces?That means you'd still have wires hanging out your ears.

That seems to be your #1 complaint.
If you like them good for you but all the ones I've seen look incredibly dorky,plus it's a second battery to worry about.
I suppose it would be nice to have the option,but ,like video recording,I think it's something almost no one would use.

Oh,and your poll is a very stupid joke.Talk about loaded questions.
Life is very short.Maybe too short to be consumed with so much anger over a PHONE?

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Apple have made such an amazing phone! Does it need to have loads more attention?

Come one, they released the APP STORE! Updates and more!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.