Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I wouldn't be so sure. Bummer, I live in Canada six months of the year so unlocked is the only option for me.
aTGUtg9.png

X1KF8ee.png

qH05m4R.png

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I just got clarification from Apple: "We will not be offering unlocked- full priced devices at launch for this product release."

This includes the T-Mobile Contract free version. Maybe buy it and get T-Mobile to unlock it for you...?

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I just got clarification from Apple: "We will not be offering unlocked- full priced devices at launch for this product release."

This includes the T-Mobile Contract free version. Maybe buy it and get T-Mobile to unlock it for you...?

How does that jibe with the fact that the contract free T-Mobile option is on the iPhone 6 store site already?

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
How does that jibe with the fact that the contract free T-Mobile option is on the iPhone 6 store site already?

You are confusing unlocked with contract free. The iPhone for T-Mobile sold on the Apple website is contract free, meaning it costs full price, but the phone will still be locked to T-Mobile's network only

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
It is not unlocked period.

I fell for this last year wherein I read a bunch of speculation on contract-free=unlocked. Landed up at T-mobile thinking I was getting an unlocked 5s at full price. Not until later when I put another SIM did I realize that the phone is not unlocked.

After 2 months of calling CS and communicating with corporate did I get an unlock code after the store I bought it at searched through paper boxes for me to find the original receipt and I sent it to corporate.

It was the biggest hassle and considering I paid full price for it just wrong. Maybe they are trying to discourage people from buying from their inventory and not using their network.

I suppose one could buy their locked phone and take up a small plan like the $30 one and submit documentation immediately and get the unlock code. It takes about 4-5 days.

rmchale

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
It is not unlocked period.

I fell for this last year wherein I read a bunch of speculation on contract-free=unlocked. Landed up at T-mobile thinking I was getting an unlocked 5s at full price. Not until later when I put another SIM did I realize that the phone is not unlocked.

After 2 months of calling CS and communicating with corporate did I get an unlock code after the store I bought it at searched through paper boxes for me to find the original receipt and I sent it to corporate.

It was the biggest hassle and considering I paid full price for it just wrong. Maybe they are trying to discourage people from buying from their inventory and not using their network.

I suppose one could buy their locked phone and take up a small plan like the $30 one and submit documentation immediately and get the unlock code. It takes about 4-5 days.

Did you buy from Apple or T-Mobile?

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Is the T-Mobile iPhone 6 from Apple unlocked?

I've seen so many mixed answers about this one. I am currently on AT&T and can't order an AT&T phone from Apple since I am on a business plan and it won't let me past the subsidized upgrade screen. I was sure that the "contract-free" iPhone 6 was unlocked until I started hearing talk about it being locked. It seems like this is my only option if I want to pre order the phone, so if it does come locked to T-Mobile, how easy will it be to get it unlocked from them?

rmchale

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
T-Mobile iPhones bought from the apple store came factory unlocked.

Can't say the same for T-Mobile iPhones bought from a physical T-Mobile store.

So the question remains what about pre ordered online?

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Did you buy from Apple or T-Mobile?

I bought from T-mobile and that was the mistake. On launch day a local t-mobile store had it in stock. The line at the Apple store was insane so I bought it at T-mobile. I realized later that was a huge mistake.

So I guess I could pre-order through Apple this time even though I don't have a T-mobile postpaid account?

Surferdude44

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
Here we go again. Let's try to set the record straight. I am an international airline pilot. I always buy unlocked iphones because I have about a dozen sims from various countries that I pop in as soon as I land. (More on that later). FYI, ALL iphones sold anywhere on the planet are unlocked.....EXCEPT THE USA. That being said, last year I purchased an iphone 5s from APPLE, not tmobile, and it was unlocked. I put in my TM sim and I was off and running. Three days later I was in Hong Kong and I put in my CSL sim and it worked fine. Now, the key here is that you must buy the phone from Apple and not Tmobile. If you buy from TM, it will be locked to them. However, here is the kicker. Last November TM started an international global plan that includes unlimited data and text. Calls made from overseas to the USA or anywhere are 20 cents a minute. Receiving calls when you are overseas are 20 cents a minute. This is their Simple Plan and it cost me $60 per month. Unlimited domestic and international data and text. Unlimited domestic talk time and 20 cent per minute overseas talk time. Viber is of course free and I use it all the time overseas with a 3 or 4g signal. I've never paid extra to talk when I'm overseas. Any questions, I'll be happy to answer. btw.....I tossed all my foreign sims. Never need to use them again since I have the TM global plan.

icrot

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
So I guess I could pre-order through Apple this time even though I don't have a T-mobile postpaid account?

it would be best bet. if it's not REALLY UNLOCKED, you can always return them easy as it's contract-free.
bring a nano SIM card (non t-mobile if you can find one) with active data plan & activate the IP6 you just bought with your SIM. if you can't pass the activation step (like on IP 5 or other), then return it.

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Here we go again. Let's try to set the record straight. I am an international airline pilot. I always buy unlocked iphones because I have about a dozen sims from various countries that I pop in as soon as I land. (More on that later). FYI, ALL iphones sold anywhere on the planet are unlocked.....EXCEPT THE USA. That being said, last year I purchased an iphone 5s from APPLE, not tmobile, and it was unlocked. I put in my TM sim and I was off and running. Three days later I was in Hong Kong and I put in my CSL sim and it worked fine. Now, the key here is that you must buy the phone from Apple and not Tmobile. If you buy from TM, it will be locked to them. However, here is the kicker. Last November TM started an international global plan that includes unlimited data and text. Calls made from overseas to the USA or anywhere are 20 cents a minute. Receiving calls when you are overseas are 20 cents a minute. This is their Simple Plan and it cost me $60 per month. Unlimited domestic and international data and text. Unlimited domestic talk time and 20 cent per minute overseas talk time. Viber is of course free and I use it all the time overseas with a 3 or 4g signal. I've never paid extra to talk when I'm overseas. Any questions, I'll be happy to answer. btw.....I tossed all my foreign sims. Never need to use them again since I have the TM global plan.

I have to say that's a lot less headache than changing SIMs especially on an iPhone.

----------

it would be best bet. if it's not REALLY UNLOCKED, you can always return them easy as it's contract-free.
bring a nano SIM card (non t-mobile if you can find one) with active data plan & activate the IP6 you just bought with your SIM. if you can't pass the activation step (like on IP 5 or other), then return it.

Great idea once you have one in hand you have the ability to exchange for a true unlocked version. So I guess i will pre-order through Apple a t-mobile version.

munir.usman

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
How to Unlock T-Mobile Contract Free iPhone 6

I just talked to T-Mobile rep on phone. In order to unlock Contract Free iPhone 6/6+, you have to do following after purchase:

1 - Use T-Mobile for at least 40 days before unlocking
2 - Load/Utilize at least $100

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
I just talked to T-Mobile rep on phone. In order to unlock Contract Free iPhone 6/6+, you have to do following after purchase:

There is a lesser known method of faxing a receipt to them showing full price paid. At least there was. I had this issue with them last year and they are so finicky about unlocking that I would never buy a phone from a T-mobile store ever.

Surferdude44

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013

That's if you buy the iphone 6 from tmobile. Like I said before, if you buy it from Apple, it's already unlocked.

lovelybai

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Since iphone5,
tmobile model from apple store is always unlocked.
Apple does not always admit this for their reason. They call it contract free at the beginning and after a few months they call it unlocked.

Also, ATT bought in store at full price (no such choice online) is also unlocked.

Apple might change these but seems likely. there is hardly a way to make sure because apple is always vague about unlocked when they sell a new iphone

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've seen so many mixed answers about this one. I am currently on AT&T and can't order an AT&T phone from Apple since I am on a business plan and it won't let me past the subsidized upgrade screen. I was sure that the "contract-free" iPhone 6 was unlocked until I started hearing talk about it being locked. It seems like this is my only option if I want to pre order the phone, so if it does come locked to T-Mobile, how easy will it be to get it unlocked from them?

Yes it's unlocked

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
So if I buy the T-mobile no contract iphone 6 from Apple directly, I can just pop in a Verizon nano sim and "everything" will work? No missing bands, or CDMA/LTE (Yes I am just vomiting words I don't fully understand). :D

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So if I buy the T-mobile no contract iphone 6 from Apple directly, I can just pop in a Verizon nano sim and "everything" will work? No missing bands, or CDMA/LTE (Yes I am just vomiting words I don't fully understand). :D

No Verizon won't work. Even though the phone is unlocked and technically the same phone, Verizon does not allow non Verizon specific phones to access their network. It would only work with T-Mobile and AT&T.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It says UNLOCKED on the Apple website:

[url=http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/IBJanky/misc/iphone6_zps2af4351e.jpg]Image[/URL]

The prices on the bottom are for the contract-free/unlocked T-mobile phones.

I'm pre-ordering one once available. Just have to decide between the 6 or the 6+ :D

An apple rep told me earlier they won't sell them unlocked of any model for preorder initially. He said he checked the system fwiw maybe the prices shown are when they begin to which the rep said they would just not for preorder. I guess well have to wait and see. I know the last thing I want to do is buy a tmobile carrier locked phone that I'd have to return and re-purchase.

----------

Does this contradict it being unlocked? I just want to be sure before pre-ordering.

(src: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone6)

It looks like it does to me.

----------

That's what they told me so it looks like I'll be hitting up an AT&T store or via online. I'm kind of scared to buy online through them though, anybody with experience on previous preorders? Good or bad do you get your phone on release day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.