Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thanks for the response.
So if I buy the T-Mobile "unlocked" phone from the onsale on Apple - then I CANT use it on Verizon? So why is that if the phones technically all work on both networks?

It's because Verizon will not activate phones on their network unless it's already in their database as a "Verizon" phone. Even if it's a compatible phone, they refuse to activate it as a matter of policy.

rodgui

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Doubts and more Doubts

Hello everyone, fine?

I travel constantly for various countries and I will try to buy iphone 6 T-Mobile (Contract-Free) in the week of September 19 to September 29.

But I have some doubts, that I hope you help me:

- After read this link: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588 , if I understod correctly, even in this case paying full price (contract-free) in Apple Retail Store we have to pay another $ 100 for request unlock?

- If I buy iPhone 6 in physical Apple Retail Store or Apple Store Online the phone will be unlocked to use other carriers immediately?

- Is there a difference in buying the iphone physical store (Apple Retail Store) or online store (Apple Store)?

- If I do pre-order iPhone, choose ship to Hotel and it came locked, Can I return/refund in Apple Retail Store?

Sorry by my poor english.

nampmuj

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
I have some doubt.

Take out the T-Mobile SIM that comes with it and put in your AT&T SIM. Then activate the phone. That's it.

I'm going with what duaneu said above and others who purchased T-Mobile Full Price (contract-free) phones from Apple in the past.

The T-Mobile Full Price (contract-free) iPhone 6 purchased FROM Apple will work on ATT.

So....
T-Mobile- Works
ATT- Works
Verizon- Won't Work
Sprint- ?

The T-Mobile Full Price (contract-free) iPhone 6 purchased FROM T-Mobile will not work on ATT, you will have to sign up for 40 days of service before they will unlock the phone.

Last edited:

rodgui

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
They tell people it's locked (to discourage the scalpers, I believe), but it's not if you buy it full price from Apple. And yes, if by some chance it did turn out to be locked, you have 14 days to return it for a full refund.

If I buy by Pre-order or Online Store, can I return it in Apple Retail (Physical Store)?

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Thanks for the response.
So if I buy the T-Mobile "unlocked" phone from the onsale on Apple - then I CANT use it on Verizon? So why is that if the phones technically all work on both networks?

If you are considering Verizon, then you should buy a Verizon iPhone, period. Just be aware that you cannot purchase a Verizon iPhone on a "device only" basis online -- only in-store and you have to request it. CDMA functionality is disabled on all iPhones, except those designated for specific CDMA carriers. And both Verizon and Sprint still use CDMA networks.

AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Because GSM is more of a global standard, it's active on all iPhones (although Sprint locks out GSM for domestic use).

GhostSeq

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
It's because Verizon will not activate phones on their network unless it's already in their database as a "Verizon" phone. Even if it's a compatible phone, they refuse to activate it as a matter of policy.

So - a follow up question. The page in Canada sells an unlocked phone - without a carrier altogether - but it says an unlocked phone may not be compatible with LTE networks in other countries. How does that relate with GSM or CDMA networks here in the USA if she brings that phone here to activate on a US provider?

dj4hir

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
iphone 6 T-Mobile unlocked

I have bought an iPhone for the past 2 years (5 & 5s) at full price because of still being in a contract. Not sim free but AT&T option and they both have been unlocked, so I believe the T-Mobile iPhone 6 will be unlocked.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
The customer service reps have no idea...most say that it's locked to T-mobile but no contract.

I'm going to try for it anyway (I'm on AT&T). If it doesn't work, I'll take it back. That being said, I'm 99% sure it will be unlocked like all previous years.

That and whoever CSI'd the order page and found the device type details helps back up this theory :D

rmchale

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I'm going with what duaneu said above and others who purchased T-Mobile Full Price (contract-free) phones from Apple in the past.

The T-Mobile Full Price (contract-free) iPhone 6 purchased FROM Apple will work on ATT.

So....
T-Mobile- Works
ATT- Works
Verizon- Won't Work
Sprint- ?

The T-Mobile Full Price (contract-free) iPhone 6 purchased FROM T-Mobile will not work on ATT, you will have to sign up for 40 days of service before they will unlock the phone.

Hopefully this post helps.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1637205/

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
It's Confusing

I purchased a T-Mobile "contract free" phone at the T-Mobile store with my 5S and the phone was LOCKED. They said you could call after 30 days and they would unlock it.

They told me if I went to the Apple Store and purchased the phone there, it would be unlocked.

I'm wondering if that is the same for the 6?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Geez, reading this thread makes my head hurt. Will we ever see the day where we can just buy the phone we want and go to whichever carrier gives us the best deal - $x per month, no confusing plans, subsidies, upgrade schemes, etc.

Every thread that has to do with pre-ordering, pricing, plans, etc. turns into a 40 page back and forth where we still don't know the answer.

This is almost as fun as deciphering my Comcast bill.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Geez, reading this thread makes my head hurt. Will we ever see the day where we can just buy the phone we want and go to whichever carrier gives us the best deal - $x per month, no confusing plans, subsidies, upgrade schemes, etc.

Every thread that has to do with pre-ordering, pricing, plans, etc. turns into a 40 page back and forth where we still don't know the answer.

Comcast bills....they are the worst.

From my experience, here is what I know:

Verizon iphones are unlocked, period. Last year I bought my 5s from verizon, and have since then used it on att and tmobile.

Att will unlock your phone if you have paid it off (not sure how long you need to use it with them first, probably 30-40 days). This was verified with my current phone, an lg g3, that i am now using on tmobile.

A tmobile iphone purchased from tmobile is locked. Why? Because they have the jump plan, where you pay monthly until you pay the phone off. Once you have paid the phone off, assuming you have used it on tmobile for a minimum of 40 days, they will unlock it. Period. So if you buy an iphone from tmobile on launch day...you need to have a tmobile account.

If you buy a tmobile iphone from apple, it is unlocked. It will work on tmobile, att, and other smaller carriers. It will NOT work on verizon or sprint. Why? Because verizon and sprint have a ridiculous policy where the phones you use have to have been purchased from, or designated for their network.

GhostSeq

macrumors member
May 10, 2013

Couldnt agree more!!
Best post here. :)

nampmuj

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
I purchased a T-Mobile "contract free" phone at the T-Mobile store with my 5S and the phone was LOCKED. They said you could call after 30 days and they would unlock it.

They told me if I went to the Apple Store and purchased the phone there, it would be unlocked.

I'm wondering if that is the same for the 6?

Your problem was you bought it AT the T-Mobile store, which requires 40 days of service before they will unlock the phone.

To receive an unlocked T-Mobile "contract free" phone you MUST purchase from Apple, online/or instore.

GhostSeq

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Comcast bills....they are the worst.

From my experience, here is what I know:

Verizon iphones are unlocked, period. Last year I bought my 5s from verizon, and have since then used it on att and tmobile.

Att will unlock your phone if you have paid it off (not sure how long you need to use it with them first, probably 30-40 days). This was verified with my current phone, an lg g3, that i am now using on tmobile.

A tmobile iphone purchased from tmobile is locked. Why? Because they have the jump plan, where you pay monthly until you pay the phone off. Once you have paid the phone off, assuming you have used it on tmobile for a minimum of 40 days, they will unlock it. Period. So if you buy an iphone from tmobile on launch day...you need to have a tmobile account.

If you buy a tmobile iphone from apple, it is unlocked. It will work on tmobile, att, and other smaller carriers. It will NOT work on verizon or sprint. Why? Because verizon and sprint have a ridiculous policy where the phones you use have to have been purchased from, or designated for their network.

ok - so what if someone bought this: truly unlocked phone in Canada from Apple store
http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-iphone/iphone6

It also says: "
An unlocked iPhone 6 may not support LTE networks in all countries; contact service providers for details. "

So what carriers can someone buying this phone go to if they move to the US? It sounds like they cant go to any CDMA carrier cause on another page it says it wont work but will work on GSM - but where does LTE come into play there. What carriers can someone buying an unlocked phone in Canada use if they move to the USA?

rwbmke

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
T-Mobile unlocked or ATT Next for upgrade?

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction or provide me with some pros/cons of each option. My contract with ATT isn't up until 10/3 but I'd like to be able to pre-order iPhone 6 on 9/12. I am eligible to upgrade on ATT Next plan (and would probably pay off the phone as soon as possible) or purchase full price T-Mobile from Apple online store (assuming it comes unlocked). If I purchase T-Mobile unlocked can I put my current ATT sim in and start using right away (even though my contract isn't up until 10/3)? I'd also consider switching to T-Mobile if their service is decent in my area.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

MartyXB

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
On brother, I think I will wait a week or two before I buy my 128gb iPhone 6 Plus. I waited this long, I can wait a wee bit longer until I know EXACTLY how things work. We are looking at close to a thousand bucks here.

I want a phone unsubsidized/unlocked that I can take at ANY point in time to ANY carrier and establish service. There is a price war brewing among the carriers and DO NOT want to be locked down, neither by carrier nor by phone, and want to be able to switch to "the winner" (for as long as that may be).

GhostSeq

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
On brother, I think I will wait a week or two before I buy my 128gb iPhone 6 Plus. I waited this long, I can wait a wee bit longer until I know EXACTLY how things work. We are looking at close to a thousand bucks here.

I want a phone unsubsidized/unlocked that I can take at ANY point in time to ANY carrier and establish service. There is a price war brewing among the carriers and DO NOT want to be locked down, neither by carrier nor by phone, and want to be able to switch to "the winner" (for as long as that may be).

From what I am learning it doesnt seem like that is possible - at least where Verizon and Sprint are concerned right?

But I think waiting a little bit to see how things go is a smart decision.

munish

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Here you go . Iphone 6 plus for Tmobile won;t be unlocked even if you pay i full

Here you go . Iphone 6 plus for Tmobile won;t be unlocked even if you pay i full

Attachments

• phone.png
    phone.png
    169.5 KB · Views: 3,405

MartyXB

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
From what I am learning it doesnt seem like that is possible - at least where Verizon and Sprint are concerned right?

But I think waiting a little bit to see how things go is a smart decision.

My problem is that I have Sprint devices and AT&T devices. They are at the moment loosely coupled in that both are unlimited data and carrier locked. On the iPad side I am very happy with my unlimited LTE data for $29.95. AT&T has been good almost everywhere. AT&T has been graciously allowing me to keep this golden plan as I upgraded my iPad. Don't know how long this will continue and if it stops and I have to do data sharing I will need to slide over my data capable devices to them.

Verizon, never had them see no reason why I would in the future. They are not an active participant in price wars, get pulled in begrudgingly and still has the highest price.

Sprint, been with them for a while (10+ years). Always seems to have the best price, slow, and was looking for a point to leave them especially now that I am contract free. With 5 iPhone 4S I invested quite a bundle and can appreciate the need for device portability among carriers. I would like to be able to drift between AT&T, TMobile and Sprint but cannot at the moment spring for 6 iPhone 6s.

I will be cautious since even though I am buying one phone this time I will slowly be upgrading them all and dont want to make the wrong choice just to have the bragging rights that I received my phone on the first day.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
So I talked to three Apple online reps. All three said the contract free T-mo phone from the pre-order page will be locked to T-mo. <-- Hopefully this is untrue.

I asked if I could purchase an AT&T full at full price without a contract at launch in the store, since I'll be using AT&T anyway....two reps said no, one said yes.

FML hahah...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.