Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
autopilot said:
well anyone CAN get a gun; it isn't legal here though (handguns i mean).

you can get beer at your corner store? is that just an ontario thing then? :confused: (quebec you can, i remember.)

You can't in Saskatchewan, but I know you can in Alberta.

EDIT: ohh yah.. I meant the beer thing.

macbing

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2004
Totalshock said:
My guess is here.

Or, if you wish to be optimistic about it...

Is the Phil really Canadian? I thought he had that look in his eye. :)

Here are my predictions:

-Apple will announce the Music Store later this week, but not go live until January 1st - giving away free songs to everyone at Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto at Midnight and Various other gatherings around the country (my sources tell me that Steve Jobs and Phil will be arriving in Steve's 1968 VW Microbus to the New Year's Eve celebrations in Barrie to personally turn on the system with radio Personality Al Brown of Rock 95 downloading the first song).

-Apple will start selling gift certificates and pre paid cards this week for the Christmas rush.

Dessert Whip

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2004
B.C., Canada
autopilot said:
c'mon... are you saying you wouldn't want the rights to buy beer at the corner store and to keep a gun under your pillow? ;)

Beer? That coloured (notice the u) water you've been buying's not beer my friend. Beer has alcohol in it. :) ....and guns under your pillow are for scared people. The only thing I fear is people with guns. Vicious circle.

Gear_media

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2004
Edmonton, AB
autopilot said:
well anyone CAN get a gun; it isn't legal here though (handguns i mean).

you can get beer at your corner store? is that just an ontario thing then? :confused: (quebec you can, i remember.)

Handguns are perfectly legal to own though you have to have them registered etc and have a license to transport them off your property. The restrictions (and there are quite a few) are listed here : http://www.canadianfirearms.com/info_for-renseignement/factsheets/prohibited_e.asp . The laws are different if you're of native decent as well.

Beer? yeah... there's a liquor store about 40 paces from my front door. Liquor stores are private in AB. AFAIK everywhere else besides Quebec and AB has Public (read: government run) liquor stores.

macbing

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2004
Gear_media said:
Beer? yeah... there's a liquor store about 40 paces from my front door. Liquor stores are private in AB. AFAIK everywhere else besides Quebec and AB has Public (read: government run) liquor stores.

BC has both - it's a strange drunken dog eat dog world out here.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Gear_media said:

BC has both public and privatized liquor stores. Stores can now be licensed to sell liquor in addition to wine and beer.

freechris

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2004
geese

autopilot said:
c'mon... are you saying you wouldn't want the rights to buy beer at the corner store and to keep a gun under your pillow? ;)

aah come on.. like guns and beer is all there is.
i live in holland,

here you can get weed in the supermarket oke?
not that i would ever think about getting some.

Eaon

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
reckless_0001 said:
You can't in Saskatchewan, but I know you can in Alberta.

EDIT: ohh yah.. I meant the beer thing.
Well, yes and no. Alberta liquor stores are privatized, so there are a bazillion of them, so you don't have to go far to find one, but it's not the same as buying beer at the 7-11 along with all your other snacking needs as I've seen other places I've travelled.

nawk

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Mac Central Story

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/12/01/cdnmusic/index.php

Here is the text:

Apple Computer Inc. confirmed for MacCentral on Wednesday that the Canadian iTunes Music Store has been delayed. Company representatives declined to comment on a specific timeframe for the store, but said in a statement that it would be very soon.

"We said that we would launch the iTunes Music Store in Canada by the end of November, but we're going to miss this deadline by a bit," Apple said in the statement given to MacCentral. "You'll hear from us very soon."

Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced that the Canadian store would open in November at the iPod event in October that also launched the EU iTunes Music Store, which added Austria, Belgium, Finland, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Portugal and Spain to the countries that already had the music store in Europe (United Kingdom, France and Germany).

There was no indication from Apple on what caused the Canadian iTunes Music Store not to open as scheduled.

Crazydoc

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2004
Posted at MacCentral.com

Canadian iTunes Music Store postponed

By Jim Dalrymple jdalrymple@maccentral.com

Apple Computer Inc. confirmed for MacCentral on Wednesday that the Canadian iTunes Music Store has been delayed. Company representatives declined to comment on a specific timeframe for the store, but said in a statement that it would be very soon.

"We said that we would launch the iTunes Music Store in Canada by the end of November, but we're going to miss this deadline by a bit," Apple said in the statement given to MacCentral. "You'll hear from us very soon."

Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced that the Canadian store would open in November at the iPod event in October that also launched the EU iTunes Music Store, which added Austria, Belgium, Finland, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Portugal and Spain to the countries that already had the music store in Europe (United Kingdom, France and Germany).

There was no indication from Apple on what caused the Canadian iTunes Music Store to open as scheduled.

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
Eaon said:
Well, yes and no. Alberta liquor stores are privatized, so there are a bazillion of them, so you don't have to go far to find one, but it's not the same as buying beer at the 7-11 along with all your other snacking needs as I've seen other places I've travelled.

Are you sure? When I was travelling through Alberta to go to a gig in NWT, we stopped at a Ma & Pa store and loaded the bus up with Snacks, Beer and Liquor.

Eaon

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
reckless_0001 said:
Are you sure? When I was travelling through Alberta to go to a gig in NWT, we stopped at a Ma & Pa store and loaded the bus up with Snacks, Beer and Liquor.
Well, I'm pretty sure, having lived here all my life and all. :) I can assure you that I've never been in a single 7-11/Winks/Macs/etc in Calgary or Edmonton that sells alcohol. Ma & Pa stores in Butt F*** Alberta may be different just because they're the only game in a small town, but I'm telling it like I see it here in the city.

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
Yah, How about we talk about the non-existance of Labatt Lite in B.C. but a ton of Kokanee. Don't get me wrong, I love Kokanee. But when I went to B.C. my buddies couldn't find it anywhere.

autopilot

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2004
Toronto
nawk said:

new topic: define "a bit." :)

Onishenko

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
reckless_0001 said:

Yes. As an Albertan resident all my life, I know the only place you can get beer is at the privatized liqour stores. Only the US and other places can you get beer at "the corner" store. Such as the local 7/11. If you did get it from a Ma and Pa store...maybe it was a small hick town, and they were doing it illegaly. But aside from that...no.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
reckless_0001 said:
Yah, How about we talk about the non-existance of Labatt Lite in B.C. but a ton of Kokanee. Don't get me wrong, I love Kokanee. But when I went to B.C. my buddies couldn't find it anywhere.

There's a number of bad beers missing in B.C. They tried to bring in Molson's Export a while ago and it failed miserably.

OTOH stuff like Maudite and Le Fin Du la Monde sells rather well. You might want to take that as an indication of our tastes :D

If you want a beer in BC and can't find it anywhere else, just go to a Fogg and Suds. Their beer menu is about 6 pages. But I'll tell you right now if you go to F&S and order a Labatt Lite, well I can't bear to think of what would be done to you.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Onishenko said:
Only the US and other places can you get beer at "the corner" store.

Montreal -- where any 15 year old can walk into a 7/11 and buy a case of beer on the way to the peelers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.