Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about Apple's handling of features for the iPhone and OSX?

• I think its great. I want my OSX to be more simplified like iOS and I like how my iPhone is.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • I don't like it. I wish my iPhone would get more features from OSX instead.

Votes: 97 42.0%

• Total voters

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
So...you don't want to choose the default browser, text editor, etc on your phone? Really?

You don't want to upload from a web browser on your phone either I take it and just hope "there's an app" for what you need to upload?

I can go on and on and on...

I hate to say it but it's insulting that this thread was even started.

For starters, iOS was built FROM OS X. And yes all though we expect some functionality to transition from OS X to iOS it doesn't have to be right away. For now let them bring features to OS X and refine the OS.

People have been voting for years with their wallets, the way Apple is going with iOS works otherwise they wouldn't be making billions. Now that Jobs is gone I'm sure Cook will add his own twist to this process. It's just a waiting game.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I hate to say it but it's insulting that this thread was even started.

For starters, iOS was built FROM OS X. And yes all though we expect some functionality to transition from OS X to iOS it doesn't have to be right away. For now let them bring features to OS X and refine the OS.

People have been voting for years with their wallets, the way Apple is going with iOS works otherwise they wouldn't be making billions. Now that Jobs is gone I'm sure Cook will add his own twist to this process. It's just a waiting game.
How many years do you think we should wait for these basic features?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
How many years do you think we should wait for these basic features?

They're not "basic features" that EVERYONE would use. You, select members of blogs and MacRumors would use a filesystem. There are all ready TONS of apps that handle pretty much everything you'd need from PDF/docs to Music and such downloads. Pages for Documents, Adobe Reader/iBooks for PDF's, Winzip for Zips, etc.

Apple is trying to do away with the native Finder in OS X .. and you're complaining they haven't implemented it into iOS? I guess I should be asking you how many years till my iPhone has a floppy drive? How about disc tray?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Why? You'll need to open those specific apps to use/edit/create the files anyways.
Which is what file associations and a filesystem would be for. To look at your files all in one place without needing to find the app first.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Which is what file associations and a filesystem would be for. To look at your files all in one place without needing to find the app first.

Again I've stated this before. Not only is Apple trying to transition from the finder style Filesystem but filesystems are DATED.

When I want to create a PDF I know where to go. When I want to FIND a PDF, I also know where to go. Same thing goes for pretty much every file type.

I don't need a list of "ALL" of my files, nor does the average consumer. When I need a specific file I go by what the extension is and move on from there.

In iOS we don't NEED a filesystem. When we go hunting for a file we know which app it's associated with. It's that simple.

Last edited:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I was a mac user long before the iPhone came out. As such I am a little concerned with the idea of my macs losing some of their functionality in favour of Apple's idea of iOS simplicity. I like my iPhone but if I were to blend anything from the two platforms I'd much prefer it to be more mac features on the iPhone instead of the other way around.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
In iOS we don't NEED a filesystem. When we go hunting for a file we know which app it's associated with. It's that simple.

Average consumers DO NEED a file list, it would be much simpler to open files(sorted by extensions). To open a file simply touch the file. That's the simplicity.
when you hunt for a file, you should not be made to hunt for a particular app. It makes it more cumbersome, i guess.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Again I've stated this before. Not only is Apple trying to transition from the finder style Filesystem but filesystems are DATED.

When I want to create a PDF I know where to go. When I want to FIND a PDF, I also know where to go. Same thing goes for pretty much every file type.

I don't need a list of "ALL" of my files, nor does the average consumer. When I need a specific file I go by what the extension is and move on from there.

On iOS we don't NEED a filesystem. When we go hunting for a file we know which app it's associated with. It's that simple.
Lol yes and "apps" are the future, right? Not dated at all. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't have to look for the app for each file. People don't open up Word to open up a file. They look in the folder they saved it on and its nearly always the same one as the rest of their files. The rest of us actually have specific folders for certain files, etc.

Really, you're just reciting marketing talk from Apple, who wants you to think of your device as a magical app board rather than a computer.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
You'd think Apple would make an effort to port features from OSX to the iPhone, such as a filesystem, default program selection, Messaging that supports multiple protocols, etc but instead, we see OSX inherit the same features on iPhone that frankly, don't suit everybody's needs.

Anybody else get this sick feeling in their stomach when their computer is acting more like their phone and their phone barely gets features from their desktop counterpart?

You must be easily insulted.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
You'd think Apple would make an effort to port features from OSX to the iPhone, such as a filesystem, default program selection, Messaging that supports multiple protocols, etc but instead, we see OSX inherit the same features on iPhone that frankly, don't suit everybody's needs.

Anybody else get this sick feeling in their stomach when their computer is acting more like their phone and their phone barely gets features from their desktop counterpart?
Ever since they announced that iOS 5.1 will be the final software update Apple will ever make then I've also felt sick to my stomach that every new iPhone will be stuck with the exact same features that we have today.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Lol yes and "apps" are the future, right? Not dated at all. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't have to look for the app for each file. People don't open up Word to open up a file. They look in the folder they saved it on and its nearly always the same one as the rest of their files. The rest of us actually have specific folders for certain files, etc.

Really, you're just reciting marketing talk from Apple, who wants you to think of your device as a magical app board rather than a computer.

You must be easily insulted as you take anything everyone says in one of your threads (unless they agree with you) as a personal attack.

I think you need to switch platforms. Try Microsoft Windows.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

Ever since they announced that iOS 5.1 will be the final software update Apple will ever make then I've also felt sick to my stomach that every new iPhone will be stuck with the exact same features that we have today. :eek:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
You must be easily insulted as you take anything everyone says in one of your threads (unless they agree with you) as a personal attack.

Where did I identify or imply that anything you said was a personal attack?

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico

Tell him to try Linux instead. He'll have lots of fun using the terminal to fix bugs in the OS.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Ever heard of something called "jailbreaking". If you're looking for added features, it's the way to go. Apple will do what they want. I agree that the iPad should have more powerful options, but the iPhone is a totally different story. The reason that the iPhone was a success was because it didn't overcomplicate simple tasks like previous "mobile" OSes had.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
Ever since they announced that iOS 5.1 will be the final software update Apple will ever make then I've also felt sick to my stomach that every new iPhone will be stuck with the exact same features that we have today. :eek:

Really?? That would really suck man! can you plz share a link to the story? thnx

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Good point, but is the iPhone gaining functionality from OSX in return? Hardly.

You're right, iOS has gained nothing from OS X.

Except maybe the kernel. And the web browser. The iCloud infrastructure which has to run on a server platform. The core image rendering functionality. The fact that everything from Apps to iBooks require a Mac to even exist.

Naw, iOS has gotten nothing from OS X...

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
What are you talking about? Have you even read the options? It's pretty much:

a) I'm satisfied with how the iPhone is progressing. Nothing needs to be changed.
b) I'm not satisfied with how the iPhone is progressing. I wish more features from OSX would be integrated into the iPhone.

I mean really, this isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Just because I mention OSX doesn't change that the poll is trying to get at whether you want iOS to be more like OSX or not.

I completely agree.

I have 2 apps that act as a file system and neither one of them links to all other apps so documents can be shared.

It's not a big feature request to be able to save a file in one app, open it with another, email it with another, edit it with another... just like Mac OS X

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Filesystems are on their way out.

They'll never go away fully...after all, its how any system (including iOS) is run

They're being hidden however, made unnecessary for all but the people designing things. Your average consumer doesn't need them, and doesn't understand them. Look at lion/mountain lion, and even look at windows 8. Both apple and Microsoft realize that's the way things are moving.

----------

It's not a big feature request to be able to save a file in one app, open it with another, email it with another, edit it with another... just like Mac OS X

this is already possible to an extent, and will become moreso, but it isn't being done in the traditional way (not wit ha "file system").

Users want to move things between apps, but they don't want to figure out where the files are stored and move them themselves. This is the point of share sheets in ios apps (and why they're being brought to ML). An app tells the system what types of files it can take. Then, whenever you have a file open you want somewhere else, you hit the share sheet button, choose what app you want it in, and boom, it's there. No saving, finding the file, opening the other app, dragging, and droppin. No opening the new app, hitting open, and navigating through the file system to the file you want

It allows all the same things, but it is a whole lot easier. I don't know why everyone is complaining about it.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
The Mac is not losing any functionality, in fact, it's actually gaining some!
Beat me to it. I'm not seeing functionality removed from the Mac. I'm seeing things being added and mainly to tie up the synchronicity between your Mac and your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.

I can go on and on and on...
We noticed...

Average consumers DO NEED a file list, it would be much simpler to open files(sorted by extensions). To open a file simply touch the file. That's the simplicity.
when you hunt for a file, you should not be made to hunt for a particular app. It makes it more cumbersome, i guess.
Problem with that is that there are so many third party apps available for the different file extensions. I could download say 5 or 6 PDF readers and then theres the mess of selecting a default one, if the default one isn't the one you want as default you have to have settings menus for all known file extensions to select the correct default application. Horrendous on a phone. Manageable on a Mac/PC.

People want OSX on the move, get a Macbook Air or any form of Macbook. A phone shouldn't be a full blown computer, just a mere extension of it while you're out and about.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
This is a badly constructed poll. It's like asking, "Do you think Newt Gingrich/Barack Obama/George Washington/etc. is more like a)a child molester or b)a rapist?"
Come up with a real poll that isn't so biased

:) Funniest thing I have read in a while! Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.