Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
25.000 songs

iTunes Match is limited to 25,000 songs.

iTunes Store purchases made with the same Apple ID being used for iTunes Match do not count towards the 25,000 song limit.

Unmatched content will be uploaded as is; upload time varies depending on the amounts uploaded and local network speeds.

Song files over 200 MB will not be uploaded to iCloud.

Songs containing DRM (Digital Rights Management) will not be matched or uploaded to iCloud unless your computer is authorized for playback of that content.

Songs purchased outside of the United States iTunes Store containing DRM (Digital Rights Management) will not be matched or uploaded to iCloud.

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
Thanks for the info. Didn't know about that.

I'm still not able to activate it in iTunes (German store) as the option simply is not there, but I just realized I do have the iTunes Match item in my iTunes bar on the left side on the screen. See screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 13.50.11.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 13.50.11.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 110

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
NOTE -

For all those who were hoping itunes Match would update your music that is DRM Protected or iTunes+, Apple will not allow you to update these via Match... in otherwords you need to cough up on itunes+ to unlock the tunes for them to be uploaded to itunes Match!!!

Use Smart playlist to check what music you have that is Protected AAC or look at itunes +

It is also worth creating a smart playlist for music that has a Bit rate less than 256, once these tracks have uploaded to the cloud delete and download again at the increased 256BR

rochford

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2009
so part from having too much music, its working for you?

Well I guess the points to take from that are:
• No, it's not working;
and
• whatever too much music means, I reckon there's many, many out there with a whole lot more music than me. But that's not the point. The system shouldn't stop because of too much music.

I'm the kind of person the music industry need, loves music, and buys CD's. First vinyl of 1800 in 1966, first CD of ~3000 1981. Started iTunes adding in 2001. Still prefer the real thing (ie an object with a cover, booklet) than a download. And of course that's where Apple want me to buy from them rather than Amazon.

Wicker

macrumors regular
May 11, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
NOTE -

For all those who were hoping itunes Match would update your music that is DRM Protected or iTunes+, Apple will not allow you to update these via Match... in otherwords you need to cough up on itunes+ to unlock the tunes for them to be uploaded to itunes Match!!!

Use Smart playlist to check what music you have that is Protected AAC or look at itunes +

It is also worth creating a smart playlist for music that has a Bit rate less than 256, once these tracks have uploaded to the cloud delete and download again at the increased 256BR

Using the smart playlist method mentioned above, how can you exclude VBR files that are under 256?

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Using the smart playlist method mentioned above, how can you exclude VBR files that are under 256?

would you not want it to show those that are under 256 to get them upgraded to 256?

But you can choose different filters.. below a speed or above or set it yourself.

Splutterbug

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2005
London
Good to know it's on the way, when its official and they start actually advertising it I'll sign up, at the moment it looks like somone made a mistake and is in the process of having there arse kicked.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I'm remaining optimistic. Looks like everything's in place for a UK release... we just need someone at Apple to hit the "official" big red button to roll it out properly!

Fingers crossed for having it released before the end of the day
I agree with you. I reckon that Apple is midway through the process of setting things up. I’ve bought and paid for mine, I’d be very very surprised if Apple has made a mistake given that people have had their accounts charged.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
In the UK it is still allowing people to subscribe be it a little more hidden, I would have thought if this was a mistake you would not be able to subscribe at all now.

I have also had an iTunes reciept now for the purchase of itunes match along side the the itunes match confirmation email...

jpitcairn

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
I have my match confirmation E-mail too but theres no Match options in the sidebar or on the store. I'm in the UK too.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I normally jump all over updates and new features, reading the comments so far, I think I will sit this one out for a while and see what happens.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
I normally jump all over updates and new features, reading the comments so far, I think I will sit this one out for a while and see what happens.

There is nothing wrong with the service other than its not fully operational, and to be honest.. Apple never said it was. The only thing they have done wrong is allow people to subscribe early.

Agreed it shouldnt have let people pay, but at the same time it was sort of hidden away. And those of us that have subscribed to it... are just waiting for something new to play with (and for some to moan about).

All good comes to those of us who wait, and normally at a much higher exchange rate lol

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Give it time. It's still not working 100% in the US after a month.

This. Trust me, you don't want it any time soon. I have to say I'm disappointed that they expanded the rollout before working more of the bugs out.

That's false, I was able to update all my old 128 DRM purchases using match. The service has been a mess overall but probably worth $25 (one time) just to do that upgrade and lose the DRM.

There is nothing wrong with the service other than its not fully operational

Sounds like you haven't used the service? There's a ton wrong with it, one of the buggiest things I've seen apple release. Wrong matches with no way to fix them or force an upload, tons of issues on iOS including smart playlists being broken in a couple different ways. They really need to fix a lot of things, some will probably get fixed but I suspect some of the problems never will. I wouldn't be surprised if the service ends up being a flop and discontinued after two or three years, it seems like MobileMe all over again.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
This. Trust me, you don't want it any time soon. I have to say I'm disappointed that they expanded the rollout before working more of the bugs out.

That's false, I was able to update all my old 128 DRM purchases using match. The service has been a mess overall but probably worth $25 (one time) just to do that upgrade and lose the DRM.

Sounds like you haven't used the service? There's a ton wrong with it, one of the buggiest things I've seen apple release. Wrong matches with no way to fix them or force an upload, tons of issues on iOS including smart playlists being broken in a couple different ways. They really need to fix a lot of things, some will probably get fixed but I suspect some of the problems never will. I wouldn't be surprised if the service ends up being a flop and discontinued after two or three years, it seems like MobileMe all over again.

If you had actually read the post prior to the one commented on you would have seen what was said in full. Which was that anyone who purchased DRM Music outside of the US store will not be able to upgrade it or even upload it to itunes match.

Get off your high horse, and try and be more constructive. And for the purpose of shutting you up, I have been using itunes match on a US account from when it was first rolled out to developers.

For the most, these post are for those who have recently signed up and not those already using the service in the US. As this service has not been given the green light in the UK to start accepting orders how could it be a bad service? A Mistake they took subscriptions yes...

Just becuase you may not like the service, or it isnt working for you it doesnt mean it wont work for others. If you hate the service so much and mobile me, why dont you just stop using the service and the clould and contact Apple Executive Relations and ask for a refund.

Apple like all companies has issues, not all good and not all dealt with the way we would like them to be. But with a customer base the size of Apple its never gonna be 100% perfect at launch, Apple noted that Mobile Me was not the best, and evolved the service much more than other companies have done and in the end made the service free.

Before posting wish wash comments mouthing off at people, read the thread in full and read the support document on apple support site.

By all means post the issues you have had but just becuase you have had issues don't shout down everyone else or think that everone else will have the same issues.

We may not have iTunes Match in the UK yet but for the most of the post from the UK users on here at least we know how to action brain before mouth!

Source for my comments were found here:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/in-the-cloud/

And on a personal note, the only issue I have had with itunes match on my US account is mainly down to me and the meta data I entered on ripped CD's and the crappy broadband speeds we have in the UK.

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Apple released a service, and it has bugs. When someone points out the problems I'm not sure why you'd take it so personally and get so emotional about it.

If you had actually read the post prior to the one commented on you would have seen what was said in full. Which was that anyone who purchased DRM Music outside of the US store will not be able to upgrade it or even upload it to itunes match.

Considering you didn't mention outside the USA or quote another post, I'm not sure which of the 153 posts before yours you're referring to (yes I did read the whole thread) or how anyone is supposed to know that. And the statement that Match isn't a substitute for doing the "plus" paid upgrade just isn't true, it works fine. If you were talking about purchases made from different stores you should have included that in your post.

I have been using itunes match on a US account from when it was first rolled out to developers.

Thanks for clearing that up, but that doesn't change the fact that your posts were wrong.

Just becuase you may not like the service, or it isnt working for you it doesnt mean it wont work for others.

I wasn't talking about personal preference, I was referring to the bugs that are present for 100% of users. Just because you haven't encountered the bugs doesn't mean they don't exist.

On an iOS device, do smart playlists limited to a certain number of songs follow that limit?
Can you use smart playlists that reference other playlists with Match?

No, you can't. If you haven't had problems then you haven't had problems - that's not the same as "there's nothing wrong with it" when the latter is demonstrably false.

Source for what comments specifically?

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Apple released a service, and it has bugs. When someone points out the problems I'm not sure why you'd take it so personally and get so emotional about it.

Considering you didn't mention outside the USA or quote another post, I'm not sure which of the 153 posts before yours you're referring to (yes I did read the whole thread) or how anyone is supposed to know that. And the statement that Match isn't a substitute for doing the "plus" paid upgrade just isn't true, it works fine. If you were talking about purchases made from different stores you should have included that in your post.

Thanks for clearing that up, but that doesn't change the fact that your posts were wrong.

I wasn't talking about personal preference, I was referring to the bugs that are present for 100% of users. Just because you haven't encountered the bugs doesn't mean they don't exist.

On an iOS device, do smart playlists limited to a certain number of songs follow that limit?
Can you use smart playlists that reference other playlists with Match?

No, you can't. If you haven't had problems then you haven't had problems - that's not the same as "there's nothing wrong with it" when the latter is demonstrably false.

Source for what comments specifically?
Oh dull as dish water and about as exciting

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
ok so its friday morning in New Zealand
an the option to join iTunes has ben taken own from the account info

The so calle bugs, are not a issue for me.
as more people join, these bugs wil be work out and fixed

people are forgetting that this is a new service, something that hasn't been tried before. by anyone.
there was always a chance that there would be bugs, no1 not even apple say it would be perfect from the word go.

people who go in, and expect it to be perfect an there won't be any issues at all. are a bit silly, yes Apple are expected to put a new system out that works perfect, but it won't happen. no matter how much people think it will.

every new update, hardware, service will have its teething issues, iOS.5, Mac OSX lion, iPhone 4S etc etc

i know that theres bugs, but i will be paying for the service, its good at the moment, and can only get better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.