Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fossicker

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2004
johnnyjibbs said:
Actually, it's only €0.99 a track, and the tax is included, unlike in the States. It's marginally more expensive because of the strong Euro and weak US dollar.

Right. I think the best way to compare prices is using the "big mac" index -- http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml -- how many songs can you buy for the cost of a mcdonald's big mac.

U.S. 2.65/.99 = 2.68
Canada 3.20/.99 = 3.23
Ireland 2.75/.99 = 2.78

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
iTMS still a rip off in Europe

iTMS Music Prices, Normalised to US Dollar

Canada: $0.80
US: $0.99
EU: $1.30
UK: $1.48

Now the EU and UK prices will include local taxes, but remove the tax from the UK one and it is still $1.26

That's a $0.46 difference PER SONG. $4.60 for 10 songs. That's not insignificant. And who can explain such a difference? The servers are all the same. The processing fees can't be that much different, if they are at all.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
swissmann said:
I'm just glad we didn't hear an infinite amount of rumors about this.

Yeah. It was kind of nice to actually be surprised by an Apple annoucement.

For me, MWSF has lost it's punch since TS let the cat(s) out the the bag. I'm sure there will still be a few surpirises left for Steve (hardware specs, software details, pricing). . . but the excitement has been killed.

min_t

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
City by the City by the Bay
ASP272 said:
Now if they could just get Evanescence, Metallica, and Fu-Schnickens on iTunes it'd be a perfect world. :) Oh yeah, and add all those other countries that are missing out, most notably Australia.

Didn't you hear. Metallica's lawyers work for the RIAA. Metallica is for profit, not for sharing corp. ;)

min_t

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
City by the City by the Bay
dontmatter said:
good, now the irish can buy local music in the form of the U2 boxed set, instead of just a bunch of americas....

on a more serious note, anybody know the list of countries itunes serves, and the list served by napster, M$, etc? Nobody compares to apple in countries total, for sure, but is apple's range covered by at least somebody PC based/ are there any major countries served by international music stores that itunes hasn't yet reached?

Itunes lists 20, napster&Micro, 2 (1 each). :p

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
All right prime countries left for iTMS:
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Poland (?)
Russia (?)
Australia
New Zealand
Iceland (?)
Japan
South Korea
Thailand
India (For M$'s tech support I always hear Chris Matthews complaining about on MSNBC)
China (assuming they allow this free market option)

*? = quesitonable cash income.
Am I missing anyone?

TrenchcoatJedi

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
NYC
ASP272 said:
Now if they could just get Evanescence, Metallica, and Fu-Schnickens on iTunes it'd be a perfect world. :) Oh yeah, and add all those other countries that are missing out, most notably Australia.

Metallica on iTunes? Not a chance. Might as well wait for snow in Singapore.

fonch

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2004
And I thought we Canadians were supposed to be calm and restrained individuals

Well done to all Irish iTunes Store desirers. I tend to think that in November a person trolling these forums would have thought the country would end if Apple didn't open their store here soon. In sharp contrast, after an even longer wait, you (for the most part) seemed to wait patiently. Congratulations on that, and enjoy the store.

lithium2177

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2005
Trowaman said:
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Poland (?)
Russia (?)
Australia
New Zealand
Iceland (?)
Japan
South Korea
Thailand
India (For M$'s tech support I always hear Chris Matthews complaining about on MSNBC)

Am I missing anyone?

Yeah, you missed iTMS Mexico!!

r_howie

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2005
Lisbon, Portugal
Trowaman said:
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Poland (?)
Russia (?)
Australia
New Zealand
Iceland (?)
Japan
South Korea
Thailand

Am I missing anyone?
Finland already has an iTMS.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
fossicker said:
Right. I think the best way to compare prices is using the "big mac" index -- http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml -- how many songs can you buy for the cost of a mcdonald's big mac.

U.S. 2.65/.99 = 2.68
Canada 3.20/.99 = 3.23
Ireland 2.75/.99 = 2.78

On Tuesdays, Big Mac's are $1.69 in the Toronto area..... it would be nice if Apple had a "discount tuesday" like at the movies.

Let's see....

1.69/X= 3.23
X = 1.69/3.23 = $0.52 cents per songs on Tuesdays.... not bad....

:D

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hattig said:

Now the EU and UK prices will include local taxes, but remove the tax from the UK one and it is still $1.26

That's a $0.46 difference PER SONG. $4.60 for 10 songs. That's not insignificant. And who can explain such a difference? The servers are all the same. The processing fees can't be that much different, if they are at all.

You also have to consider what the labels are taking from this. Bands contracts and income vary by country with their label. So the label may be taking more (or less) per country raising the price.

If i remember correctly apple makes about 9 cents per song (in the us and probably about the same elsewhere) and isn't too concerned with making money from the music store as it sells more ipods which theyre making at least 20% of when selling them directly. I worked for a retailer that sold ipods and cost on the 40gb (at the time) was $400 and we were selling them for $500 and the 15 gb cost us about $234. I'm sure they were making money on us so when they sell it directl theyre adding an additional 20%+ to their profit margins which is why theyre doing so well. Grand a large portion of their sales are from 3rd party retailers but even still id wager they are making 5-10% minimum

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
How much is a CD in your country? (Your currency and US currency?)

Stop the non-sense arguing and whining. Rules, taxes, organizations controlling copyrigths, etc. are different from counrty to country. :mad:

I bet Apple is responsible for the prices in music all over the world. :eek:

Hattig said:

syntrophy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2004
i'm still waiting for iTMS to reach my country is asia. doubt that will happen for at least half a decade. nope not japan. we've so many apple fans here.

pkis

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2004
Basel, Switzerland
Trowaman said:
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Poland (?)
Russia (?)
Australia
New Zealand
Iceland (?)
Japan
South Korea
Thailand

Am I missing anyone?

Yeah, Switzerland - but as Apple has no plans for opening one here, you can as well leave it off the list. An article in the "Sonntagszeitung" recently statet that Apple has never been in any kind of talks with the Swiss record labels and the copyrights organization SUISA (several representatives of these were cited as being surprised that Apple had publicly announced they were in talks about a year ago but nobody from Apple ever contacted them...) and is NOT planning on opening more European stores outside the Eurozone. Tough luck for Norway etc. as well, I guess.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Canada also includes the taxes... 99 cents.
Hattig said:

pkis

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2004
Basel, Switzerland
pkis said:
Yeah, Switzerland - but as Apple has no plans for opening one here, you can as well leave it off the list. An article in the "Sonntagszeitung" recently statet that Apple has never been in any kind of talks with the Swiss record labels and the copyrights organization SUISA (several representatives of these were cited as being surprised that Apple had publicly announced they were in talks about a year ago but nobody from Apple ever contacted them...) and is NOT planning on opening more European stores outside the Eurozone. Tough luck for Norway etc. as well, I guess.

In the meantime, btw, the first legal download service in Switzerland has already gone belly up - I received an e-mail from directmedia.ch last night, essentially telling me that they give up and sell their customer database to mycokemusic.ch. As there's close to no online-market existing in Switzerland, I really can't blame Apple anymore for not opening a store here. Switzerland's a developing country when it comes to buying online - the Swiss seem to have become notoriously web-weary. Which doens't really come as a surprise, considering the high prices in Swiss online-stores (much higher than in brick and mortar stores), the enormously expensive package prices courtesy of the Swiss postal service and the insane import taxes on goods coming from outside of Switzerland.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hattig said:
And who can explain such a difference? The servers are all the same. The processing fees can't be that much different, if they are at all.

But what IS different is exchange rates (varying day to day), local laws and taxes, and the legal agreements in regard to different artists, labels, and industry associations.

So there will ALWAYS be some variation in pricing of any product, if you shop for it around the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.