Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
coolfactor said:
Incorrect... Canada's 99 cents per song makes it the cheapest iTMS running. Not sure how they pulled it off, but they did, and we're loving it.

They didn't "pull" anything. Ever compared CD prices between Canada and the USA? Those poor bastards down there are paying through the nose for their CDs! (and DVDs!)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
oingoboingo said:
Steve, shouldn't you be doing a run-through of your MWSF keynote presentation, and not wasting time counter-trolling on Mac rumour boards? You might accidently get sued by your own legal department!

LOL, good one.

Although, it got me thinking: what if Steve Jobs really is a member on macrumors?! :eek:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Hattig said:
iTMS Music Prices, Normalised to US Dollar

Canada: $0.80
US: $0.99
EU: $1.30
UK: $1.48

Now the EU and UK prices will include local taxes, but remove the tax from the UK one and it is still $1.26

That's a $0.46 difference PER SONG. $4.60 for 10 songs. That's not insignificant. And who can explain such a difference? The servers are all the same. The processing fees can't be that much different, if they are at all.

This isn't about servers and stuff. This is about music industries in each given country. This isn't Apple's music, they're only the middle part in all of this.

Also, about your "Normalised to US Dollar" prices, see the "BigMac" reference (post #27).

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
rikers_mailbox said:
Yeah. It was kind of nice to actually be surprised by an Apple annoucement.

For me, MWSF has lost it's punch since TS let the cat(s) out the the bag. I'm sure there will still be a few surpirises left for Steve (hardware specs, software details, pricing). . . but the excitement has been killed.

Not for me. I mean, come on. Apple selling a 1GB iPod micro for only 179$US? A headless eMac for only 499$US? I'll believe it all only when Steve shows it on stage, on that huge screen.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Bakey said:
[...] and you're right, it's oh so easy to drop in the old stereotypes. I mean c'mon isn't it right that every American drinks Budweiser[sp?] what with it being "the King of beers"?? Again folks look beyond and you will find the sarcasm!!

:D

As a Canadian who doesn't even drink beer, I can attest that Budweiser is only beer-tasting water. ;)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
iChan said:
Aus/NZ & Japan and i'll be happy.

I'll be happy the day the artificial barriers crumble down... Currently you'd need like 20 credit cards with 20 mailboxes to be able to buy from every store! :eek:

And the Canadian iTMS isn't exactly full of Jean-Michel Jarre albums, either. :(

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
whooleytoo said:
Nope. I don't believe it. No way could iTMS Ireland be open. Just to prove it, I'm opening it now and... well ok, there's no warning screen. But there's no way it'll let me buy a song, buying now... well ok, it's let me download a song... But it definitely won't let me play the song.

WTF? It works! What am I going to complain about now?!?!?

About about 'them prices, eh?

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Oh beejeezus, saints be praised!

Thank god, they finally opened up the music store here. As was mentioned before ireland does get a bit of a bum deal in the mac department. I live in cork and even though we have a huge apple base of operations in cork city it's still very hard to get mac stuff bar one or two shops. Of course, these shops tend to be a bit overpriced.
Anyhow, good to see apple are being nice to us.
Oh and with regard to what we drunkards drink? Personally, i like a nice beer such as Kronenburg but for most of the people in my class, anything will do, as long as it contains ethanol.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Yvan256 said:
About about 'them prices, eh?

;) I'm ignoring the cost of all these tunes until I receive my first credit card bill. I could check it online, but this way I have a month to buy like a maniac before the bill arrives and I'm outraged at how expensive the songs are here!! :D

I was nearly tempted to buy an obscure song a few times, just to see if it would make it into the top 100!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Angelus said:
Thank god, they finally opened up the music store here. As was mentioned before ireland does get a bit of a bum deal in the mac department. I live in cork and even though we have a huge apple base of operations in cork city it's still very hard to get mac stuff bar one or two shops. Of course, these shops tend to be a bit overpriced.
Anyhow, good to see apple are being nice to us.
Oh and with regard to what we drunkards drink? Personally, i like a nice beer such as Kronenburg but for most of the people in my class, anything will do, as long as it contains ethanol.

Hooked on Erdinger myself, prefer weissbier to lagers.

How many Mac places are there in Cork? The only ones I can think of are the one in Penrose Wharf, Enterprise near the Kinsale Rd roundabout, and one of the photo shops (more of a Mac & iPod gadget shop now!) on Patrick St.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Behind the scenes...

Eaon said:
The original writeup had a timeline of every ITMS store and when it opened, except the Canadian one. :cool:
My fault. I wrote up the story but I couldn't remember whether the Canadian store opened on December 1 or December 2 until I went digging. So I posted it without including the Canadian store opening in order to get the news out, then added Canada as soon as I had the proper details (it opened Dec. 1), including a link to Apple's press release (which said Dec. 2), hoping there were no on-the-ball eagle-eyed members who would call me on it. :hides head in shame:

No slight to Canada intended.

min_t

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
City by the City by the Bay
whooleytoo said:
Nope. I don't believe it. No way could iTMS Ireland be open. Just to prove it, I'm opening it now and... well ok, there's no warning screen. But there's no way it'll let me buy a song, buying now... well ok, it's let me download a song... But it definitely won't let me play the song.

WTF? It works! What am I going to complain about now?!?!?

You're a nutcase. I like that :p

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
redAPPLE said:
so out of curiosity (not wanting to hijack the thread), what do many irish drink, if not guinness?

Guinness when in Ireland, Hefeweissbier when in Austria.

Finally. Great news. Now to see if they have what I want... *starts digging*

zapbranigan

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2004
billyboy said:
Instead of a free guiness with every song, could I have a free Corrs. I promise to buy every track in the store if so. :D

You can have Jim. We're keeping the rest of them.

After waiting and waiting for them to iron out that last minute glitch that prevented the October launch, I can't believe this has been up and running 24 hours without me noticing.

Kif, fetch my credit card, we have songs to purchase.

uncle_sam_ie

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2005
whooleytoo said:

How many Mac places are there in Cork? The only ones I can think of are the one in Penrose Wharf, Enterprise near the Kinsale Rd roundabout, and one of the photo shops (more of a Mac & iPod gadget shop now!) on Patrick St.
There's the apple store online. that's were I got my iMac. They need an Apple store in Ireland though. A photo shop on Patricks street or a PC world were the staff don't have a clue about Apple products is not the why to go (A PC worlds staff members answer to my question on why I should buy an iMac. Um, Um, it looks good!)
Ps I drink diet coke

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
well, in my opinion, spectra digital, where the Molly Malone statue is and O2 Experience are great places to get all your apple accessories and what not.

Anyway, i wouldn't really go to a retail store to buy a powermac or a cinema display... so i don't really care that these stores don't stock the powermac. I'd buy these items from Apple themselves.

I really hope an apple store comes to Dublin!

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
whooleytoo said:

Yeah you're right with the ones you named out. Think carphone warehouse have started selling macs now as well. It's still pretty hard to get stuff like software though. I always end up buying it on the net.
I remember going to the PC Superstore when it was open in cork. I was just browsing and i noticed this really old man shuffling up to the counter. He asked the sales assistant how much a powermac g4 was. The sales assistant started telling him how a pc would be better for his needs, blah, blah, only to have the old man reply with something to the effect of "son,i've been using macs since they first came out so i think i know what i need".

It brightened up my day. That old man was so cool. If there's one thing i can't stand it's computer salespeople with their jargon and misinformed opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.