Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
This good news, because Ireland was a strange omission from the European additions, and by slipping it in now that suggests that Apple has something else lined up for Macworld next week.

I'll put hard cash on the iTunes music store Australia/New Zealand opening (Aus/NZ would have to be opened together I think. We get grouped together for lots of things, although I expect our stores to be separate). Apple Australia are holding a special mystery event the same day as the keynote, and a couple of weeks ago there were two news stories (reported here as well I think) that Apple was trying to get itunes.co.nz and itunes.com.au off the people that had already registered them.

So with Ireland now quietly catered for, this all points to one thing: iTunes Music Store Australia/New Zealand, launch date Wednesday 12th January!!!

Can't wait!!

Zen

b-randomly

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2004
Ithaca, NY
AndreMA said:
I'd think that Brazil, South Africa, New Zealand and Argentina would be viable markets as well...

Actually, he already said New Zealand. But the other ones work two.

And to rebuff swissmann and rikers_mailbox, you're absolutely right about the rumors thing. It was nice when we'd get them a couple of days in advance, but this whole week stuff's got to go. Seriously, I like waking up at the crack of noon on a Tuesday (after spending all night on MacRumors), and hurrying over to Apple.com to check out their newest addition. TS has kinda sucked all the fun out.

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
Mo Money 4 ur musack...

Its a sad fact of life that pricing of music between countries is controlled by the music companies (bit silly calling them record companies don;t you think?). Apple's biggest problem is getting sign off from the music companies and the performing rights association in each country. its a legal quagmire and I would bet that Apple is probably skimming a bit more in countries where its legal costs have been higher to launch iTMS.

Also IMTS is based on well known price points (ask any retailer). So some of the difference when taking ex rates into account is moving the price to a price point. I mean $1.27 doesn't sound nearly as catchy as $1.49.. or it could be $1.52???

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
r_howie said:
Finland already has an iTMS.

yes, and thank god for that. given that finland is VERY SMALL market and sweden that is much bigger market doesn't have itms yet, one can easily think it's because we use euros and swedes stubbornly kept their own money like the britons. apple however couldn't afford leaving UK without music store despite the fact that they seem to love the 0.99/9.99 pricing scheme. there just wouldn't be a itms europe without an itms uk, so they had to make an exception they probably will not do in any other case. (why on earth do they not have an itms japan ???)

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
zen said:
This good news, because Ireland was a strange omission from the European additions, and by slipping it in now that suggests that Apple has something else lined up for Macworld next week.

I'll put hard cash on the iTunes music store Australia/New Zealand opening (Aus/NZ would have to be opened together I think. We get grouped together for lots of things, although I expect our stores to be separate). Apple Australia are holding a special mystery event the same day as the keynote, and a couple of weeks ago there were two news stories (reported here as well I think) that Apple was trying to get itunes.co.nz and itunes.com.au off the people that had already registered them.

So with Ireland now quietly catered for, this all points to one thing: iTunes Music Store Australia/New Zealand, launch date Wednesday 12th January!!!

Can't wait!!

Zen

Supposidly the Apple Australia event has now been restricted to Apple resellers. I'm not even sure if the press is going to be there. This could be a sign that Apple are planning to open a retail sotre in Sydney.

edit: this email was sent to many people who applied to go to the event.

"Thank you for your interest in this event.

Please note that the Macworld 2005 local Sydney event is for our
business partners only. Please accept our apologies for any confusion.
Following this event our business partners will be able to answer all
of your questions in relation to the Macworld conference. If you are
interested in finding out more information about Apple products then
please visit an Apple Authorised Reseller, call 133 622 or visit
http://www.apple.com.au The Macworld keynote presentation will be available
on the Apple web site shortly after the opening of the Macworld
conference in San Francisco."

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
Hattig said:
iTMS Music Prices, Normalised to US Dollar

Canada: $0.80
US: $0.99
EU: $1.30
UK: $1.48

Now the EU and UK prices will include local taxes, but remove the tax from the UK one and it is still $1.26

You're trying to transfer everything into a single currency. It's expensive to people outside of that country, but not within it. When I go to France I can't believe that it costs me nearly £1 for a can of Coke, when in England it costs £0.5, but it's completely different economies. It used to cost (I don't and haven't bought any singles in years) £4 for a single. That means you get one song with about 2 other crap songs on it. From iTunes, for those 3 songs it's £2.37. It is NOT expensive. And you'll find the same in other countries where item X costs more than others. If you convert the current British Pound, everything in America is so bloody cheap, but once upon a time it was £1 = $1 and during this era, it was the other way around

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
DPazdanISU said:
they should also send digital guiness pints per song to help make the irish feel more at home :cool:

Eh?! A pint of what? Ahhh, I get'ya you mean GUINNESS!!! :rolleyes: Is that "cold" or "regular"?? ;)

mazurka

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2004
DPazdanISU said:
they should also send digital guiness pints per song to help make the irish feel more at home :cool:

Why is it that every time Ireland is mentioned someone has to refer to Guinness? When the UK store opened we didn't say:"Hey, are they giving away pints of 'bitter' with every song to keep the English happy?"

Contrary to myth, not that many of us actually drink Guinness. Nor do we wear shamrocks in our lapels, or say 'Begorrah'.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
mazurka said:
Why is it that every time Ireland is mentioned someone has to refer to Guinness? When the UK store opened we didn't say:"Hey, are they giving away pints of 'bitter' with every song to keep the English happy?"

Contrary to myth, not that many of us actually drink Guinness. Nor do we wear shamrocks in our lapels, or say 'Begorrah'.

Instead of a free guiness with every song, could I have a free Corrs. I promise to buy every track in the store if so. :D

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
mazurka said:

so out of curiosity (not wanting to hijack the thread), what do many irish drink, if not guinness?

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
mazurka said:

:eek: What!!! And doesn't every Irishman/woman NOT say "oh bee-Jesus" and greet everyone with "top of the morning"???

I am of course saying this very much tongue-in-cheek... and you're right, it's oh so easy to drop in the old stereotypes. I mean c'mon isn't it right that every American drinks Budweiser[sp?] what with it being "the King of beers"?? Again folks look beyond and you will find the sarcasm!!

:D

mazurka

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2004
redAPPLE said:
so out of curiosity (not wanting to hijack the thread), what do many irish drink, if not guinness?

We drink pretty much what everyone else does. Just more of it.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
mazurka said:

My world has just crumbled.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
zen said:

Can't wait!!

Zen

Aus/NZ & Japan and i'll be happy.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
When irish ears are iTMSing...

Congrats to those of you on the ol' emerald isle! :)
As a fellow long time iTMS anticipator I know this is an exciting time for you, but you might be somewhat disappointed after searching through the US store like I did in the months before the Canadian iTMS opened. It seems that the US store has much more of the ‘fringe’ bands and singers that the CDN iTMS. :mad:
I was so excited to see all the songs offered by Matthew Sweet, and Henry Rollins (as a couple of examples), but when I search for the same artists on the CDN iTMS the listings are woefully pathetic (Henry only has one spoken word album, and Matthew only has a few tracks from compilations)! So yes you now have an iTMS, and that's great, but it might not be the same as the US store.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Nope. I don't believe it. No way could iTMS Ireland be open. Just to prove it, I'm opening it now and... well ok, there's no warning screen. But there's no way it'll let me buy a song, buying now... well ok, it's let me download a song... But it definitely won't let me play the song.

WTF? It works! What am I going to complain about now?!?!?

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Hooray!

I don't live in Ireland, but this has to be good news! Keep growing with the market share. The only thing I think Apple has to sort out with the record companies, and that is to make the entire library of each country available world wide, there is so much stuff out there worth listening too!
Even if it means paying an export fee (although rather not) on top of the usual track price of $0.99 of let's say $0.20... or what ever it translates to in other currencies, that surely should not be difficult to do?

Just an example: I am trying to get a hold of B.T. tracks in the U.K. but can't get them, although they are widely available on the US store..... :(

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
As a Canadian who waited MONTHS after MONTHS for the Canadian iTMS, believe me when I say: congratulations, you FINALLY got your iTMS too! :D

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
oingoboingo said:
Once again, iTunes is appreciably more expensive outside the United States. Must be all the postage and packaging to send those CDs international mail. Oh wait...

Except in Canada. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.