Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I feel like for most users, it's easiest to just press Restore in iTunes.

It will automatically fetch and download the proper IPSW.

A lot of "faulty" restores may be due to forum members not being sure as to which to download.

I'd rather have control over what i install, also going that way means a lot of people will hit update instead of restore, a clean install is better, that is also what PB is testing the JB on, chances are that remenants of the old furmware or OTA remain that way.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'd rather have control over what i install, also going that way means a lot of people will hit update instead of restore, a clean install is better, that is also what PB is testing the JB on, chances are that remenants of the old furmware or OTA remain that way.

If you press restore in iTunes, it performs the same restore process, regardless of if you shift/option click restore and select your own IPSW, or use the one provided by iTunes. Neither method is more "clean".

The only way to make sure it's "clean" is to DFU restore and then NOT restore from a backup, but that's often a hassle to everyone, and is only really necessary if your backup is really messed up.

But to each their own. Either way the computer still has to download the IPSW. It just seems like having those that aren't that well acquainted with jailbreaks manually downloading and installing IPSW is asking for numerous threads regarding restore issues because they select the wrong or a broken IPSW ;)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Couple questions

1) can I save 6.1 blobs with an iPad3 on 5.1.1 (can't remember if it was OTA'd or iTunes restored) on TU that will be valid? This is a parents' Ipad 3. Mine was on 5.1.1 via iTunes back last year and I have 5.1.1 and 6.1 saved even though I haven't restored my iPad3 to 6.1 (don't know that I ever will, it's running perfectly at the moment).

Also, just did an OTA update to both parents' phones and did an iTunes backup, iTunes restore, iTunes restore from backup and it pulled the photos but not the apps so I manually am redownloading all them, same with music.

Is that normal?

I don't want to fuss with the other parent's iPad mini and iPhone 5 (both OTA'd, mini OTA'd to 6.0.2 so far and iPhone 5 OTA'd to 6.1) with the same process if that's the case because I'm sure they will complain "something is different" than before I played with it. Would iCloud backup be a safer bet against having to manually get the rest of the info?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
If you press restore in iTunes, it performs the same restore process, regardless of if you shift/option click restore and select your own IPSW, or use the one provided by iTunes. Neither method is more "clean".

The only way to make sure it's "clean" is to DFU restore and then NOT restore from a backup, but that's often a hassle to everyone, and is only really necessary if your backup is really messed up.

But to each their own. Either way the computer still has to download the IPSW. It just seems like having those that aren't that well acquainted with jailbreaks manually downloading and installing IPSW is asking for numerous threads regarding restore issues because they select the wrong or a broken IPSW ;)

Almost, update is different than restore and DFU restore is best (3 different things), it overwrites the OS completely, the itunes content backup does not effect any of that, only thing that it brings back is the plist files for JB tweaks, otherwise no file structure change.

----------

so in my case....
which way better should i take..?
1. just Restore from the itune....or
2. take version ipsw from the web http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
plz need your help

either is fine, as long as you hit restore not update. I always use iclarfied IPSW, usualy they download faster as well, especially when it's busy at Apple shortly after a ne iOS version and everbody is updating.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Almost, update is different than restore and DFU restore is best (3 different things), it overwrites the OS completely, the itunes content backup does not effect any of that, only thing that it brings back is the plist files for JB tweaks, otherwise no file structure change.

----------

either is fine, as long as you hit restore not update. I always use iclarfied IPSW, usualy they download faster as well, especially when it's busy at Apple shortly after a ne iOS version and everbody is updating.

I said restore not update. Never said to use the update feature of iTunes.

ali3a

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
noob

hello...
i go to itune...first...i click Back up and than click Restore....success..!!
after that i click again restore back up...it's that ok
sorry newbiz...:confused::confused:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
some we'll see next week again when the JB isn't 'working'

a few we'll see back when they have deleted Cydia

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
some we'll see next week again when the JB isn't 'working'

a few we'll see back when they have deleted Cydia

Exactly.
And when everyone tries to install every single package on cydia and they have issues or get stuck at the apple logo cause they installed an incompatible package that wasnt updated yet for ios 6:D
And all other types of craziness. Good times:D

Exactly.
And when everyone tries to install every single package on cydia and they have issues or get stuck at the apple logo cause they installed an incompatible package that wasnt updated yet for ios 6:D
And all other types of craziness. Good times:D

So that's how you become a Demi-God! You copy/paste the answer to the same Jailbreak question 1,000,000 times in a week.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Devices that were OTA'd to a version previous to 6.1

(for example, iPad3 5.1 to 5.1.1 or iPad2 5.1 to 6.0 OTA)

and devices still with factory fresh software i.e. iPhone 5 on 6.0 **should but are not verified to work** with the blob saving system for 6.1? Is that correct?

...Is the battle in successfully saving the blobs or getting the TSS server and restore process to work? Or both?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Devices that were OTA'd to a version previous to 6.1

(for example, iPad3 5.1 to 5.1.1 or iPad2 5.1 to 6.0 OTA)

and devices still with factory fresh software i.e. iPhone 5 on 6.0 **should but are not verified to work** with the blob saving system for 6.1? Is that correct?

...Is the battle in successfully saving the blobs or getting the TSS server and restore process to work? Or both?

It's all and APTicket and RAM-disk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.