Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Jobs said:

“It is in Apple’s DNA that technology alone is not enough—it’s technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the results that make our heart sing.”

Nowadays the problem is not so such that technology is alone but that there isn't enough technology. The design side of Apple has taken too much leverage over the rest.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
What he means by "connected as ever" is that soon they will actually connect Jony Ive's body into a computer so that he can become the next Siri. It's his most daring design yet.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The new mac pros have best in class SSD/RAM - can power 2 5k monitors and have 4 USBc ports and are super thin.

...which is great for bragging rights, but how many users actually need that SSD performance, i/o bandwidth and screen estate but don't also need 32GB+ RAM and a beefier CPU and GPU? If you really are running 2x5k screens and a pair of TB3 RAID arrays then super thinness, ultimate battery life and a touch bar over the keyboard that you rarely touch might not be your top priorities. These are unbalanced designs: workstation-class I/O and storage hobbled by ultrabook CPU/GPU/RAM, betting the farm on a new connector and throwing everything else out, with key decisions based on what would fit within the pre-ordained 10% smaller case rather than what would make a well-rounded system.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I think its bad if he stays. He needs a counterpoise and Tim ain't it. The best thing for Ive is to leave, get his head out of his @#!#@$! and let Apple figure out its vision then come back with a fresh perspective. Overall I think he is a good designer, but he has outlived his usefulness in a company without a vision.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
...which is great for bragging rights, but how many users actually need that SSD performance, i/o bandwidth and screen estate but don't also need 32GB+ RAM and a beefier CPU and GPU? If you really are running 2x5k screens and a pair of TB3 RAID arrays then super thinness, ultimate battery life and a touch bar over the keyboard that you rarely touch might not be your top priorities. These are unbalanced designs: workstation-class I/O and storage hobbled by ultrabook CPU/GPU/RAM, betting the farm on a new connector and throwing everything else out, with key decisions based on what would fit within the pre-ordained 10% smaller case rather than what would make a well-rounded system.

Just Wow! This is best description I have heard so far of the current Apple MBP product line. its Disjointed. Extra power/speed for people that don't need it and not enough for people that do.

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
I am half convinced Ive is done with Apple design. Look at iPhone 6, 6s, 7. Apple Watch series 0, 1 and 2 are the same design. Also iPhone SE design looks too familiar...hmmmm. Let's not hope this is true.

Reactions: mkeeley

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Locked-down, disposable hardware running dumbed-down software is not the Apple I used to admire.

I'm of the 'form follows function' mindset.

'Less is more' isn't an absolute when it comes to design, and perhaps if Apple had less of that mindset they would have more. Thinner and less ports is not always better.

Sometimes 'Less is Less'. Ive's latest designs are a corporate vanity book and a christmas tree.

Last edited:

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
I think it's really important to 'move on' in business after a few years. Humans get very very stale when doing the same thing day after day, year after year. I think we've all seen that with Apple for quite a few years now.
I remember the excitement that the iPhone 4 created in the day - even though it had the worst camera that I've seen in a smartphone. Gosh, it was bad.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Ive wanted to leave CA and return to England long ago. It wouldn't be a big surprise to see him go and unlike some, I think it might actually benefit Apple to get a fresh perspective and new blood in product design. Now all we need is a CEO who can decide on a coherent product strategy...

I too would like to see him go. Sadly, it will be one of his brainwashed underlings to take his spot so his departure may not lead to the much needed improvement in design.

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London

jony_ive-250x286.jpg
Over the last few days, speculation has begun brewing over the potential winding down of Jony Ive's career at Apple, where he works as the company's chief design officer.

During an episode of "The Talk Show" podcast posted last Friday, John Gruber mentioned that he had recently heard Ive has been "checked out or not as directly involved with product design" at Apple, and instead focused on architecture projects for its campuses and retail locations.

Earlier this week, a couple of websites began sharing Gruber's words in stories angled with Ive's lessening involvement at Apple, backed up by the recent release of "Designed by Apple in California," which many look at as the designer's swan song within the company.

Rumors of Ive being "on his way out" of Apple have existed for a while, however, going back to his promotion to chief design officer last year. The position was described as allowing Ive to focus less on management and more on design, or as Gruber said, "the skeptic's take is that this new arrangement allows Ive to be less involved, period."

Following all of this, Gruber yesterday posted a new blog to clear up his original statement. He reiterated on the second and third-hand sources speaking of Ive's status in the company, stating that no one has directly mentioned Ive has stopped overseeing Apple's day-to-day product design, but what he's heard is from sources who "think" he has. After addressing the nuance he meant to convey during his podcast, Gruber admitted that he's in fact heard from "well-placed sources within Apple" that Ive is as devoted and involved as ever.
Gruber ultimately bet that Ive is "not going anywhere," because the arguments that state the designer is leaving Apple must also argue that he is giving up being a designer altogether, and "that doesn't sound right" to him. Addressing the recently released design book -- which covers all of Ive's history with Apple -- Gruber also mentioned that while it could be construed as a goodbye to Apple, "it feels to me like Ive's heartfelt goodbye to his best friend and colleague, five years gone. I don't think Jony Ive is going anywhere."

Check out the full blog post on Daring Fireball.

Article Link: Jony Ive Said to Be 'As Connected to Product Design as Ever' Following Speculation About His Role
Great news, for a second I was worried the iPhone would stop getting thinner.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
It must be extremely frustrating to read about speculation of your imminent departure in all the tech press, yet have zero intention of doing so. Also, what would he do next - retire? Doesn't seem like the sort of person who would be content with kicking back and relaxing for the rest of his life. He's still young. Plenty more left to give. By the same token, what other company could he move to and get the same level of satisfaction, exposure and importance? I can't think of one.

But is he really designing at Apple? What new products have they brought out recently? The Watch is the only one really. Everything else over the last decade is just tweaks here and there - variations on the same theme over and over.

If he's still hungry to design, it wouldn't surprise me if he's just bored.

Reactions: ssgbryan

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
(laughing)

I just don't see it. And that's the problem. :)

Don't we love lip-service, it's the new Apple product! It's amazing. Never before have we served so much lip-service in such a short time! Listen how we magically transform your experience by repeating the same phrases over and over again.

Listen!
New Macs... will arrive (at some point),
the next big thing... will arrive (sometime),
we have so many great things in the pipeline... (man, Apple, you've got pipelines which must be about the length of the USA!)

We love the pros... and we want their money (but we've got nothing to offer).
Ooops. Anti-climax.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The thing that concerns me as a shareholder is ... Heading into the busiest time of year for shopping with low or no supply of iPhones, MacBook Pros, Apple Watches and of course AirPods isn't good.

Black Friday is in two days.
Near the top of the MacRumors site is a banner for Black Friday deals.
Just above it is the buyers guide, showing a "Do Not Buy" warning on almost every item listed.

lol

I keep feeling like 2016 was an especially disappointing year, until I realize so were 2015, 2014, and 2013. The news just keeps getting worse, and people are obviously noticing. It's pretty rare spotting a post on here that's not deeply pessimistic.

Reactions: ssgbryan

kdarling

macrumors P6
But is he really designing at Apple? What new products have they brought out recently? The Watch is the only one really. Everything else over the last decade is just tweaks here and there - variations on the same theme over and over.

Even the Watch is just a repeat of an old theme:

Apple-Watch-original-iPhone.jpg

Some see a simplicity in this. I see someone playing it safe. YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.