Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
Why is leaving Apple the same as giving up on design altogether? It would be entirely possible for Jony Ive to go back to England and focus on his real passion, designing a car. There are what... like 7-8 Formular 1 teams just in Oksfordshire alone, most of them have their street model crew the same place.

icehockey77

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
My theory is he and Jobs kept each other in check. Without that leash, I feel he faces no opposition in his designs, and that's led to some of the laughable issues you are seeing in Apple's newest products.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I'm a bit surprised if Ive still wants to stay. It's been a pretty long and successful career at Apple and I would've thought it preferable to go out on top. It seems like the best days of rapid development and advancement are over at Apple anyway. Apple just wants to be a fashion company now. There've also been some recent misses (iPhone 6 bend-gate and touch disease) no doubt driven by a newfound priority of cost-cutting under Tim Cook. The new laptops are pretty but nothing groundbreaking. iOS is good but mostly the same as ever.

I wonder where his interest remains, aside from squilliins of dollars in cash that is. Surely he's rich enough that he could go into business for himself and design without the constraints of commercial pressures, or maybe he really gets off on maximising profits like Tim does. Who knows, we're all just speculating.

Reactions: ssgbryan

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
It must be extremely frustrating to read about speculation of your imminent departure in all the tech press, yet have zero intention of doing so. Also, what would he do next - retire? Doesn't seem like the sort of person who would be content with kicking back and relaxing for the rest of his life. He's still young. Plenty more left to give. By the same token, what other company could he move to and get the same level of satisfaction, exposure and importance? I can't think of one.
Ferrari..... comes to mind, they make / made huge fuss about Pininfarina design :D

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
He's a textbook case of how talent shrinks when you're surrounded by Yes Men who are afraid of questioning you.

Like JK Rowling's books growing by 150 pages every release, because her editor didn't dare step in.

Jdalbo

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
Designs are fine. The thing that concerns me as a shareholder is the lack of planning for supply. Heading into the busiest time of year for shopping with low or no supply of iPhones, MacBook Pros, Apple Watches and of course AirPods isn't good.

Reactions: brentonbrenton

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
the iPhone 7+ outlasts every other android phone in battery life by quite a bit (http://bgr.com/2016/10/20/pixel-xl-vs-iphone-7-plus-battery-life/) is gorgeous, has an incredible two camera system, best in class processor and is THIN. The new mac pros have best in class SSD/RAM - can power 2 5k monitors and have 4 USBc ports and are super thin. I'd say Jony is doing some of his best work ever.

Armandodj

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
Sure, Jony, sure, thinner it's better more adapters more money for Apple. Innovation my ass, you're ripping costumers since Steve passed away because you knew he will send back to the drawing board to make it look right. Too see a product that make sense, little by little you a have destroy a product like the Mac Book Pro. It's time for you and Tim to hit the road and bring new brains to Apple. Example: Apple TV no 4K, iPhone no headphone jack, Mac Pro no ports more adapters, please!!!!!

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Given the latest product designs, its quite evident that he's still in control and connected. Everything coming out of apple has less ports and thinner - definitely the handiwork of Jony.

With that said, I do think he's a fantastic designer, but fresh blood may interject some new designs and freshen up the products
I'm tired of thinness. Add a few more millimeters to the devices and fill ALL that extra space with battery. No one will notice a few extra millimeters of thickness but EVERYONE will notice a device that lasts 2 days or more on one charge.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
the iPhone 7+ outlasts every other android phone in battery life by quite a bit (http://bgr.com/2016/10/20/pixel-xl-vs-iphone-7-plus-battery-life/) is gorgeous, has an incredible two camera system, best in class processor and is THIN. The new mac pros have best in class SSD/RAM - can power 2 5k monitors and have 4 USBc ports and are super thin. I'd say Jony is doing some of his best work ever.

Stop that crazy talk. People here are not into facts. In a moment of weakness I would, however, add the iPhone 7 display with high performance DCI-P3 wide color gamut has been rated best by DisplayMate.

Apple's 2017 Q1 revenue guidance is in the range $76-78 billion. Appears Apple is on the road to an excellent quarter with tens of millions of people voting with open wallets purchasing Apple products. And Ive can take a ton of credit for that.

Reactions: johnnygee

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I can't stand this guy anymore, especially his obsession with anorexia. Just hearing his voice is enough to annoy me, good riddance if he does truly become less involved.

Reactions: -hh

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm tired of thinness. Add a few more millimeters to the devices and fill ALL that extra space with battery. No one will notice a few extra millimeters of thickness but EVERYONE will notice a device that lasts 2 days or more on one charge.
At this point, I think its diminishing returns, they're sacrificing too much just to make it 2 millimeters thinner.

Until people stop buying them, however Apple will continue down that path unabated. It doesn't matter how a segment of Apple's dedicated core, is complaining, if Apple sells more laptops, then their decision has been validated in their eyes and they'll continue to work on making it thinner.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Gruber realises he might have said something to upset Apple and quickly backtracks :D

For what it's worth I recently heard Peter Rojas (founder of Engadget/Gizmodo) say that he had heard that the only reason the Watch happened was because it was the only thing Ive was really interested in.

Reactions: heffsf

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Well the 6 series was design garbage. It was like owning a bad Android device. The changes to the 7 while minor made a Huge difference. It's actually beautiful.

Here is the thing though, how do you turn an inherently beautiful geometric shape like a rectangle with rounded corners hideous? Impossible you say! But the 6 series did Just that.

The 7 cleaned up nicely though. Maybe he put his spaceship duties aside for a moment to help out in cleaning up the 7 and hopefully with it almost finished he can spend more time with the design team.

The 6 series had pent up demand for a larger screen and I don't blame folks for getting that dog, but it's certainly the worst iPhone and maybe smartphone design ever concocted. ...well no that honor has to go to the Google Pixel.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.