Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedoc1111

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Same issue here with Pages and Keynote not appearing in SW Update - just download manually and they install fine.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Um, hey Eric? Do you really feel comfortable having your last name visible like that? In the pic where you showed the build #, someone could, I don't know, do something bad maybe.

I'm just cautious all the time with stuff like that. YMMV.

blufire

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Power Mac G4 MDD w/ 9600?

Hey, just curious if anyone's tried Tiger on a Power Mac G4 MDD with a Radeon 9600 or a 9000. I'm still running the stock 9000 Pro (64MB) in my Dual 1 GHz, and I'm wondering if it's worth the ~$100 to upgrade to a 9600 Pro (64MB) for Tiger. Thanks!!

Jun 24, 2004
blufire said:
Hey, just curious if anyone's tried Tiger on a Power Mac G4 MDD with a Radeon 9600 or a 9000. I'm still running the stock 9000 Pro (64MB) in my Dual 1 GHz, and I'm wondering if it's worth the ~$100 to upgrade to a 9600 Pro (64MB) for Tiger. Thanks!!

it would make games better and remove some of the processor load of image/video processing. make your own mind up.

Patron

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2005
What is the difference between 8A425 and 8A428? I mean is there difference between the last seed before the 1ts Gm candidate? Perhaps speed?

ryanh

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2005
Those of you that have Tiger and have installed it, what type of installs did you do? (update, clean install?)

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Patron said:
What is the difference between 8A425 and 8A428? I mean is there difference between the last seed before the 1ts Gm candidate? Perhaps speed?

No, there are more serious issues between the two seeds. I acnt really remeber but i think there were still quite a few bugs with 8A425, something with powerbooks or iBooks. Not really sure.

ryanh

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2005
mnkeybsness said:
archive and install is my option of choice.

I have only ever done clean installs. What does archive and install entail and why is it beneficial?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
8A428 still has quite a few bugs. A lot of them having to do with Finder. Finder is faster, but still many issues with setting up and removing network shares, even across pure Mac networks.

blufire

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
ryanh said:
I have only ever done clean installs. What does archive and install entail and why is it beneficial?

Archive & Install preserves your settings (basically your user library) in an archive folder. It effectively performs a clean install and then imports your old settings. This saves a lot of time and is often just as good as a clean install in terms of stability. It's generally more reliable than a straight upgrade, but may be not quite as seamless (I still think it's more worth it to do an archive & install). You can then erase the archived system when you've decided that your system has been running well and that you don't need any more of your old system files (I generally wait a few months before deleting the archive).

eric535g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Tiger Issues

You're right...somehow I didn't realize I was trying to update Keynote 2.0.1
when it was already updated...but I did get 3.5.0b2 from Softobe, and it resolved the issue with FoldersSynchronizer not launching.

-Eric

ryanh

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2005
blufire said:
Archive & Install preserves your settings (basically your user library) in an archive folder. It effectively performs a clean install and then imports your old settings. This saves a lot of time and is often just as good as a clean install in terms of stability. It's generally more reliable than a straight upgrade, but may be not quite as seamless (I still think it's more worth it to do an archive & install). You can then erase the archived system when you've decided that your system has been running well and that you don't need any more of your old system files (I generally wait a few months before deleting the archive).

So does it only save my library or does it archive my whole system?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Depends which options you pick.

You can choose to keep your user settings and apps. Then A&I installs a 'clean' version of your system before importing your user Home file and apps back. This means that your iApps will stay at 04 or 05 etc. The old 'System' is archived and lives in your System folder so you can go in and check on anything should you feel so inclined.

If you don't choose to keep your user settings, then your Home folder will also be archived IIRC.

I'm backing up my PB to an external on Thursday night and then will do an A&I on Friday. If all goes pear-shaped, I'll restore to my Panther backup.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Applespider said:
Depends which options you pick.

You can choose to keep your user settings and apps. Then A&I installs a 'clean' version of your system before importing your user Home file and apps back. This means that your iApps will stay at 04 or 05 etc. The old 'System' is archived and lives in your System folder so you can go in and check on anything should you feel so inclined.

So what does it mean System is archived? Does this mean all your Apps are archived for easy reinstallation?

Applespider

macrumors G4
If you choose to keep your user settings and apps, then they're not archived, they're just put back into the proper Apps folder for you.

When I did it last, it appeared to be all the things in System, System Folder, Frameworks and Library etc that were archived. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm of the school of 'if it works, don't question too hard' and when I've done it in the past (when I had a Panther problem and Apple suggested A&I), everything's worked perfectly.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Applespider said:
If you choose to keep your user settings and apps, then they're not archived, they're just put back into the proper Apps folder for you.

When I did it last, it appeared to be all the things in System, System Folder, Frameworks and Library etc that were archived. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm of the school of 'if it works, don't question too hard' and when I've done it in the past (when I had a Panther problem and Apple suggested A&I), everything's worked perfectly.

Ok thanks. So basically all your apps, user accounts (with email, folders, iTunes, iPhoto, bookmarks, etc etc) were immediately available and you didn't get anything you later needed to move across archived because it was only the old system files?

Applespider

macrumors G4
aswitcher said:
Ok thanks. So basically all your apps, user accounts (with email, folders, iTunes, iPhoto, bookmarks, etc etc) were immediately available and you didn't get anything you later needed to move across archived because it was only the old system files?

Yup - all present and correct. The only problem I had was with my Airport network, presumably since the firmware etc had been updated since my Restore CD was produced. As soon as I plugged in the ethernet and downloaded the OS X updates, all was OK again. My iLife apps stayed at the proper updated versions. I never had to move anything over from the archived files; I deleted the archived system folder a few weeks later.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Applespider said:
Yup - all present and correct. The only problem I had was with my Airport network, presumably since the firmware etc had been updated since my Restore CD was produced. As soon as I plugged in the ethernet and downloaded the OS X updates, all was OK again. My iLife apps stayed at the proper updated versions. I never had to move anything over from the archived files; I deleted the archived system folder a few weeks later.

Excellent. Weird how Apple docs dont sit their and spell this out in more detail for those who haven't done this before.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
boot from tiger dvd... launch disk utility.. format drive using write random zero option.. install tiger.. knock yourself out lol.. still the most clean way possible... i cannot stress it enough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.