Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
I just got my Mac Pro that I ordered from eBay, and the case is really damaged. The bottom front handle is dented in to the point that it barely stands up on it's own. Also, the front grill near where the disc drive is is dented, causing me not to be able to open the drive, since it is hitting the dented grill. What should I do? How do I fix it?

Pics:

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01966.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
Still under warranty?

You don't really have many solutions. If it's on warranty you can go right to an Apple shop so they can repair it for you.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
First thing, talk to the seller. Then talk to UPS, since it was probably damaged in transit (assuming the seller is legit, of course). I hope it was shipped with insurance...

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
that's not good. sorry about that.

I would advise you to first speak to the seller. See what he says, then evaluate the next course of action.

Keep us updated. cheers mate

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Still under warranty?

You don't really have many solutions. If it's on warranty you can go right to an Apple shop so they can repair it for you.

Nope, not under warranty.

First thing, talk to the seller. Then talk to UPS, since it was probably damaged in transit (assuming the seller is legit, of course). I hope it was shipped with insurance...

How can I check if it was shipped with insurance?

rs7

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
If it was falsely advertised you can dispute it through paypal or something.

On a side note, I mailed someone an outdated scanner, made sure to package it well....and the reciever said it came 100% damaged and unusable. They started a paypal dispute, I responded...and they never said anything back and it was just ended after inactivity.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pretty sure it's time to contact the seller, file a claim with the shipping company, talk to PayPal. Bottom line is this seems like a very simple and obvious course of action. I am sorry it happened to you.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Ouch.

Ya, as stated already: seller, ups, then paypal.

If you get nowhere, you can get a replacement Mac Pro case and transfer the components over. They are available regularly on Mac Pro parts websites and eBay.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Really sorry to hear that, I hate dealing with eBay. Contact the seller, if you don't get a reply in a few days, file a PP dispute.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Pretty sure it's time to contact the seller, file a claim with the shipping company, talk to PayPal. Bottom line is this seems like a very simple and obvious course of action. I am sorry it happened to you.

I already emailed the seller, I'll wait for his response. I'm going to call UPS now and file a claim.

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I already emailed the seller, I'll wait for his response. I'm going to call UPS now and file a claim.

Last week I had my first problem with an item I bought on ebay after years of doing business on there. It was a Playstation 3 and it was damaged in shipping it to me. I filed a claim with UPS and they said the claim is settled with the sender then he can reimburse me, which doesn't seem right if I file the claim (not to mention if he doesn't want to pay me back). They picked the item up and attemped to drop it back off to me every day for the next three days so I still have no idea what is going to happen.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Last week I had my first problem with an item I bought on eBay after years of doing business on there. It was a PlayStation 3 and it was damaged in shipping it to me. I filed a claim with UPS and they said the claim is settled with the sender then he can reimburse me, which doesn't seem right if I file the claim (not to mention if he doesn't want to pay me back). They picked the item up and attempted to drop it back off to me every day for the next three days so I still have no idea what is going to happen.

I called UPS and they said they were going to send a driver to my house tomorrow to inspect the damage. So, we'll see what happens then. But will they just reimburse me the $250 for the case, and then I will have to buy a new one and replace it myself?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I'd guess if it wasn't shipped in the original Apple box, they are going to look at it and say that it was improperly packaged.

This case design really doesn't ship well if the weight is only the handles in the box, they tend to self destruct in shipping.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
I'd guess if it wasn't shipped in the original Apple box, they are going to look at it and say that it was improperly packaged.

This case design really doesn't ship well if the weight is only the handles in the box, they tend to self destruct in shipping.

Yeah, I can see that. :( Well, looks like I'm either going to have to live with the case as it is, or buy a whole new case and replace the old one. Where can I buy a new case? eBay only had one.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I can see that. :( Well, looks like I'm either going to have to live with the case as it is, or buy a whole new case and replace the old one. Where can I buy a new case? eBay only had one.

Nice sig :p

And you don't have to, PayPal will most likely side with you and you will get a full refund. Ways the item very poorly packed? If so, it's the seller's fault regardless.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I don't get why you're sitting around writing that you "guess you have to live with it". That's ********! You bought a product and it was delivered to you damaged. To the extent the seller stated you were directly responsible for how it was packaged, I cannot for the life of me see why you'd settle for anything less than the unit replaced, repaired, or your money back. None of this should cost you any money.

WTF am I missing here?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
New Case, no PSU. :)
Certainly not cheap though, at $288.29

You will also have to reuse the internal case parts, presuming they are undamaged.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Nice sig :p

And you don't have to, PayPal will most likely side with you and you will get a full refund. Ways the item very poorly packed? If so, it's the seller's fault regardless.

The item was kind of loose in there when I opened it; it was double boxed, but the inside box was beat up badly.

I don't get why you're sitting around writing that you "guess you have to live with it". That's ********! You bought a product and it was delivered to you damaged. To the extent the seller stated you were directly responsible for how it was packaged, I cannot for the life of me see why you'd settle for anything less than the unit replaced, repaired, or your money back. None of this should cost you any money.

WTF am I missing here?

That's true, I'm just worried that I won't be able to find another deal on a Mac Pro. This only cost $1550, and it has a 1.4TB HD, and 8GB RAM.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
The auction you won states it was $35 for shipping, including insurance. So you will have to take it up with UPS I guess. If they say it was improperly packaged, you'll have to go back to the seller and possibly the payment method you used to try and get your funds back.

Good luck.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
The auction you won states it was $35 for shipping, including insurance. So you will have to take it up with UPS I guess. If they say it was improperly packaged, you'll have to go back to the seller and possibly the payment method you used to try and get your funds back.

Good luck.

But would that require me to return the Mac Pro? Stupid question, I know, but this is the only Mac Pro I've seen in a month go for under $1600, which is all the money I have to spend on a computer.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Still under warranty?

You are crazy if you think the Apple warranty would cover something like this. The Apple warranty does not cover accidental or intentional damage, nor does it cover damage from an item purchased on Ebay that is being shipped.

Where do people come up with these kind of ideas?

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
You are crazy if you think the Apple warranty would cover something like this. The Apple warranty does not cover accidental or intentional damage, nor does it cover damage from an item purchased on Ebay that is being shipped.

Where do people come up with these kind of ideas?

No kidding.

The warranty is for manufacturing defects, it's not insurance.

People who think like that are the same kinds who show up to the car dealership and say "I drove into a tree because I was drunk. Is that covered under warranty?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.