Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rs7

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
No kidding.

The warranty is for manufacturing defects, it's not insurance.

People who think like that are the same kinds who show up to the car dealership and say "I drove into a tree because I was drunk. Is that covered under warranty?"

While that is true....so we have to pay for the mistakes Apple makes? (ie. manufacturing defects)

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
unibody required

... ...
This case design really doesn't ship well if the weight is only the handles in the box, they tend to self destruct in shipping.
Off track:
We need a unibody Mac Pro. That'll be tougher to self destruct in shipping.

rs7

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Um, like I said… the warranty covers manufacturing defects. This is not a manufacturing defect.

I know it's not. I'm saying...so we have to pay for a warranty because our computer was made defective? We're paying to get a good quality product...why should we have to pay for problems due to manufacturing?

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
I know it's not. I'm saying...so we have to pay for a warranty because our computer was made defective? We're paying to get a good quality product...why should we have to pay for problems due to manufacturing?

The machine includes a 1 year warranty. If you don't find it sufficient, yes, you can pay to have it extended.

Why should you have to pay? Because Apple isn't insane enough to think their computers will last forever, but knows that the majority of real defects will probably appear in that first year. If you want a computer that will never fail or have manufacturing defects, be prepared to spend a hell of a lot more than a couple thousand bucks.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
This is why you NEVER buy a Mac Pro / Power Mac G5 that is not in the original packaging off eBay.

This must be like the 4th of 5th shipping horror story about this.

Sorry for the OP's bad luck. :(

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

Buying an extended warranty is just buying peace of mind, should something happen to your investment that's cause by or due manufacturing defects.

The most reliable 'computer' so-to-speak, would be our brains, even then isn't perfect, perhaps you can buy an insurance policy/extended warranty on that! :D Though, I don't think many, if anyone would know how to fix it if it failed you. :eek:

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The item was kind of loose in there when I opened it; it was double boxed, but the inside box was beat up badly.

That's true, I'm just worried that I won't be able to find another deal on a Mac Pro. This only cost $1550, and it has a 1.4TB HD, and 8GB RAM.

It may have been damaged to begin with. Contact PayPal and file a dispute, he poorly packed it resulting in the damage, or it may have been there to begin with, and PayPal would force him to refund all of your cash, return shipping included. Do not wait or leave feedback for him, doing so will release the hold on your payment. Also, UPS should cover what Apple would cost to replace the case, I'd take it up with them further.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
It may have been damaged to begin with. Contact PayPal and file a dispute, he poorly packed it resulting in the damage, or it may have been there to begin with, and PayPal would force him to refund all of your cash, return shipping included. Do not wait or leave feedback for him, doing so will release the hold on your payment. Also, UPS should cover what Apple would cost to replace the case, I'd take it up with them further.

Which brings me back to my original statement: that would require me to return the computer to him, and like I said, it's near impossible to find a deal this good on Mac Pros. I already have UPS coming by to inspect the damage tomorrow, what else should I do?

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Which brings me back to my original statement: that would require me to return the computer to him, and like I said, it's near impossible to find a deal this good on Mac Pros. I already have UPS coming by to inspect the damage tomorrow, what else should I do?

File a dispute after the UPS guy checks it out, IF they won't cover the entire cost of the repair from Apple. Otherwise, if you are paying $250 for a case, it's not too much of a deal anymore. For all you know, it could have been damaged to begin with the guy wants UPS to cover it. Have you contacted the seller yet? Do that in the meantime.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I already have UPS coming by to inspect the damage tomorrow, what else should I do?
It seems like you're stuck without any further answers ATM. Not until the UPS inspection is completed anyway.

Once that's done, go from there. Since the original packaging wasn't used, I would think UPS would deny any liability in the situation, and put it back on the seller. :( From that point, it would have to be handled through eBay, and their track record isn't the best from other posts in the forum.

That's why I was wondering if you would be inclined to repair it yourself. It might not look pretty, but would allow you to use it, and avoid the cost of a new case.

Hopefully, UPS would accept responsibility, but the packaging I think is going to really cause a problem. :(

Sorry things haven't yet been solved. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

Good luck. :)

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
File a dispute after the UPS guy checks it out, IF they won't cover the entire cost of the repair from Apple. Otherwise, if you are paying $250 for a case, it's not too much of a deal anymore. For all you know, it could have been damaged to begin with the guy wants UPS to cover it. Have you contacted the seller yet? Do that in the meantime.

The seller and I have been talking. I showed him pictures of the damage, and he agrees that it's UPS's fault. We're waiting for UPS to respond right now.

It seems like you're stuck without any further answers ATM. Not until the UPS inspection is completed anyway.

Once that's done, go from there. Since the original packaging wasn't used, I would think UPS would deny any liability in the situation, and put it back on the seller. :( From that point, it would have to be handled through eBay, and their track record isn't the best from other posts in the forum.

That's why I was wondering if you would be inclined to repair it yourself. It might not look pretty, but would allow you to use it, and avoid the cost of a new case.

Hopefully, UPS would accept responsibility, but the packaging I think is going to really cause a problem. :(

Sorry things haven't yet been solved. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

Good luck. :)

I hope it doesn't come to me having to repair the case; I hope UPS will cover the cost of a new one. But, like I said, we'll see tomorrow. :)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The seller and I have been talking. I showed him pictures of the damage, and he agrees that it's UPS's fault. We're waiting for UPS to respond right now.
It's certainly in his best interest.

BTW, how was it packed exactly? Was it just loose inside the inner box, or was it packed with some foam or other material?

I hope it doesn't come to me having to repair the case; I hope UPS will cover the cost of a new one. But, like I said, we'll see tomorrow. :)
I would hope it's not going to fall to you either. :D
But paying damages isn't something UPS likes to do. From my personal expirience, I've had better luck when the returns involved a business, rather than an individual.

I worked for UPS during college. You'd be amazed at some of the damage that occurs to packages. No matter how it was packed. And they didn't like to admit the damage was theirs if they could divert blame. :eek: ;)

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
BTW, how was it packed exactly? Was it just loose inside the inner box, or was it packed with some foam or other material?

It was packed with paper bags, air bubbles, and packing peanuts in the inner box. Here are some pics of the damaged box:

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01976.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
From what I can tell in the photos, (thanks for posting them BTW), it didn't get packed well. Too little material used in the inner box, and really no protection between the inner and outer box.

The seller should have used a larger outer box, ~3" clearance on all sides, and loaded it with peanuts. Too little spacing between what he used. :(

I would think UPS is going to kick it back to the seller, IMO.

Still, I hope it turns out OK, and you get everything resolved. :)

Good luck.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
Wow thats pretty bad packing.

I got a powermacg5 sometime early in the year and it wasnt very expensive at all (under 450) and the seller even packed that efficiently...they wrapped a few layers of bubble wrap around the machine and filled the entire box with packing peanuts and it didnt move an inch inside there.
Well i believe UPS packed it, which the seller should have let pack this machine. it doesnt cost that much if at all ....

UPS info if you dont have it:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/sri/cla_faq02.html
Number: 1-800-742-5877

Generally what might happen is UPS will contact the seller and refund the amount they claimed on the package (to the seller), maybe the whole amount maybe not, UPS doesnt specify and can be rather hard to deal with; especially in matters like this. And then the seller may be in charge of disbursing portion of that money to you...(id call UPS

Definitely talk with UPS, but at the same time get ahold of PayPal & eBay immediately. chances are he already transferred the funds to his account so they probably didnt have a chance to hold them.

Atleast get enough money to cover the cost of the repair, maybe get an estimate from a store or AASP (apple authorized service provided)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Stop talking on here and speak to PayPal, if you used PayPal your covered. Speak to them, do it. And keep in very good contact with the seller. If UPS tell U to **** then make a claim through PayPal for your money back as it is NOT YOUR FAULT. It is the sellers AND UPS's fault.

Also to other posters on here, Apple IS responsible if you buy a product of them directly and you receive it in a damaged state. It is NOT your responsibility to make a claim against the courier.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yeah I hope you get this settled with UPS. This why the G5/MPs should be shipped flat inside their original or at least the styrofoam insert to support the case evenly. That does look like it was dropped from a distance and the lack of proper packaging will allow it to move and "Self Destruct". Even if it were dropped, I think it's still more of the person who packaged it then the person who dropped it.

Good luck and keep us posted. That's sad to see that much carnage done to such a beautiful Mac :(.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
You could always ask for a partial refund to repair the case if ups doesn't cover it, then you won't have to ship it back to him and you won't lose this good deal.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
What did UPS say? If they are putting you on hold, file a dispute now. It's his fault for not packing it appropriately. If UPS refunds you, you can simply drop it.

UPS sent an email to me requesting me to send them pictures of the damage. I just did that, so I'll see what they say.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
UPS sent an email to me requesting me to send them pictures of the damage. I just did that, so I'll see what they say.
Hopefully, they'll have an answer for you tomorrow. One that ultimately, lets you keep the computer, and pay for the case repairs. ;)

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.