Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Any keyboard enthusiasts here?

I'm considering The Q3 with brown switches. I keep going back and forth on wired vs. wireless but at the end of the day, I saw little reason for wireless plus I get more options with the Q3 over the K8 pro. K8 tray mounted and comes only black. The Q3, has superior mounting technology, i.e., gasket and as shown below I can have silver or black trays. I'm not really digging the black and blue keys.

I am a little unsure about losing the num pad, but if I was honest with myself its not something I use as much as I used too.

I think the old sentimental self is drawn to this retro option, it definitely reminds me of my early days of owning computers.

2022-11-22_8-00-43_2.png

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Love Keychrons - used a K2 with Blue switches with my desktop setup here until I took that back to the office (and returned to a trad. Apple keyboard).

Also have a C2 that I'm using right now with my WFH setup. Losing the number pad with the K2 was a bit of an adjustment, but not a big one for me as I didn't use it a whole lot in my day to day browsing, typing etc.

Wired vs wireless didn't factor into it for me at all either. So yeah, I think I'd lean toward the Q3 there too.

(Replaced the keycaps on both as well - got this for the K2 (link) and this for my C2 (link) )

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Santa's bringing me a K5 SE this year.

Nice, I'm still obsessing over the numpad. Its funny, I avoid laptops with a full keyboard, but I'm having trouble giving it up on my main keyboard. Most of the time, I'm not using the numpad, and overall, it seems the enthusiest keyboard world is more about 60 to 80% sized keyboard and the full size is a redheaded step child - The TKL looks cleaner imo

2022-11-23_7-56-53.png

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I’d love to test/use a Keychron but my issue is that I need a Swiss ISO layout (with the large Enter key). Having trouble finding or ordering such a version.

The gray layout looks fantastic! Would love that.

I’m using a Logitech Mechanical Mini for Mac since a few days. Works well so far but probably not comparable to any Keychron. My Extended II keyboard was THE BEST but just too big for my desk.

Attachments

• 19E94CE6-1190-4269-A883-E41F9136B4E4.jpeg
    19E94CE6-1190-4269-A883-E41F9136B4E4.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: mr_jomo and maflynn

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Nice, I'm still obsessing over the numpad. Its funny, I avoid laptops with a full keyboard, but I'm having trouble giving it up on my main keyboard. Most of the time, I'm not using the numpad, and overall, it seems the enthusiest keyboard world is more about 60 to 80% sized keyboard and the full size is a redheaded step child - The TKL looks cleaner imo

View attachment 2117623
I have a Q5 (the 1800 layout) on my work computer. Gives the benefit of a num pad but with less width than the full-sized 104-key layouts. It's an awesome keyboard (Gateron brown switches).
I also have a Q1 version 1 at home and love it as well. Did some mods to it to improve the sound (swapped out case foam and did the so-called force break mod). Helped quite a bit.
The retro color you've got posted above looks great, btw.

Reactions: maflynn

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I was led to Keychron when I was looking for a keyboard that comes without the number pad but that retains full sized layout of the arrow and other keys (home, page up, etc.).

I never use the number pad and it just makes the placement of the mouse farther right than necessary. I have been enjoying my Keychron for a long while now and no regrets.

You can always get a standalone number pad later if you find that you want it occasionally. That way you can put it aside most of the time when you don't need it, and you can also put it on the left or right side as you prefer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You can always get a standalone number pad later
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Also the idea of muscle memory, I probably won't notice it missing too much once I get this keyboard. Back in the day when I worked finance, running reports and generating data for charge backs, the numpad was a necessity - and now at this point I use it even for light work that the normal number row could handle.

Reactions: antiprotest

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
TKL works for me (software eng - finance / fintech)

I go for the Durgod K320 cherry MX red silent (wired) because I will be stabbed in the face after a few hours of tapping on anything else 🤣.

I replaced the keytops with some Mac PBT ones off ebay and remapped with Karabiner.

Not sure if I don't prefer the magic keyboard TBH as this is connected to a 14" MBP M1 and the magic keyboard is closer to the macbook one which means less pain switching between them. I can type for hours on the magic keyboard with no strain but not so much with the Durgod...

Ass end of a 1987 HP 12C financial calc there too. Another good keyboard 😎

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    534.5 KB · Views: 211

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I just ordered the retro version of the Q3 QMK :)

Keychron has a nice BF sale going on, if you're tempted or planning on getting on, don't wait. :)

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I have :

Keychron V6 QMK Custom Mechanical Keyboard (this is the latest 100%, love it)

K14 Hot-Swap - K14 RGB Aluminum-Gateron (sitting in my drawer, I might work out a way to put it on my PC) but need a long cable as I can't get Bluetooth to ok well on my PC)

K12 Hot-Swap - K12 RGB Aluminum - Gateron (Got it for my iPad, but my kid now owns that, so i've relegated it to my loungeroom for AppleTV duties, love it for that)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The Q3, arrived last night, I waited till today to open and set it up. Mostly, to de-clutter and clean my desk. It had gotten really out of hand and even before getting this keyboard I new what needed to be done

Like most people I've used many keyboards, including but not limited to the famous and beloved IBM 5150 keyboard that came with the OG, IBM PC. I hate chiclet keys, so that largely means I avoid Mac keyboards. I have a Razer keyboard (huntsman I think) that is collecting dust. Its not bad, but its too plasticy and the typing experience isn't as good as I wanted. I've been using the DAS keyboard and in all truthfulness I thought that was a heavy keyboard - until this was delivered. The DAS keyboard weighs in at 2.6 lbs, compared the chonky 4.4lbs

The keys feel quite different and the sound is a lot quieter then the DAS keyboard (the DAS keyboard used clicky blues and for the Keychron I wanted Browns. The keys feels a lot more solid, less plasticy. Perhaps that's the difference between the ABS and Keychron's double shot PBT keycaps. Out of the box its set up for mac, but this will be used primarily on my desktop and work laptop, via KVM switch, so I switched out the Mac keys for PC.

The retro keycaps look sharp, so no regerts there. The pulsating LED is a bit annoying, so I’ll have to load the Via/QMK software to adjust it.

The lack of a numpad is already requiring an adjustment to my muscle memory. I frequently and absent mindly hit the num pad's enter key as I type.

Keychron has a 7 day return period - which kind of sucks. So I need to put this through its paces now and decide if tis a good fit. As it stands, I'm finding it more enjoyable to type on this then the DAS keyboard. I never thought the Cherry Blue switches were annoyingly loud, but now that I'm typing away on this, its a lot better

1669906929629.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You know what. I just looked at my first post and the what was shown on their website is different then what I got

If I look deeply on my keyboard, yes, the alpha keys grey but no where as deep as the picture, this does offer a pang of disappointment. The picture in my post above, shows a light great and this picture shows a deeper gray I'm sure the RGB is altering my perception.

I'll still put it through its paces and see if its a keeper or not

1669907261381.png

Reactions: BigMcGuire

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
A bit of an update - evidently these Keychron keyboard have issues with KVMs Googling brings a number of reddit hits.

This presents a show stopper for me, but first I'm going to try a couple things that are in the reddit. First try using an unassigned usb port on my KVM instead of the keyboard port. I believe the keyboard usb port listens for key combinations, i.e., hot keys to switch.

Second option which I'm not jazzed up about trying is using QMK to re-flash with NKRO_ENABLE = no in rules.mk I googled flashing/qmk and its something I'm not quite ready to undertake.

• Wow
Reactions: BigMcGuire

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011

View attachment 2117623
I'm thinking of trying out a keychron keyboard without the number pad. I don't use it all the time but the times when I use it I'm glad I have it.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
when I use it I'm glad I have it.
Same, I use it when I'm not even thinking about it. I mentioned that I use the num pad's enter key. I didn't even realize I was hitting that until I changed the keyboard over.

I need to give the keyboard some more time, and if I can offer any sort of suggestion, buy it from Amazon. I was looking into the return policy of Keychron, and you have to pay for the return shipping. So not only are you paying a high shipping amount (it was 20 bucks) to get the keyboard, you'll have to pay to return it. Plus Keychron's return policy is 7 days :oops:

I don't want a knee jerk reaction, so I'll give it more time and see if the loss of the numpad is really an issue for me. Since I only have a week to decide and if I return it, I'm on the hook for shipping, so I'll need a damn good reason to return it, LOL

I think the KVM issue is behind me, using a different usb port worked. I wished I thought of that before jumping to conclusions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Day 2 update.
As mentioned, plugging the keyboard into one of the other USB ports on the KVM switch, so I'm happy about that.
Secondly, I can alter or at least turn off the LED lighting on the keyboard via hot key combinations. I'm happy about that. I thought I'd have to use Via or QMK to make the changes. I think if I wanted a custom setup, then yes that would be the case.

I'm loving the feel and sound of the keyboard, BUT I'm like 80% sure I'm going to initiate a RMA and proceed to return this. I'm just having a hell of time living without a numpad. Yes, I can buy a dedicate usb/numpad and that has crossed my mind, if I'm going that route, why even bother and just get a full keyboard. A dedicated numpad increases the desktop clutter, and I lose a usb port off my KVM and those are hard to come by (only have 4).

I'll keep using the keyboard today, but like I said I'm just about convinced that Q6 is going to be a better fit for my needs. I might as well bite the bullet sooner then later and not live with this compromise. Given the expense, why be unhappy about a missing feature that I rely on.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Day 3 update:
Looks like if you purchased a Keychron directly from them and want to do a return, you need to send it to Hong Kong :oops:

Looks like I can live without a num pad. It really is a great keyboard, and if I had any regrets (which I really don't) its not buying it from Amazon. I bought it directly, for two very good reasons. Black Friday sales were happening with the vender, and the keyboard I wanted wasn't in stock with amazon

Any advise I can give, is get it from amazon, it allows more flexibility

Reactions: Chuckeee

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Last time I looked the choices were quite limited compared to the Keychron website's.
There's an ebb and flow on Amazon. I think due to being the holiday shopping season, has caused many keyboards to be out of stock. I just looked and there's less now then when I was looking to buy on BF

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Day 2 update.
As mentioned, plugging the keyboard into one of the other USB ports on the KVM switch, so I'm happy about that.
Secondly, I can alter or at least turn off the LED lighting on the keyboard via hot key combinations. I'm happy about that. I thought I'd have to use Via or QMK to make the changes. I think if I wanted a custom setup, then yes that would be the case.

I'm loving the feel and sound of the keyboard, BUT I'm like 80% sure I'm going to initiate a RMA and proceed to return this. I'm just having a hell of time living without a numpad. Yes, I can buy a dedicate usb/numpad and that has crossed my mind, if I'm going that route, why even bother and just get a full keyboard. A dedicated numpad increases the desktop clutter, and I lose a usb port off my KVM and those are hard to come by (only have 4).

I'll keep using the keyboard today, but like I said I'm just about convinced that Q6 is going to be a better fit for my needs. I might as well bite the bullet sooner then later and not live with this compromise. Given the expense, why be unhappy about a missing feature that I rely on.
You should be able to turn on/off the lighting and change the pattern, hue and saturation settings all from key combinations. You don’t need to dive into to Via just to change the settings. I have two Q-series keyboards from Keychron and that’s how mine work. Can’t remember all the key combos off hand, but it’s something like fn-tab, fn-Q, fn-W, fn-s and fn-d or something. I believe they’re listed on a card that came with the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.